Ep 12: Michael Babin on teaching Tai Chi in the 90s

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Ep 12: Michael Babin on teaching Tai Chi in the 90s

Postby Quigga on Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 am

Doc, does somebody trying to mug you count? Getting hit by a car? What about other situations where fight flight freeze fawn are involved?

As far as I can tell, nobody actively wanted to kill me in this life. So I can be happy for that lol

People with dementia can get quite mean too

Other than that, I'm not a combat veteran of any kind and all my words should be taken with as much salt as your palate prefers :D
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:51 am

Those with various the replacements can be called hardened by steel, lol

If anything, it's awesome that people don't let minor and major injuries stop their training journey
Quigga

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:05 am

Quigga wrote:Doc, does somebody trying to mug you count? What about other situations where fight flight freeze fawn are involved?

Other than that, I'm not a combat veteran of any kind and all my words should be taken with as much salt as your palate prefers :D

Yes, of course, any situation which generates an immediate, spontaneous fight, flight or freeze reaction definitely counts, since saving your life could potentially be determined by your reaction in such circumstances.

My palate is well seasoned, so rest assured that your comments are considered accordingly. It's all good!
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:10 am

That's very comforting hearing it from you. Your posts and contributions have kept me entertained for many a nights up til 1-3am in my teens. So it's like getting an autograph from a celebrity for me, lol :D

And I've been to an Eminem concert.

So lets collectively keep the parts well oiled and moving.
Quigga

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:40 am

Quigga wrote:...lets collectively keep the parts well oiled and moving.

Consider it done already. ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:35 am

Michael Babin wrote:Interesting discussion my videos generated so far [well, mostly interesting]. No one addressed the fact that I was getting old and have infirmities that affect my previous abilities. Is it because I forgot that taiji is supposed to make supermen out of us at some point in our careers? I had students and Chinese taiji colleagues express surprise years ago when I told them I needed a hip replacement. "You shouldn't need that as you do Yang style." It's hard to argue with stupid when you want to be polite... and I usually do want to be polite. Sometimes that's tough in discussion forums.

Origami.ito: I'd take your posts more seriously if you used your own name [apologies if you are Japanese?] and posted any clips showing your own abilities in Da Streetz or even doing a bit of solo form. There are good reasons not to post one's work as several of the long-term members have done; but when you criticize someone else in fact or by implication; it's polite to return tit for tat.

I definitely recommend against taking anything I say seriously. I am no authority, merely an eager student with time to kill.

Seek the truth in your practice, but maybe play around with some of my ideas and see how they fit what you're trying to do.

I was curious about the heavy step. It's something I'm paying a lot of attention to in online videos at the moment.

You said it's due to your age and some injury and that's fine. I'm really not trying to disrespect you or your teaching. You've been putting in the work far longer than I and have plenty to show for it.

Getting into the technical discussion of that particular aspect of practice is just a sort of natural progression of the conversation in the forum. I implore you to not take it personally.

I do agree that perhaps it's time I try a video. I just find the practice to be a distraction. I film myself to reveal flaws not try to prove anything to anyone.

And, I mean, when I have been in situations that required I use the self defense skills cultivated through Taijiquan I haven't really had time to set up a tripod. :)

Where are you based? Would you be interested in meeting up?
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan