8 brocade qigong and/or 16 xingyi health exercises

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

8 brocade qigong and/or 16 xingyi health exercises

Postby everything on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:20 pm

are you doing one of these or something similar?

here's a random demo of wang ji wu's xingyi exercises part 1 of 2. seems a little similar to baduanjin qigong with some other things this guy added.

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: 8 brocade qigong and/or 16 xingyi health exercises

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:30 am

Just my take, but the Baduanjin (pa tuan chin) feels like it is doing something more to your insides (dare I say it, internal) and spine, and very little to your (dare I say it, external) body, whereas sets like the 16 exercises and others, do much more to the health of your joints, mobility and flexibility. Both are important.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:09 am

I`ve been working with both coupe of years.
8 brocades around 12, as a warm up, before sword form; works very well.
16 ex. afternoon,
but
doin` it quite differently, than guy from presented vid.
Not movin` my body to much, like guy above. For ex.: in exercise 1, while keepin` mabu - I`m lookin` forward and circling forearms ,however - elbows doesn`t leave the ribs....
btw, I also don`t know why Tim C. presented those exercise in such "carefree", or I would say - "messy" manner ( I saw his vid. couple years ago).
I`m doing those more, well, internally :D
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:27 am

When I see people do the 16 I often wonder if they have any training in hsing I
Is there any film of someone doing them well
I have yet to see it
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:26 am

https://www.amazon.com/Xing-Nei-Gong-Ma ... 0865681740

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ePe08af9U

Plum Publications

Classic Nei Gong exercises from the Xing Yi Kung Fu style. One of the first and finest books in English on authentic Qigong (also called Nei Gong). Out of print for some time this is now available through Plum Publications along with free information, tutorials and hundreds of products on Chinese martial arts and Qigong in English and Chinese.
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/bagua/co...

See Bisio's on-line site

https://www.internalartsinternational.c ... -nei-gong/

I am a practitioner of Xing Yi Quan. Will this help my practice?

Yes! In the detailed explanation videos and written materials, the connection of each Xing Yi Nei Gong exercise to specific practices of Xing Yi Quan is discussed. Many Xing Yi practitioners draw on Qi Gong sets unrelated to Xing Yi in order to round out their practice. It is even more valuable to practice a set of Nei Gong exercises that directly relates to the art you practice. Every movement in Xing Yi Nei Gong is related to the internal dynamics of Xing Yi Quan. Many of the movements have a direct relationship to the Five Fists and 12 Animal Forms – Xing Yi Nei Gong focuses on and isolates these power dynamics. Regular practice of Xing Yi Nei Gong helps balance your practice and can be used as an internal “warm up” before practice of Xing Yi’s forms and partner exercises.

What is Xing Yi Nei Gong and why should I learn it?

Nei Gong literally means “internal exercise”. Xing Yi Nei Gong was created by Wang Ji Wu, who lived to be 100 years old and remained healthy and vital into old age. Wang was an accomplished martial artist and a practitioner of traditional Chinese medicine. Based on experience and experimentation, he created a series of exercises for his students and patients that effectively strengthens the whole body inside and out, from head to toe, while building energy and vitality, and preventing illness. These exercises are also an excellent form of rehabilitation after illness or injury.

Xing Yi Nei Gong can be performed in just 20-30 minutes a day. When practiced daily, these “Life Nourishing” exercises increase functional strength and flexibility, improve coordination and balance, and promote vitality and inner resilience.
Last edited by Bob on Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:44 am

GrahamB wrote:Just my take, but the Baduanjin (pa tuan chin) feels like it is doing something more to your insides (dare I say it, internal) and spine, and very little to your (dare I say it, external) body, whereas sets like the 16 exercises and others, do much more to the health of your joints, mobility and flexibility. Both are important.

Have the same impression.

After doing baduanjin, I feel like doing a couple more stretches and maybe mild twisting.

Both seem good. Haven’t tried the 16 all the way through.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:23 am

I've been doing Alex Dong's "Fundamental Qigong" exercises lately. Some are kinda like baduajin, some are similar to what westerners call "nerve flossing". Done correctly they're a great way to work on taijiquan specific conditioning and a challenging bit of workout.
Also working on Huang's song gongs.

Those are both more directly targeted at taijiquan specific conditioning though. I consider the Yang form itself the most effective overall health practice, which they support, so I guess in a roundabout way they get there.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:30 pm

Ba tuan chin breaks YCF 10 essential points
Huangs sung ging depends on who you learn them from what order you practice them and what form you do with them
Still yet to see anyone doing the 16 with a Hsing I flavour
I have seen Tom do the tien kan so I know how he would do them
Anyone else
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:04 pm

Bob
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:37 am

I do the Kenny Gong 5 Exercises as my primary Neigong set. Tary Yip shows the closest thing I've seen. Sun Lutang must have focused the Monkey and Zhang Zhaodong did Lion Plays with Ball instead. Otherwise it's about the same but there are some steps to get to the Bear cloud hands that one has to go through in our system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwJx5Odvazg
Last edited by greytowhite on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:27 am

It should't make a difference except for the specific purpose of the routine, its intent/purpose.
I have known many version of baduanjin over the decades that there are times I mix up the specific routine based on my "snese" "intuition" "state of mind" at the time.

As long as one feels "refreshed" "invigorated" etc, when finished with x routine, then all is good, I would imagine.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:37 pm

@Greytowhite, that Tary Yip set is v v interesting to me because of the similarities with early Yiquan syllabus. Do you know anything about the origins of that standing set - did it come from Sun Lutang?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:04 am

nicklinjm wrote:@Greytowhite, that Tary Yip set is v v interesting to me because of the similarities with early Yiquan syllabus. Do you know anything about the origins of that standing set - did it come from Sun Lutang?

You would have to ask someone from that line. From my side of things on the Zhang/Jiang inheritance I'd say that it may come from Li Cunyi and Zhang Zhaodong through Hao Enguang. I don't know if Sun Lutang taught a similar set.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:56 pm

Tary is giving a Xingyi seminar soon.

https://web27.secure-secure.co.uk/taich ... fists_2022
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Bob on Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:30 am

FYI and nothing more - 16 Xing Yi Neigong Set by an elder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjJFGb54LPk

Memories of Grandmaster Zhang Baoyang (张宝杨), GM Zhang Baoyang in age 95 performing 16 forms of Xing Yi Nei Gong internal exercises for health and longevity (形意内功16式健身功). Zhang Baoyang (张宝杨) was famous Beijing master of Xing Yi Quan style and founder of the Beijing Xing Yi Quan Research Association(北京形意拳研究会). This set of Nei Gong exercises was created by Wang Fuyuan(王福元), the grandmaster of Zhang Baotyang and recompiled by his master Wang Jiwu (王继武). Zhang shiye was also buddhist monk, his monk name was Shi Jing Yang(释静杨) . He left us suddenly in April 29th 2016. This video was taken just few days before. 著名北京武术家张宝杨大师95岁练形意内功16式. 纪念张宝杨师爷。Lineage: Li Luoneng (李落能)---Liu Qilan(刘奇兰)---Wang Fuyuan(王福元)---Wang Jiwu(王继武)---Zhang Baoyang(张宝杨)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFwfqudnU9c

This is an old footage of grandpa Zhang Baoyang 张宝杨师爷的形意崩拳

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjyqMLDeWhQ

1999 year, Ritan park Beijing (北京日坛公园), Xing Yi Quan (形意拳) Grandmaster Zhang Baoyang (张宝杨✝2016) practice JI Xing Si Ba (鸡形四把 Four handles of chicken fist) Zhang Baoyang was famous Chinese master of Xing Yi Quan, founder of the Beijing Xing Yi Quan Research Association of the Beijing Wushu Association(北京武术协会形意拳研究会) He devoted all life to teach and promote Xing Yi Quan. He was disciple of Shanxi Xing Yi Quan warrior Wang Jiwu (王继武) and also learned from famous Iron Luohan Zhang Changfa (铁罗汉张长发) from Hebei province. His civil occupation was doctor of traditional chinese medicine. Lineage: Li Luoneng(李洛能)----Liu Qilan(刘奇兰)-----Wang Fuyuan(王福元)-----Wang Jiwu(王继武)----Zhang Baoyang (张宝杨)

Bob
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan