Wang Lanting

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wang Lanting

Postby Shinobi on Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:12 pm

I remember reading, probably on here, that there were some Tai Chi writings attributed to Yang Luchan's student, Wang Lanting. Do any of you have a link to them? I haven't been able to find anything.

Also, are there are lineages around today that come down from him, apart from Li Ruidong style? I found this form interesting, described as 'Wang Lanting's Taijiquan as modified by Li Ruidong'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SB2WRVkSb0
Shinobi
Santi

Re: Wang Lanting

Postby yeniseri on Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:50 pm

Here is a sample! Use search engines Baidu or Sogou or both a sbaseline for 'correct information' due to translation errors.

Wang Lanting was rough though disciplined and he allegedly hit a Yang family member and that disqualifieid him from being part of "lineage". It seems that not much is written of him in public but all say that he was better than the sons of Yang Luchan, hence his "banishment" disappearance from the Yang memory. NOTE: Personal point of view and information from 2 of my former teachers.
It is stated that he was one of the first disciples of Yang Luchan. The attached article "reference" states that many of Yang's first students were bannermen (QIng/Manchu people, which goes against the story that taijiquan was was Han only.

You can do your own research, as you wish. Good hunting

http://www.manyanu.com/new/92dc762eabae ... 2c9780f73d
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Shinobi on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Thanks yeniseri. I'd read before that he was considered the best of Yang Luchan's students, but not that he was one of the first. When searching about him and Li Ruidong recently, one page actually said that he only became a student of Yang Luchan in the late 1860s. I didn't think that made much sense but then it went on to say that Yang Luchan died later than 1872, sometime between 1875-1880. It would make more sense him being one of the first students if he ended up so good, rather than coming along later on.

I should really start to bookmark more of these pages as I go along. While I was at it another one mentioned how there is actually no known image of Yang Luchan, just a made up image based on one of Yang Shaohou's photos because apparently he was the one who looked most similar to Luchan.
Shinobi
Santi

Postby Shinobi on Thu May 04, 2023 5:48 am

I had thought that the only remnant of Wang Lanting's lineage was with Li style but on the Chinese Wikipedia page about Yang Taiji, there is reference to 'Wangfu Royal Taiji' with the lineage of Yang Luchan - Wang Lanting - Zhou Yuxiang - Wu Jinyuan - Ye Jinshan.

I can't find much information beyond this. Are any of you familiar with this lineage?
Shinobi
Santi

Postby cloudz on Thu May 04, 2023 7:39 am

He also shows up in the lineage of Cheng Ting Hungs Wu style (Hong Kong)
google will turn up a bunch of links

Cheng Tin-hung first learned Tai Chi Chuan from his uncle, Cheng Wing-kwong, who was one of only three “inside the door” students of Wu Jian-chuan. His uncle taught widely in South East Asia, particularly in Malaysia. However, However, Chen Wing-kwon later brought Qi Min-xuan from Henan Province to teach his sons and nephews.

Qi Min-xuan was from Wen County, Hebei Dao in Henean Province. He had adopted the Buddhist name of Zhi Meng, which means Sagacious Elder. Qi was originally taught by his father Qi Ke-san, but his main teacher was a Buddhist monk named Ching Yat (another Buddhist name, which means Pure One).

Ching Yat had befriended the renegade sodier, Wang Lan-ting, who had (after killing some Manchus) been forced to flee to the temple where Ching Yat resided.

Wang had learned from Chen Keng-yun, the son of Chen Chang-xing, and later from later from Yang Lu-chan. Apart from the fact that he was an officer in the Manchu Imperial Guard and the top student of Yang not much is known of Wang or who was taught by him.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue May 09, 2023 12:12 pm

I checked my above link and found that it had chenged so I will attempt to find the link again.
There used to be a "lineage" (scroll) list of people who studied with Yang Luchan but I am unable to find it. If anyone does a baidu or sogou search, please link.

I do recall that Wang Lanting was slated to be an inheritor ??? but it was unknown the reason why he was not chosen.
My opwn feeling is that since Yang (Luchan) had just learned Chen and he allegedly began to form his own family line, he had to transfer
the line to a family member to assert dominance of his own lineage as opposed to continuing the Chen lineage where he was not a Chenjiaogou clan member ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Fri May 12, 2023 5:25 pm

Thanks for participating in this discussion and posting information, links, etc. It’s a topic and people I know little of nothing about.
twocircles13
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan