nerve issue happened during taiji

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

nerve issue happened during taiji

Postby everything on Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:29 pm

so I have a nerve issue in my left arm that doesn't usually have any associated pain, but causes some weakness, esp associated with elbow bending. unfortunately this incident happend:

+ did a little "expand" outward with my palms facing in, then "compress" inward. "hydraulic" feeling.

+ Suddenly, a shooting, "electrical" but not too painful sensation - went down my arm, and my left wrist felt weak, like the weight of my hand was too heavy and my wrist joint didn't like holding it. Also, I couldn't rotate it inward (from palm sideways to palm down).

+ At the same time, the "hydraulic" sensation but much stronger than I normally have. Arm felt "fluid" inside and also "wrapped" as if "air feels heavy" on outside.

For whatever reason, the two went together, unfortunately. As if the nerve pain increased the "hydraulic" or the qigong amplified the nerve irritation. :-\

Will let the peanut gallery analyze the 'woo woo' theory of it all if you like. ::) ;D
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: nerve issue happened during taiji

Postby Appledog on Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:56 pm

Well I'm not a doctor so take it for what it's worth, but pain is never good. Be careful and take things slow and gentle. I would definitely ask your teacher about this. It sounds like the kind of thing your doctor would put you in a wrap or splint for.

I've had a few similar problems and I've learned to work around the problems such that they end up smoothing out and resolving after a while. Moving through the pain can cause more damage than it is worth, so I would take things slow and gentle for a while.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:05 pm

everything wrote:so I have a nerve issue in my left arm that doesn't usually have any associated pain, but causes some weakness, esp associated with elbow bending. unfortunately this incident happend:

+ did a little "expand" outward with my palms facing in, then "compress" inward. "hydraulic" feeling.

+ Suddenly, a shooting, "electrical" but not too painful sensation - went down my arm, and my left wrist felt weak, like the weight of my hand was too heavy and my wrist joint didn't like holding it. Also, I couldn't rotate it inward (from palm sideways to palm down).

+ At the same time, the "hydraulic" sensation but much stronger than I normally have. Arm felt "fluid" inside and also "wrapped" as if "air feels heavy" on outside.

For whatever reason, the two went together, unfortunately. As if the nerve pain increased the "hydraulic" or the qigong amplified the nerve irritation. :-\

Will let the peanut gallery analyze the 'woo woo' theory of it all if you like. ::) ;D

might want to get it checked out. :-\

5 Warning Signs of Stroke
Sudden numbness or weakness in the face, arm or leg (especially on one side of the body).
Sudden confusion or trouble speaking or understanding speech.
Sudden vision problems in one or both eyes.
Sudden difficulty walking or dizziness, loss of balance or problems with coordination.

Or maybe related to carpal tunnel syndrome
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:12 pm

Could be thoracic outlet syndrome:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... ome%20(TOS)%20is,and%20numbness%20in%20your%20fingers.

Sorry, not very woo-woo. Seeing a doctor might not be a bad idea.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:15 pm

thanks a lot, apple and ww and bhassler. the near-numbness at fingers due to this nerve has recurred for decades...it's repairable via surgery. the nerve can be moved out of its groove.

but this instance was an odd coincidence.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:29 pm

There are times when doing yangshenggong practices that warnings occur (pre-diagnosed symptom presentation) that will not show up but your body keeps score until the actual "objective criteria" are present and it may be awhile unitl it shows up! Bhassler link of Thoracic outlet syndrome is a strong pointer so check it out.

As someone stated, go and see the family doctor for your own state of health and mind!
I realize how some of us men hate to see the doctor but it can be a potential life saver.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:40 pm

Thanks a lot, guys. Have seen the doctors a few times about it. Surgical solution is to move the ulnar nerve out of the ulnar groove. Haven’t wanted to do that thus far. Basically the nerve isn’t long enough so it pops out of the groove with a lot of elbow bending or triceps type work.

Never irritated me this much before, though, and doing extremely mild movement.

So perhaps I will get another opinion.

Should have prefaced my story with all that background.

All good. Back to the woo and the kick ass!
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:58 pm

Wouldn't put much attention into it unless it starts happening all the time.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:33 pm

How old are you
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:38 am

wayne hansen wrote:How old are you

over 5 decades now ... but quite certain it's not an acute health situation. got a lot of good doctors/providers since being middle-aged...

origami_itto wrote:Wouldn't put much attention into it unless it starts happening all the time.

if I can get the interesting part happening all the time without the nerve irritation, will be paying a lot of attention...
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:47 am

The reason I asked your age was a thing called phantom wind can occur as we age
In TCM we can rid it from one part of the body and it turns up in another
I look at it as a form of self acupuncture
Pain is not always bad
Over the years I have had pain in various places that I thought might be the start of decline
Each time they have gone and left me stronger
That does not mean that they are not always that way
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:01 am

wayne hansen wrote:The reason I asked your age was a thing called phantom wind can occur as we age
In TCM we can rid it from one part of the body and it turns up in another
I look at it as a form of self acupuncture
Pain is not always bad
Over the years I have had pain in various places that I thought might be the start of decline
Each time they have gone and left me stronger
That does not mean that they are not always that way

I would definitely like this to be the case. I've been trying to work on qigong for health, not really related to neijia (although this board gets me interested in quan again). I was kind of thinking if pain is "worked out" as this self acupuncture, it would be cool. Don't think it's the case here, but then again, it was a really odd sensation to where I could see it might be something related.

Edit: Almost like the energy from practice sort of amplified the "bad" part coming out of a mechanical irritation, but then also soothed/calmed it down afterward. It's a bit hard to explain.

Edit 2: tried some more. Avoided issue from elbow.
The “energy” feeling was less strong, but after it’s as if “Jin” made “Li” feel greater as if I did some Li exercise but with none of this tired feeling. Nerve slightly complained. Overall a good thing.
Last edited by everything on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan