Do you compete in Sanda tournament?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Do you compete in Sanda tournament?

Postby johnwang on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:48 am

I do believe that Sanda tournament is the best environment to test your punching, kicking, and throwing skill. If you are a boxer, wrestler, or Judo, Aikido, Karate, TKD, MT, MMA, or CMA guy, you should all be able to test your skill in that environment.

What do you think the main reason that people don't want to compete in Sanda tournament if they are under 35 years old?

Is it because:

- That person may not have interest in combat?
- His teacher may not allow him to compete?
- He may have full time job and family to support and cannot afford to get injury?
- He may think those kind of fighting are "low level"?
- Other reasons?
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Sanda Tournament

Postby klonk on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:20 am

The third reason you gave is probably a big one. I would add a couple more. One is lack of time to train to one's best potential, and the other is stage fright. Many people are afraid to do things on public display.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Do you compete in Sanda tournament?

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:55 am

there are not to many Sanda events in America and they dont advertise very often or to a select few gyms. i always here about them after the event is over. but yes i do test my skills. Lei tai events and sanda events are held locally and I there ...and I am an old f%$#@ but still like to compete. there tends to be more Muay Thai smokers than anything.
neijia_boxer

Postby Kurt Robbins on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:22 am

With events like Pankration and no holds bar fighting events and grappling tournaments which have plenty of advertising attracts lots of attention.(also the fact that alot of theses events are ran very efficiently with advertising and the likes) Sanda has some very high competition. Also CMA in general have a negative air about them to alot of practitioners. Most of the people who are into competing fall into MMA, Boxing, grappling/wrestling, kickboxing and muay thai and participate in those events.
Cung Li has been Sanda's biggest promoter as far as advertising and has lent much needed credibility to Sanda competitions.
I highly disagree with John Wang's opinion that Sanda is the best environment.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby SPJ on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:30 am

It is still possible to have sand da for older age group.

such as from 30 to 35 group

35- 40 group

40 and above, etc

hey, just want to comment on JW singature

the best goodness among all goodness is to be loving and respecting your parents.

the worst evil among all evils may not be lust--

hmm--

;D
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:32 am

In general, sand da would be most popular among college age group.

:)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:47 am

I agree it has the best ruleset for competing with integrated punching, kicking, and throwing, without groundwork. I'm over 35 but think I would enjoy sparring in this format. MT rules seem too limited in throws. Combat sambo seems essentially mma with no gnp.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:54 am

John: Are you old enough to remember the Boji Bisai that were held in the mid and late 1970's in Taipei and Taichung? Basically most techniques were permitted - punching, grappling, throwing, kicking etc. Great idea for an open venue. The tournaments were poorly run, and some of the decisions were settled off site after the tournaments.
I frankly have yet to see a similar type of venue that approaches amateur boxing levels of skill and execution, or as well run as most of the amateur and journeyman boxing tourneys. If I were in that age group, I would probably do what I did then for competitive contact experience : Boxing.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:12 am

Interesting to note that Akuzawa Minoru, one of the contemporary proponents for internal body-skill training, has a Sanda background in addition to Daito-ryu aikijujutsu and other influences. For those who wonder how IMA fares in sport competitions, you might want to look into his work and how internal skills relate to and enhance fighting applications.

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:19 am

I competed in Sanda back in the early 90s but these days I prefer Lei Tai tourneys. Same rules as Sanda, except that you can also use knee & elbow strikes as well as open-hand strikes...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:31 am

Kurt Robbins wrote:I highly disagree with John Wang's opinion that Sanda is the best environment.

- The boxing tournament is for punching only,
- The kickboxing, Karate, or TKD tournament is for kick and punch only.
- The wrestling, Judo, or SC tournament is for throwing only.
- The MMA may emphasize too much on the ground skill.

The only difference between the Sanda (or Sanshou) and UFC is the missing of the ground game.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:43 am

Muay Thai has neck wrestling with elbows and knees - also take downs are completely legal in Muay Thai, especially trips. In Pankration everything is legal some tourneys you can't punch, kick, elbow and knee to the face but everything else is game. In Japan MMA events everything goes and in MMA events in America depending on what state the event is in, has one of the most well rounded events out there.
(Side note) : It's not just the ground game, in MMA events submission grappling includes all that goes with submission strategies, but also elbows, knees, punches and SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby johnwang on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:50 am

SPJ wrote:hey, just want to comment on JW singature

the best goodness among all goodness is to be loving and respecting your parents.

the worst evil among all evils may not be lust--

hmm--

;D

I figure soon or later someone may detect this.

The Chinese "孝 (xiào) - filial piety" is one way street. It's absolute and not relative. It totally replaces "love" and sometime parents treat their children as "business investment". IMO, Since "孝 (xiào) - filial piety" is the killer for "love". I like to treate it the evil of all evils. Sex is the only thing that keep our race alive and I like to treat it the best of the best.

kenneth fish wrote:John: Are you old enough to remember the Boji Bisai that were held in the mid and late 1970's in Taipei and Taichung?

Ken, I came to US in 1970 but I have heard those tournaments.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:00 pm

I like Sanda and encourage people to participate in it's events - I just don't think it's the end al be all and hope to see it grow in some ways and stay the same in others. I like being able to go to a Judo tournament (or if they had them here Shui Jiao or Sambo tourny's) or a grappling tourney. You benefit just as much in specialized fields and can bring that to the table at full on events like MMA or Pankration and hopefully Sanda. I hope Sanda will include ground grappling in some of their events, but keep stand up events primary like K-1.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby everything on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Interloper wrote:Interesting to note that Akuzawa Minoru, one of the contemporary proponents for internal body-skill training, has a Sanda background in addition to Daito-ryu aikijujutsu and other influences. For those who wonder how IMA fares in sport competitions, you might want to look into his work and how internal skills relate to and enhance fighting applications.

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/

This sounds like yiquan and taikiken and the hundreds of Bruce Lee quotes about "simplicity" and "essence". Interesting site.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan