Yi is not your martial intent

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Yi is not your martial intent

Postby windwalker on Sun May 01, 2022 7:50 am

要以意行氣,以氣運身。用意則能"養"用力則"傷"。

Use Yi to move Qi, use Qi to move your body.
Use Yi nourishes and use force causes harm.

自己的意氣是不是通出體外了,要問對方。在初級階段,與對方一搭手,對方感到不過,就說 明內氣達到對方身上了。以後經過學練,逐步能"聽"、"問"、"拿"、"放"用意氣發人,進行技
擊。

To find out whether your Yi and Qi are projected outside your body, you may ask your opponent. When you first study and touch hand with your opponent, they may feel uncomfortable. Thus it is clear that the Internal Qi has reached their body.

After you practice and improve, then you can use “listen, ask, seize, and let go” (Ting, Wen, Na, Fang) and use Yi and Qi to 發 (Fa, “explode,” i.e. Fajin) as the basis of your fighting skills.

Some may ask what would this practice look like, or how would it be conducted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2oBGX9Px6g

Beginning level practice

The teacher is asking them to relax so that they can feel it

not "fight" against what they feel...

This allows them to feel the way the qi, leads, acts,
on their body....
Last edited by windwalker on Sun May 01, 2022 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: Yi is not your martial intent

Postby windwalker on Sun May 01, 2022 10:29 am

cloudz wrote:https://www.martialartsplanet.com/threads/how-to-discern-a-good-taichi-class.132696/page-2

check it out

cloudz: wrote

you know..

Of course the right intent for a martial form would be martially oriented - or have markers and guidelines that fall back to martial specifications let's say, so I kind of got myself flailing in a semantic soup of my own making there.

Seeing as it's there now. I will just add that, sure: A kick should be performed like a kick, a punch like it's a punch. Whether a teacher can teach that without calling on martial visualisations to an actual punch or kick is what I was alluding to, not what is better/ preferable or "should be", but rather what can be possible. It's just easier on everyone all round to think of punches and kicks - or whatever it might be.

However if you are never ever planning to link your movement practice to something functionally specific, then "the function" (that function) remains irrelivent, ultimately.

My point here is that, you could conceivably take the other route, and just say your leg has to go this high, your toes have to be here and point there, this moves like this and this like that. So all the right instructions and intent to perform *any given movement* correctly can conceivably be there..

It can be done without alluding to martial function necessarily - but I still agree 100% that it's better and easier all round that it would be taught with the martial knowledge with it right there alongside.

https://www.martialartsplanet.com/threa ... 696/page-2

Interesting post, this might add another outlook

汪永泉授楊式太極拳語錄及拳照
Wang Yongquan Writings on Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan

Translated by Richard Man,
http://facebook.com/groups/IMA.LiteraryTradition

練拳有技擊與養生兩種不同的練法。學練者要考慮自己的身體的強弱,是否忠過慢性病以及病 的類型等情況,採取不同的練法。在練習養生的拳架當中,如果還有技擊的身形、手勢,則本 身的內功(神、意、氣)就得不到舒適通暢,內氣也就得不到增長,達不到養生的目的。練技擊 的拳架,如果沒有充實盈滿的內功配合,技擊的身形、手勢;就得不到輕靈變化、得心應手、運 用自如。這就說明技擊與養生是分不開的。但是在鍛煉時,先要分清練習方法,然後再結合到 一起,才不致有"傷"。

Practicing martial art for fighting and for health require two different training methods. The practitioner must determine based on their own body strength, and whether they are suffering from disease etc., and choose the right method.

When you are training to improve health, if any posture, gesture or movement causes discomfort in your neigong (Shen, Yi and Qi), then it will not increase your Internal Qi, and thus will not accomplish the goal of improving health.

When practicing for fighting, if your neigong does not feel full, then your postures and movements lack the light and agile feeling and the ability to change (輕靈變化), nor will you be able to “express in the hands whatever the heart desires” (得心應手), and the movements would be natural.

Thus it is said that while you cannot separate the martial and the health (in a form), but when you practice, you must differentiate the practice methods.

Then you can combine them, and thus will not cause “harm” (to your Internal Qi).

為什麼拳架套路中沒有把養生與技擊詳細分開來學?要知道,在練習時一動之中就有技擊與養生 的練法,所以必須先懂了理論,自己在練習之中去分析。只有在練習中去找,才能得到要領。

So why is that there are no separate forms to learn practicing for health and practicing for fighting?

You need to know that the same movement contains both methods for fighting and for health nourishing.
Once you understand the theory, then you can separate it in your practice.

You must find through your own practice, the true nature of each method.

:)
Last edited by windwalker on Sun May 01, 2022 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan