Deflect and strike at the same time

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Deflect and strike at the same time

Postby marvin8 on Sat May 07, 2022 12:41 pm

Yeung wrote:I think there is a mistake in translating Lian Xiao Dai Da as deflect and strike at the same time. From Baidu.com, "It is to attack at the same time as resolving. While resisting, defuse the opponent's attack, and counterattack. It is a strategic tactic in boxing" (as translated by Google).

From what we discussed, it is more like a combination of resolving and carrying on to a strike or other techniques like grab, pull, retract, short distance strike, sticking, etc., using one hand.

JKD eliminates unnecessary movements for economy and efficiency.

Thomas Marx - Original Jeet Kune Do IFO
May 7, 2022

In this video we are showing how to proceed if the first attack has got blocked, parried or deflected, how to use follow ups with punching or kicking, etc... Bruce Lee's martial art Jeet Kune Do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17U8mQz1e8

Excerpt from "Wing Chun Concepts:"

East-West Wing Chun wrote:Simultaneous Attack and Defense
Wing Chun focuses on combining a defensive movement with an offensive movement, or using offensive techniques that provide defense. In this way, WC is structurally faster that those styles that teach one to defend first, then attack. Drills and sticky hands help the student improve this skill.

marvin8 wrote:Here is how it happened. Usman hand trap (pulling hand) + right cross (Seen in MMA and boxing):

1. Inside jab, left of head - drawing Masvidal's rear hand parry (very start of GIF).
2. Reset.
3. Feint inside jab, left of head - drawing Masvidal's rear hand parry > hook rear hand from outside, pull down + right cross (Note the simultaneous right cross and outside slip to avoid Masvidal's left hook).

marvin8
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat May 07, 2022 12:50 pm

Yeung wrote:I am sort of confused by the following saying by a Taiwan JKD group: 先消後打、消打合一、連消帶打、不消而打 (First eliminate and then hit, eliminate and hit in one, even eliminate and hit, not eliminate and hit).

My understanding is that using the straight line defensive technique to encounter a punch is to follow the trajectory to deliver a powerful strike targeting at the opponent and intercepts his or her punch by the way. If he or she faked the punch, drawback, too weak, etc., will get the encounter strike. Does that make any sense?

Great point! Fair Lady at Shuttle linear application when how applied can be part of "deflect and strike at same time but when circle is invoked, one can "pivot" turn" "spin and throw as additional strategy is basic 'block/strike (whenther 1 or 1 and rhythm) I realize that baidu does not alway have the "proper" translation but if one understands the concept then the intent is easier to see/visualize per experience.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat May 07, 2022 2:21 pm

everything wrote:Disclaimer: I have no idea how to fence

Me neither.

.... and I have actually practiced fencing.

I still don't get it. It's hard.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Sun May 08, 2022 5:29 am

The attack becomes a trap that is moving toward the enemy
Quigga

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan