Maximizing resistance without overbalancing

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Maximizing resistance without overbalancing

Postby Yeung on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:17 am

"Maximizing resistance without overbalancing" in quotes is not find in Google Search, maybe this post will be the only result in Google Search. Please help me to develop a test to demonstrate that it is possible to Maximizing resistance without overbalancing by providing examples and examples to show that it is not possible.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Maximizing resistance without overbalancing

Postby LaoDan on Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:43 am

I am not certain what you are trying to research, but looking at studies on “instability resistance training” (IRT) may yield something usable. While I think that it is primarily used in rehabilitating injuries, the approach is to increase muscle strength by increasing effort (by using increasing resistance) while standing on an unstable surface that requires the subject to simultaneously maintain their balance. I have mentioned this technique in my TJQ classes since I think that maintaining “central equilibrium” while under pressure is very important.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:37 am

Try it while facing a knife
I like to think any touch has the ability to cause injury
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:51 pm

Try it while facing a knife
I like to think any touch has the ability to cause injury

I used to tell them consider the "hand" to be very hot and very sharp, and to respond accordingly. :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:20 am

I did the experiment of using the body weight to resist the incoming force passively which works, the following are two examples of this experiment:

https://fb.watch/9zF6TB5Xp1/

https://fb.watch/9zFhuKylWa/

They seem to work quite well to neutralize the incoming force by using it to activate their body mechanics. I think this is just know-how rather than a result of years of training. I will try this out with people who have no background in Taijiquan in a workshop in February 2022 and one in a forward stance as in pushing hands. Questions and comments are welcome for improvement.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:35 am

The pusher here is out of reach pushing with a glancing blow and not trying to push
I don’t see the objective of this exercise
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:19 am

Very different outlook from the OP title
Sharing some thoughts used in my practice

The main point is to develop and use what we call a spherical body.
Due to the body shape the center of the sphere is not necessarily within the body , some of it created by the mind understanding the purpose of the intended shape allowing The ability and functionality of a hollow sphere.

Like a balloon or ball.

Because it reacts as a hollow sphere, any point touched is equal to the whole sphere.

Nothing to do with resistance or attempting to push back against force.

Due to the nature of a hollow sphere the question might arise as to what fills it.
Maybe the subject of another thread. one of the often mentioned central ideas is “qi” gas or air.

Understanding some may have problems with the concept of “qi”
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:15 pm

Yea, I was thinking the OP was referring more to compression/expansion (“maximizing resistance”) rather than rotation/deflection. I would be more inclined to refer to pengjin than qi in this case, but if you are saying that the air (qi) that inflates the ball gives the ball’s structure/resilience (pengjin), then OK. I thought that the subject would be about receiving force (“maximizing resistance”) without pushing back (i.e., “overbalancing”). Perhaps a clarification of the OP would be helpful.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:41 pm

Yeung wrote:"Maximizing resistance without overbalancing" in quotes is not find in Google Search, maybe this post will be the only result in Google Search. Please help me to develop a test to demonstrate that it is possible to Maximizing resistance without overbalancing by providing examples and examples to show that it is not possible.

The following might be an example of what your looking for....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJKg3QkUngE

Master Fung: Hunyuan strength refers to oneness, whole body strength or six surfaces strength. It is different from regular strength. The easiest way would be to show you, but, since you're writing this down the best we can do is compare it with regular strength. In contrast to Hunyuan strength, regular strength would be called sectional, broken or one-sided strength. It is not to say that regular strength can't be strong and forceful, only that the entire body is not contributing to whatever function the strength is required for. With regular strength the majority of the load is born by the local muscle groups in the limbs.

With Hunyuan strength, the majority of the load is carried by the legs, waist and back. Regular strength is delivered directly, like a ram where the force is the inertia of the weight moving forward. Hunyuan strength is delivered indirectly... the inertia of the weight moving away from the target is more than that moving into it. Regular strength dissipates with movement. Hunyuan strength is stored within movement. This stored strength results in torque or martial velocity in each movement. That's why it's called oneness or whole body strength because the entire frame supplies torque to the limbs within each gesture.

http://www.yichuankungfu.com/cheuk-fung/hunyuan/
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:43 pm

taiji expression of what looks to be the same idea in the YI-chaun clip...

although he talks of inner and outer change....it might be different...same effect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7T7jTPK9Wg&t=77s
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:50 am

really like ww's explanation and examples.

OP, those are your answers (albeit seemingly impossible to understand).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan