Your Goals

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Your Goals

Postby Appledog on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:05 pm

Today, Toronto weather permitting, I went to the park and took off my coat, there in jeans and a t-shirt, and practiced my qigong and forms for about an hour. Afterwords I put on my coat and sat down, on the bench, sipping my coffee and listening to music. I think I fell asleep for a moment, and I woke up at the end of a song. I was looking up at the trees and skyline and thinking, here I am, doing my stuff, all by myself. And I am alone here in Toronto. It's a difficult feeling to express, not a lonely feeling, reminiscent of a kensho I suppose.

It made me think again about my goals and what I want to achieve.

The park was empty. It's a big park. A few decades ago there would be fifty people doing tai chi in the park. Today I was the only one. The only one who remembers. Where did they go? Did everybody die? Maybe it's the weather.
Appledog
Wuji

Re: Your Goals

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:43 am

human history is like natural wave, with tendency to forms ellipsoidal circles ;)
look at fashion ...
during my over 50 years of practice, there was, at least- 3 peaks >waves of curiosity< in "eastern systems"...
But,
not to many is able to keep their Way straight, thru the waving ocean.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 am

They were all wiped out by Internet challenges in the '90s.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:31 am

there is another wave coming. human/ai/cyborg, human vs. ai, ai replacing human labor, human using ai assistants, etc., etc. is it really that different? maybe, maybe not.

the rules to be made after oscar pistorius are not yet known? not sure. https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... advantage/

bionic vision, bionic hearing? etc. is it "fair" if you can see better than me with my middle-aged reading-glasses-a-must organic vision? how about hearing?
https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical- ... c-ear.html

sorry, nothing to do with goals. ... maybe stay alive/well and find out what happens in this coming wave (thinking about wiesiek's reply)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:23 pm

everything wrote:there is another wave coming. human/ai/cyborg, human vs. ai, ai replacing human labor, human using ai assistants, etc., etc. is it really that different? maybe, maybe not.

The cyborgs are already here. But they can't fight yet.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... an-machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ovqznXZLs

The robots? They love to mix it up.
https://spectrum.ieee.org/ai-army-robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOUD-k4tElY
Last edited by Taste of Death on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:28 pm

Some amazing robots.

Cyborgs…Just need more time.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:10 am

We are the cyborgs :D

Either I'll make money from teaching Nei Dan online or I'll try my chances in the army as an officer. The next half year is going to be very interesting.
Quigga

Postby Appledog on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:48 pm

In the park at midnight, there are many lights, but there are no people.

There is a chill in the air, but it is comforting.

I'm the only one there, all alone, and nobody cares.

Qǐ shì
Appledog
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:17 am

To be happy
and do what i want
arriving to this, some desire must cease
the departure gates looming
this time is for peace
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:20 am

I believe strongly in goals... reasons... motivations for practice.

In occult practices there's a concept of "lust for result" that people like me try to avoid.

You put out a carefully framed intention and just release it. Practice just sort of refines it.

Same with the Taijiquan I think, like there is the health and self defense, and honestly that's enough. I get enough out of that to justify about half of the energy I put into my practice.

The other half is just taking the journey and seeing where it leads. Experiencing the mystery to comprehend the depths. Not getting intoxicated and lost in it and seeking confusion, but approaching precision and enlightenment.

I do the practice because the practice is good, and anything I get beyond basic health and self defense benefits are just gravy.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:25 pm

Been focused on “woo” as it’s easy to swing the pendulum to li etc and for health

However want to get back to “neijia” not just “neigong”.

We’ll see.

For that Toronto park, maybe Covid changed their routine?
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan