A simple and practical method

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

A simple and practical method

Postby rojcewiczj on Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Lately, I've been finding a good amount of success teaching people a simple method or CMA. The first step is to move your back until the opponent becomes light for a moment, then you can attack with everything and anything you can.
As you become more comfortable with moving your back/core/spine etc. you find it easier to make people light for a moment, as your posture can briefly absorb/neutralize their weight/force; then its possible to have a great effect with your own force/attack. With this method its easy to show people how moving with clear coordination between the back/spine/core and the limbs can be extremely useful. I find it also to be a very practical method in terms of self defense, because a moment of making the opponent light, using your back, creates the opportunity to attack relentlessly and potentially resolve the fight in one burst. I just wanted to share this simple way of thinking because I've found it very illuminating, thanks.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Re: A simple and practical method

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:07 pm

What do you mean to "make people light for a moment"?

I agree it's a good idea not to respond to your opponent's attack, but to let your opponent to respond to your attack.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:54 pm

johnwang wrote:What do you mean to "make people light for a moment"?

I agree it's a good idea not to respond to your opponent's attack, but to let your opponent to respond to your attack.

It's like tipping a 55 gallon oil drum on its edge to more easily move it. When you bridge with the opponent, don't absorb the force at the contact point. Let it fill out your lower back. They will try to regain their balance. You can then move them quite easily and launch an attack. My teacher would say, "I hit them three times. The first time is when I hit them. The second time is when they hit the wall. The third time is when they hit the floor." I would also add projecting with the fingertips to the mix.
Last edited by Taste of Death on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby rojcewiczj on Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:33 pm

To clarify a little more, if you begin your action by moving your back correctly, then the opponents force can be absorbed into your back while leaving freedom in your limbs to create an action. Essentially, however much force they use will result in them becoming "lighter" because they involuntarily commit their weight to resisting you; meanwhile, you retain some freedom in the joints to act on them. This is the way I understand Song, as the freedom in the joints while the back is under a load. Na jin happens when they're weight/force is committed and so they cant resist your action, Fa jin happens when you use the remaining freedom in your joints to act suddenly on them. Peng is the basic ability to absorb your opponents force to your back while retaining freedom in the joints. I think basically every internal energy can be understood as some aspect of this skill.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Postby johnwang on Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:57 pm

rojcewiczj wrote:To clarify a little more, if you begin your action by moving your back correctly, then the opponents force can be absorbed into your back while leaving freedom in your limbs to create an action.

What did your opponent do?

- A punch on your face?
- A kick to your groin?
- A sweep on your leg?
- A grab on your arm?

If your opponent punches on your face, when you move back, how can your opponent's force be absorbed into your back?
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby rojcewiczj on Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:21 pm

If your punched to the face you should move your back at an angle to avoid being punched in the face as you also move to make contact with your opponent.
If your kicked to the groin you should perhaps protect your groin with you knee as move you back towards the opponent to contact them.
If they sweep at your leg you should try to step in such a way as to not be swept as you move your back towards the opponent to contact them.
If they grab your arm, before you resist with your arm, bring your back into engagement with opponents force, reduce their force, then attack.

Essentially, regardless of what your opponent does, your job is to adapt and achieve engagement with your opponent through the back and then attack.
Moving your back can be evasive in order to avoid being hit as you make contact. You can also engage someone with your back through your own limbs, not only through them connecting with you first.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:34 pm

johnwang wrote:
rojcewiczj wrote:To clarify a little more, if you begin your action by moving your back correctly, then the opponents force can be absorbed into your back while leaving freedom in your limbs to create an action.

What did your opponent do?

- A punch on your face?
- A kick to your groin?
- A sweep on your leg?
- A grab on your arm?
If your opponent punches on your face, when you move back, how can your opponent's force be absorbed into your back?

Good question. The ability to issue spring power via spinal movement in any offensive posture or technique is certainly a well known and effective skill developed in many styles, but I think I'll continue to neutralize attacks with time proven hand techniques and agile, evasive footwork defensively, rather than attempting to absorb full speed, full power strikes and kicks with subtle movements of my spine on contact. :-\

By training to consistently maintain a correct structural alignment and a properly relaxed body with a solid root, my spine will freely move and adjust itself as needed without consciously focusing my mind on directing it to do so. Just saying. ymmv. 8-)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:17 am

When your opponent punches you, you will have the following options:

1. Block it.
2. Dodge and move back.
3. Attack your opponent's punching arm.

You then attack back.

IMO, 1 < 2 < 3.

1. When you block your opponent's punch, you may fall into his set up.
2. When you move back and then attack, you will need to cover that distance all by yourself. If your opponent moves back, you will have to start all over again.
3. I like this the best. Your opponent helps you to cover the distance. You are always in offensive mode.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:37 pm

johnwang wrote:When your opponent punches you, you will have the following options:

1. Block it.
2. Dodge and move back.
3. Attack your opponent's punching arm.

You then attack back.

IMO, 1 < 2 < 3.

1. When you block your opponent's punch, you may fall into his set up.
2. When you move back and then attack, you will need to cover that distance all by yourself. If your opponent moves back, you will have to start all over again.
3. I like this the best. Your opponent helps you to cover the distance. You are always in offensive mode.

What are the differences between 1 & 3 regarding "you may fall into his set up?"

The OP says "you move your back, not "you move back." What is the difference between 1, 2 & 3 regarding "Your opponent helps you to cover the distance?"

There are more options than your above three.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:14 pm

marvin8 wrote:What are the differences between 1 & 3 regarding "you may fall into his set up?"

1. Water strategy - Your block can't hurt your opponent arm.
3. Metal strategy - Your punch can hurt your opponent's arm.

marvin8 wrote:The OP says "you move your back, not "you move back." What is the difference between 1, 2 & 3 regarding "Your opponent helps you to cover the distance?"

There are more options than your above three.

If the OP just move his upper body back without moving his feet, he may give his opponent a chance for "single leg".
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:21 pm

johnwang wrote:
marvin8 wrote:What are the differences between 1 & 3 regarding "you may fall into his set up?"

1. Water strategy - Your block can't hurt your opponent arm.
3. Metal strategy - Your punch can hurt your opponent's arm.

This doesn't answer the question. How does punching an arm vs blocking an arm prevent "you may fall into his set up?"

johnwang wrote:If the OP is using body method (such as move upper body back, rotate the spine) and not using footwork to dodge the punch, the distance has no issue here.

thanks
marvin8
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:32 pm

marvin8 wrote:This doesn't answer the question. How does punching an arm vs blocking an arm prevent "you may fall into his set up?"

When A punches B and B blocks, A's option can be many. When A punches B and B also punches A's arm, A's option are less. Less option means less chance to fall into the set up.

If the OP just move his upper body back without moving his feet, he may give his opponent a chance for "single leg". This is the major issue about static push hand. When you yield without moving your feet, your opponent can attack your leg.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:51 pm

johnwang wrote:
marvin8 wrote:This doesn't answer the question. How does punching an arm vs blocking an arm prevent "you may fall into his set up?"

When A punches B and B blocks, A's option can be many. When A punches B and B also punches A's arm, A's option are less. Less option means less chance to fall into the set up.

I don't believe this answers the question. If A throws a "half punch," whether B blocks or punches A's arm may both methods "fall into his set up?"
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:01 pm

I agree with John. You can capture the opponent's energy with a block but a strike also has that capability plus the addition of an attack, which your opponent now has to deal with rather than reloading for another strike.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:54 pm

Taste of Death wrote:I agree with John. You can capture the opponent's energy with a block but a strike also has that capability plus the addition of an attack, which your opponent now has to deal with rather than reloading for another strike.

johnwang said:

johnwang wrote:When you throw a jab, you sense that your opponent tries to block it, you pull your jab back half way, and throw your cross toward the opening that your opponent just creates. ...

1. When you block your opponent's punch, you may fall into his set up. ...

When A punches B and B also punches A's arm, A's option are less. Less option means less chance to fall into the set up.

Therefore, I believe his answer to my question:

marvin8 wrote:If A throws a "half punch," whether B blocks or punches A's arm may both methods "fall into his set up?"

... Yes. If A throws a "half punch," whether B blocks or punches A's arm, he can "fall into his set up," but at a "less chance."
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan