Black, or white, or grey?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Black, or white, or grey?

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:05 pm

Ssireum 씨름

Another type of grappling that involves throwing and falling.
a little different as they start from the ground and stand up...

While in Korea....at an MLRS live fire over the yellow sea

My soldiers were watching some of the local Korean soldiers ROKs
Playing around throwing each other.

They laughed at the ROKS kind of dismissing it. :-\

I mentioned they should try it...

Knowing that I practiced n-mantis at the time....
They said "why don't you" :P

"lead by example" came to mind :-\

One of them talked to the ROKs pointing at me...
Got thrown 2 outa 3 tries....those guys very strong...
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:12 pm

johnwang wrote:... Since you can't do 2 different things at the same time, you have to choose one from the other.
johnwang wrote:
marvin8 wrote:But, you are the one who posted the two clips ("SC, Judo") in the OP. There may be an answer in your answer. SC clip has feet together, falling sideways, landing on shoulder. Now, will you answer my question?

I have posted many Judo clips. But I don't have any Judo experience.

Let me clarify my question. Out of the 2 "break fall" OP clips that you posted, in which clip is the head closer to the ground, the SC or judo clip?

marvin8 wrote:
johnwang wrote:... Shuai Chiao break fall.

Judo break fall.

Which method is the head closer to the ground, SC or judo? What's your opinion on this?
marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:19 am

johnwang wrote:In MA, do we have absolute black and white? Are there any grey in between? What's your opinion on this?

If you use your arms to protect your head from hitting on the ground, you won't be able to use your arm to hit on the ground for break fall. Since you can't do 2 different things at the same time, you have to choose one from the other.

There are some hard and fast rules, like, you can't move when you're double weighted. That's what double weighted means...

But what your describing is opportunity cost, TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch).

Even if somebody provides you with a satisfying meal at no cost to you, the cost is every other meal you could have potentially eaten.

It also pertains to engineering and systems and trying to get more energy out of something than you put into it.

The black and white rule of the universe is that you have to work with limited resources and loss.

So we look at your question about falls. You have to ask where are you going to be using your art and for what purpose? Are you going to be on a nice soft mat when you get thrown or could you be doing this in a bar or parking lot? That's gonna affect how much thought and training you need to put into certain things and which decision you make there.

That pertains to combat in that beyond a basic level of altercation, we start to make optimization choices. We can't equally develop all facets. We can't be completely prepared for all situations.

In the past that leads to completely different styles adapted to their testing grounds. TKD vs BJJ for example is this sort of idea taken to an extreme.

So I believe the best course of action is to train adaptability. Become a handshake.

We all have different hands and different ways of shaking them, but they come together and match perfectly. Some say you can read everything you need to know about a man by how they approach and accomplish this.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:20 am

johnwang wrote:In MA, do we have absolute black and white? Are there any grey in between? What's your opinion on this?

If you use your arms to protect your head from hitting on the ground, you won't be able to use your arm to hit on the ground for break fall. Since you can't do 2 different things at the same time, you have to choose one from the other.

I learned judo break falls when I studied xingyi and bagua. I practiced tumbling/falling for a couple years; my take-away was don't break your fall with elbows, hands, or knees, and watch your head. How I protect my head would likely depend on the situation. The only time I've used it is when training, although it's kicked in a couple times when I nearly slipped on ice or a wet floor.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:32 am

I thought this thread was going to be about wizards from Lord of the Rings. Disappointed.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:40 am

GrahamB wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about wizards from Lord of the Rings. Disappointed.

I'll take Radagast the Brown. Fucks off to the woods to practice shapeshifting and lets the rest of them fight it out.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:12 am

robert wrote:I learned judo break falls when I studied xingyi and bagua. I practiced tumbling/falling for a couple years; my take-away was don't break your fall with elbows, hands, or knees, and watch your head. How I protect my head would likely depend on the situation. The only time I've used it is when training, although it's kicked in a couple times when I nearly slipped on ice or a wet floor.

Excerpts from "The Most Valuable BJJ Technique Every Person Should Know:"

BJJEE on MAY 01, 2021 wrote:In all seriousness, the breakfall is the most important and applicable move in all aspects of life. Slip and fall in the kitchen? Hopefully you learned to breakfall. Is it an icy winter and while you’re shoveling snow you slip? Breakfall. Walking a trail and trip? Tuck, roll and breakfall. This technique applies to other martial arts. If you are swept in muay thai and post on your glove, you’re looking at a broken wrist or arm.

One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones (wrist, arms, and hips) and head injury.

These injuries can all be avoided by proper technique, the breakfall. If executed correctly, you can avoid broken wrists and arms by not posting which is the natural human reaction. Tucking the head can greatly reduce the chance of head injury and falling on your body in the right way can also reduce hip injury....

marvin8
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:27 am

marvin8 wrote:Let me clarify my question. Out of the 2 "break fall" OP clips that you posted, in which clip is the head closer to the ground, the SC or judo clip?

I'll say the Judo clip but that's free fall and not been thrown. Sometime when your opponent throws you, you don't know which part of your body will land first.

Last edited by johnwang on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:56 pm

marvin8
Wuji

Postby edededed on Tue May 10, 2022 2:04 am

Hi John - great thread! I never even knew that shuaijiao's breakfall was different.

Now I found a video describing it with a bit more detail - it looks like Chang Dongsheng's son Dawei has a group (or a student) teaching in Tokyo now.

Regarding punching:
Neijiaquan also seems to prefer to not punch 180 degrees for the most part.
(One exception is, for example, xingyiquan's shunbubengquan that often turns to a kind of half mabu.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:09 am

breakfalls...
well, me thinkin` that both (sc and judo) works, if you trained them to the point of natural reflexes.
I can speak only from judo experience - separate training breakfalls of all types, was quite big part of all trainings time thru a two years.
It saved my arse many times, even when training bar slipped off the frame, when I was in position parallel to the tiled floor (2m high).
Worst bruises I get from returning bar, which I was keepin` all the time in one hand.
Head was safe by keeping chin close to sternum (trained reflex).
It doesn`t protect you from protruding boulder, dough.
Anyway, arms covering the head move, isn`t always possible when you`re thrown.

Direct answer to the main Johns question:
We train mostly black/white,
It is not always sufficient during the fight - your task is : mix them and win.
Shadow of the gray doesn`t matter.

ps
forearm/hand action is added mainly for distraction energy of the impact. (optimally hand should landed in position 45 degree to the trunk.
Nice noise is just side effect.
Last edited by wiesiek on Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:20 am

judo in old days, in non quite sporty environment :) :

https://youtu.be/ABAR6K4dDio

fight around 1.46.30
anyway, whole move is the masterpiece
Last edited by wiesiek on Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan