#73 The Azure Dragon and Shuai Jiao

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Postby GrahamB on Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:47 pm

"Shuai Jiao is a popular modern Chinese martial art, but is it related to other arts and if so, which ones? In this episode we also look at the Chinese cosmological concept of Qinglong, or the Azure Dragon."

https://www.spreaker.com/user/9404101/7 ... shuai-jiao
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: #73 The Azure Dragon and Shuai Jiao

Postby GrahamB on Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:03 pm

The Azure Dragon on the national flag of China during the Qing dynasty, 1889-1912
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Good discussion about mongolian, manchu and general shit etc.

Your friend says that Chinese grammar is not hard and starts to speak about tones, which is not really an issue of grammar. Some dialects understand each other very well, others are very different. So you can't really generalize in that way. Sometimes In mandarin, if you use wrong tones the meaning becomes completely different and leads to misunderstandings.

My Chinese teacher used to give an example about a guy asking a girl in the reception of a hotel about the cost for a room per night. He got one tone wrong and asked: "Can I kiss you for a whole night, how much would it cost?

For the grammar speaking, many people believe it's simple, but this is wrong. In written Chinese grammar can be extremely complex with very long sentences. In middle school Chinese classes, they sometimes pick articles from newspapers looking for grammatical mistakes. Even very few Chinese people write good advanced Chinese. Also, the grammar and what characters you use depend on what you write. Literary, news or medical language all have their specific conventions. So the Chinese language is very, very hard. Even for Chinese.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Greg J on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:12 am

My Chinese teacher used to give an example about a guy asking a girl in the reception of a hotel about the cost for a room per night. He got one tone wrong and asked: "Can I kiss you for a whole night, how much would it cost?

Vietnamese is like this as well. I once tried to order a Vietnamese dessert (three bean dessert), got the tone wrong for bean and ordered "three blood desert." Also, I called my mother in law "ghost" a couple of times by mistake...which made her and my wife kind of laugh...but not really :-[
Greg J
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan