Neigong and Taijiquan?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Neigong and Taijiquan?

Postby dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:49 pm

I am currently assisting with a more advanced nei kung improvement class at our tai chi school. It is a deep dive into the 10 exercises that make up our group class and the nei kung system handed down by our Sifu. We drill and correct only one exercise per session, but in a regular class we do all 10 in one hour with the light low. I have been teaching that class for many years. Here are the names of the exercises:
Horse Stance (first 20 minutes or so)
Riding the Wild Horse
Playing Pipa
The Compass
Double Dragons Leap from Sea
Rhinoceros Gazes at Moon
Riding the Tiger
Phoenix Spreads its Wings
Hitting the Tiger
Owl Turns Head

Some may say that there are no short cuts in tai chi development, but this stuff speeds up the process for sure. You just have to be prepared to "eat the bitter" when starting out.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:00 pm

What lineage do these come down thru
A bit hard to work out from the names what they look like
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi Wayne,

I am not sure if my Sifu (RIP) learned most of them from his primary tai chi teacher (an old Yang style, very round like the Dong/Tung family). I do know there are other exercises not in the set, some of which (such as Golden Tortoise) are very challenging. I also know that Phoenix is from his old Buddha Palm days. So basically, the set is his own recipe.
I can't post them because we sell the book and DVD. But you know what horse looks like and pipa is more or less just a few-minute holding of the tai chi posture (aka lift hands/play guitar) on each side. Owl is horse with head turns. Dragons are like a deep tai chi push, slow and fast both sides.
Last edited by dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:49 pm

Sounds like Wu
Rhino looks at the moon and golden turtle are in the 24 noi gung
Is riding wild horse is one where you sit in a horse squat down push both hands forward then back similar to one in the Tien Kan
Last edited by wayne hansen on Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:47 pm

That is correct for riding wild horse (while doing what look like squats). And yes, my teacher also studied Wu.
Last edited by dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:48 pm

Agree with Wayne, some of those exercises sound like they come from the Wu 24 neigong set, especially Rhino Gazes at the Moon
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:51 pm

Yeah, and my Sifu was from HK.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:07 pm

I looked at the material on this site and see some commonalities, not only with our nei kung set, but with our lighter qi gong one (swallows, herding goats, etc.). You guys are right and I think our current Sifu mentioned something about the Wu origins recently.

https://neilrosiak.com/24-tai-chi-neigong-exercises/
Last edited by dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:50 pm

I like his explanations
Would love to see the second 12
A while back I took all my noi gung sets
Tien kan
Zhong He
Yang tai chi
Took my students through the sets and showed where they overlapped and differed
We all loved those classes
After I told them to pick their favourites and just practice them
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby dragonprawn on Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:06 am

Hi Wayne,

If I am correct about the name matches on some of those twelve, then they would be in the third DVD (supplemental exercises) of this set (they are not in the book).
Last edited by dragonprawn on Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby yangmingshan on Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:40 am

Rhen wrote:It really seems to be imported from Taoist neigong mainly through the Jin shan pai tradition it seems. Zhang Qilin learned from 3rd patriarch of Jin Shan Pai Zou Yifeng.

Does anyone know about the connections/differences between JinShanPai (金山派) and JinDanPai (金丹派) ?

In this artice Zuo Laifeng (or Zuo Yi Dao, or Single Sabre Strike Zuo) is referred to as "a Daoist Master of the Jin Dan branch (金丹派),".

"There were a lot of martial artists who resided in Shanxi (山西) Province. But Zhang was never defeated when he had bouts with boxers in Shanxi. People ranked Zhang as “the number one boxer in Shanxi .” One day, Zhang heard that Zuo Yifeng (左一峰), a Daoist Master of the Jin Dan branch (金丹派), had achieved a high level in Neigong skills. Zhang went to Zuo and, feigning interest as a potential student, asked about his skills. Zuo said that, “You may attack me by any methods and I promise I won’t fight back.” Then, Zhang launched an attack using Parry and Punch. However, when Zhang’s fist touched Zuo’s body, Zuo didn’t move, but Zhang couldn’t help being bounced backward and went flying away. Zhang then honestly and sincerely asked to become a disciple of Zuo and learn his Daoist Neigong. Zuo accepted Zhang and taught him. "
https://discuss.yangfamilytaichi.com/vi ... php?t=4263
yangmingshan
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan