Taijijian (straight sword)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Taijijian (straight sword)

Postby yeniseri on Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:34 am

Other than form practice for jian (straight sword), I often utilize it as part of a functional fitnes program for upper and lower body for my students.

It assists in range of motion integrity as one gets older and decreases the sarcopenia related to inactivity of the whole body (musculoskeletal system).
It invigorates the "meridians' through the various patterns of movement (degree and ability) per flexion, extension, etc. By going through the movements (figure 8, raising , lowereing extending, etc) we strengthen brain plasticity over time as it alows stronger firing of brain synapses making it more resilient in the long run.

My secondary purpose integrates a martial aspect as 'entertainment" (based on age of participant) meaning initial use as swordpaly though realizing that even officers othe former Qing and modern military used it as a ceremonial display of authority. NOTE: I wa a fencer for 5 years and used foil as weapon of choice)

Does anyone do anything similar or different in teahcing jian? I am aware that many just teach form, class over then that is it.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Re: Taijijian (straight sword)

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:52 pm

I use the sword as a pushing hands partner
My pushing went up a level when I learnt the sword
We must not forget it is part of the 5 phases
Fist/earth
Pole/wood
Spear/fire
Knife/metal
Sword/water
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Taijijian (straight sword)

Postby zrm on Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:52 pm

I agree with wayne in that practicing the jian elevates an understanding of body method. I had not heard of those five phases before but I like the analogy.

I feel that the most comprehensive internal Jian art from China to survive into modern times (although I'm sure there's others around) is actually General Li Jing Lin's "Wudang Sword", parts of which have been adopted and taught in many schools teaching Yang Taiji . Li Jing Lin also practiced an early style of Yang Taiji and Li Tian Ji was a famous Yang stylist who was also a Wudang sword stylist. Incidentally, Li Tian Ji was the Yang stylist they got to simplify Taiji into the 24 form, although he says he has mixed feelings about how that turned out. Anyway, my school was not a Yang Taiji school but we also adopted Wudang sword methods for learning the Jian.

The Wudang Sword system is different to a lot of martial art systems in China in that in only covers the Jian and nothing else and could be considered a Chinese equivalent of a Kenjutsu school. You can spar / duel with it, although I found it's methods are very different and difficult to translate to modern western fencing which admittedly I've only ever took a few lessons in.

Anyway you can see Li Tian Ji teaching attack and response drills and something akin to partner based push hands with the jian in this vid

Here is an overview of the 13 basic core methods.

Here is a solo form by Li Tian Ji

The two person form could be considered a variation of two person moving step push hands.

And here is some books from the 1930s on Wudang Sword written by Huang Yuanxiu with a cameo from Chu Guiting, who both also studied under Yang Cheng Fu
https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... ang-sword/
https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... ord-notes/

Anyway I hope these resources might provide you some good ideas on how to expand your jian practice.
zrm
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan