What are your goals?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What are your goals?

Postby HotSoup on Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:59 am

Great topic! Going to use it as a chance to better formulate them to myself :)

When I started learning TJQ I just wanted to do it for fun, without any other practical goal.

Later on when that stretchy feeling inside had grown into the feeling of “force-paths” within the body, I started focusing more on developing the elasticity out of bi-directional forces that would allow to generate and transmit power. After that twisting them into the spirals and so on. Making the connective tissue more pliable is the best way to increase the quality of life, and the internal movement is a nice exercise targeting it.

Being able to apply that power led to the desire to see how TJQ can be used as a martial method. What the original meaning of the form movements was and how push hand patterns can be expanded into a wider repertoire of the connected movement. It’s just interesting to go through the discovery process :)

The highest goal is probably just becoming good at it. The old Chinese adage of exploring the greater Dao through attaining excellence at a smaller one does resonate with me a lot. Being good at something specific helps with being better at living your life in general.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby vadaga on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:07 am

GrahamB wrote:My goals have always remained the same.

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Damn you Azura.

+1
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:20 am

Finny wrote:When's the book coming Doc?

Thank you, brother! I have often considered writing a book, but l usually decide that very few people would be interested in reading my writing, since I lack the martial arts name fame which seems to be necessary to sell books. :-\
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:48 am

Doc Stier wrote:

Thank you, brother! I have often considered writing a book, but l usually decide that very few people would be interested in reading my writing, since I lack the martial arts name fame which seems to be necessary to sell books. :-\

:-\ you might consider "books" written often give fame to the authors....making them known.
E-publishing either free, or close to it.. :)

Why not write either for yourself, or students you've had over the many many yrs...

happy holidays... :)
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:49 am

Doc Stier wrote:

If you write a personal story about your journey, I would buy it. Write for the people who have a deep interest for the arts and don’t think about the ignorant masses.

8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dragonprawn on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:23 pm

My goals are more or less:
To be able to quickly undo the harm that comes from the sedentary nonergonomic time spent in any given day.
To feed my addiction to this hobby and the mental stimulation that comes with it.
To be in any given space and know I have a fair chance to be able to nicely acquit myself against all threats.
To make new friends.
To prevent the art from dying out.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:46 pm

Doc Stier wrote:

I've read you summarise your upbringing a few times, and it sounds like a very interesting story. I'd certainly read it.

Hoping Dr Fish decides one day to do the same.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:56 pm

Finny wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:

I've read you summarise your upbringing a few times, and it sounds like a very interesting story. I'd certainly read it.

Hoping Dr Fish decides one day to do the same.

I'd buy a copy, too.

That actually goes for anyone on the fist with literary aspirations. Point me at your catalog and help me fill my shelf!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:44 pm

Thanks, guys! Very encouraging. I guess it's time to start writing about Old School IMA teaching and training 50+ years ago. To say that students were forced to eat bitter is an understatement. Most either got kicked out for not training seriously or quit because the instruction and training was too harsh. :o
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:51 pm

My goal is to win friends and influence people in the park on Saturdays and Sundays. Since I retired from being a cross country and track and field coach I have my weekends back.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan