Meditation and taijiquan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Meditation and taijiquan

Postby everything on Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:39 pm

cloudz wrote:In terms of position, recent years i favour lying down, corpse I suppose in yoga.

I guess you are focusing on internal aspects more and that can vary from 'shen' practices or energetic and so on. then it can depend how that translates to your taijiquan. it can only widen your circle of knowledge and experience imo.

think it makes it easier to focus on the internal. .... ummmm, yes "invisible energy"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:44 pm

possibly the best feint ever in the most popular sport

but presumably "internal" work/skill/energy/power is what would seem more interesting in an internal MA forum. lol.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:15 am

everything wrote:possibly the best feint ever in the most popular sport

but presumably "internal" work/skill/energy/power is what would seem more interesting in an internal MA forum. lol.

What's the connection to meditation?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Graculus on Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:39 pm

@ everything - this is a great example of Messi's skill, but is he really doing anything different (except in degree) from what every aspiring soccer kid does in the playground? You move the ball one way, then the other, so beating your opponent. Sure, there are refinements of timing, weight transfer etc to make it more effective, but essentially it is a natural skill that kids practice in all kinds of physical activities as they grow up.

In the internal arts, for want of a better term, I am familiar with, you are (to a lesser or greater degree) concentrating on moving something within the body and from this producing an external effect. Footballers are concentrating on moving the ball (and their bodies) through space. The effect may be the same (or better or worse), but you are going at it in a different way.

I can see the possibility of internal use in sports, but whether it would help players win is another matter. For most, it would probably not be an efficient use of their time.

graculus
https://ichijoji.blogspot.com
Graculus
Huajing

Postby everything on Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:14 pm

hahahaha yup that is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make.

we blather endlessly here on sports type stuff. for me, his move (no touch that "drops" boateng) is that type of stuff. I also absolutely do LOVE it, but it's the same stuff every kid can do taken to the best degree possible. and it makes sense since MA is just "sports". IMA is more interesting, but it's harder to discuss. sadly.
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:28 am

Graculus wrote:I can see the possibility of internal use in sports, but whether it would help players win is another matter. For most, it would probably not be an efficient use of their time.

I taught my track and field athletes to use yi in both their events and in weight training. It helped.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:08 am

re.: position in meditation

standing meditation
is most beneficial in "not achievement" terms,
but
this is very close to >meditation in movements< , ie - practicing long form
however
you`re have to be really good in standing to get similar fruits
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:17 am

Taste of Death wrote:I taught my track and field athletes to use yi in both their events and in weight training. It helped.

interesting

What do you feel "yi" is
How did it help those in the events
Was it anything very different than what others in the events knew or used in their practices.

Asking out of curiosity.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:05 am

Soccer players must know hidden force
I have seen them knock over each other without touching
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:42 am

wayne hansen wrote:Soccer players must know hidden force
I have seen them knock over each other without touching

@everything.

One of the reasons people don't like to discuss much...Its funny
some things never change. ;)

This might help in understranding

Master Fung: Hunyuan strength is not just physical strength. Typically we study three aspects of Hunyuan strength, the actual physical strength, the flexibility of that strength and strength of the associated energy field.

By physical strength we mean the actual capacity of the body to generate force. Flexibility refers to the capacity to deliver that physical strength at various angles and circumstances.

Field strength refers to the concentration or quality of the practitioner's energy field. Field strength exercises help us directly develop and utilize this energy field to further refine Hunyuan strength.
http://www.yichuankungfu.com/cheuk-fung/empty-force/

A: [Wang Xiangzhai’s disciple, now deceased] Ao Shi-peng once told me an anecdote that took place while China was in the thrall of ‘Qigong mania’ [in the 80s]. Ao asked M Yao about the ‘fa gong’ [external release of qi], and asked whether Yiquan could produce this kind of ability too.

At first, M Yao was reluctant to talk about this kind of thing, but eventually, seeing that Ao wasn’t going to drop it, sighed and raised his hand. Bear in mind that Ao and M Yao were separated by a dining table at this point. M Yao lifted his hand and made a very small fa li motion towards Ao’s face.

Ao felt as if a large mass of paper had hit his forehead, it scared him witless. Have you ever come across this ability?

https://wulinmingshi.wordpress.com/2009 ... n-part-iv/

interesting reading for the new year..

Happy new yr :)
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Graculus wrote:In the internal arts, for want of a better term, I am familiar with, you are (to a lesser or greater degree) concentrating on moving something within the body and from this producing an external effect. Footballers are concentrating on moving the ball (and their bodies) through space. The effect may be the same (or better or worse), but you are going at it in a different way.

Series "discussing" Messi's body and mind skills when facing an opponent.

3CB Performance
Apr 27, 2020

Explaining Lionel Messi's dribbling ability, part 1: Balance, coordination, center of mass, & mental speed | Biomechanics breakdown and sports science

Dr. Rajpal Brar, DPT breaks down Barcelona and Argentina legend Lionel Messi's unprecedented dribbling ability & technique in a three part series. In part one, he delves into Messi's elite balance, coordination, low center of mass, and mental speed.

Here’s a table of contents, header (sub-headings):
- 0:00 Intro
- 0:55 Mental speed (read, process, act; mental speed vs physical speed)
- 2:05 Balance and coordination (balance, regaining balance, single leg balance, key balance systems, coordination, neuromuscular system)
- 4:44 Center of mass (low center of mass, leverage, next video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU5435Qoius

3CB Performance
May 4, 2020

Explaining Lionel Messi's dribbling ability, part 2: Change of direction, strength, & mobility | Biomechanics breakdown & sports science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwjuRqbO708

3CB Performance
May 11, 2020

Explaining Lionel Messi's dribbling ability, part 3: Change of speed, on-ball technique, & mental calm

Dr. Rajpal Brar, DPT breaks down Barcelona and Argentina legend Lionel Messi's incredible dribbling ability & technique in a three part series. In part three, he details Messi’s change of speed ability, on-ball technique, and mental calm.

Here’s a table of contents, header:
- 0:00 Intro
- 0:44 Change of speed (ready state; short strides)
- 3:19 On-ball technique
- 8:25 Mental calm
- 9:54 Peak Messi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayEpqp8qmhc
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Graculus on Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:28 pm

@Marvin - thanks, those are interesting videos.

They give a good analysis of Messi's skills. There's a lot going on with any elite athlete, but I would hazard a guess that he has developed much of this unconsciously from working on other things (i.e. regular training involving ball skills, weight training, practice with other players and whatever else players regularly do in their training).

Football being such a fluid game, this probably gives the most bang for your buck in training. Most players spend countless hours mucking around with balls or anything else you can kick along the ground when they are kids. From what I remember at school, it is pretty obvious who has skills and what kind they are by at least 7 or 8, and probably younger (but I can't really remember further back than that).

graculus
https://ichijoji.blogspot.com
Graculus
Huajing

Postby everything on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:22 pm

windwalker, thanks yes, it's too rare to experience or develop, so we can't really discuss. unfortunate, but understandable. i want to do it, but I'm not even really practicing. :-\

those messi vids look great, thanks marvin and graculus. will check them out. he's an "alien" (or peak messi was) is a good shorthand description. i once watched this guy try to take "more touches" (on the ball) per second as his hypothesis was if he touched the ball more per step/per second, he could learn. it was basically hilarious/sad. i pointed out sometimes "one touch" or "no touch" (as in nutmegs and other skill moves) is more efficient. he didn't really seem to follow.
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:06 pm

windwalker wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:I taught my track and field athletes to use yi in both their events and in weight training. It helped.

interesting

What do you feel "yi" is
How did it help those in the events
Was it anything very different than what others in the events knew or used in their practices.

Asking out of curiosity.

Track and field athletes are taught to use intention anyway. Jumpers try to jump beyond the pit. Throwers try to throw their implements out of the stadium. I used yiquan to teach them how to feel lighter, to condense and expand at the same time, and how to link the different active parts of their bodies together (combining cima and tensegrity).
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:41 am

Taste of Death wrote:
Track and field athletes are taught to use intention anyway. Jumpers try to jump beyond the pit. Throwers try to throw their implements out of the stadium. I used yiquan to teach them how to feel lighter, to condense and expand at the same time, and how to link the different active parts of their bodies together (combining cima and tensegrity).

Interesting in that you used a Chinese word to express "intent" A word that is already used and expressed in English...

One would wonder if you also use the concepts of "Qi" and other aspects for things that are not expressed in English or have no English equivalents.

Having met some practitioners " yiquan", what I've read about it,
it seems a little different approach than what was expressed, and was used by my teacher and his group in Beijing.

thanks for the reply :)

happy new year...
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan