Your kung fu is bullshit

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Your kung fu is bullshit

Postby Giles on Mon May 23, 2022 10:13 am

Doc Stier wrote:...several instances in which I realized that I was going to lose tournament sparring matches on points to guys I believed I could defeat in a real street fight, so I decided to go ahead and just knock them out...

Ha, "Raging Bull"! -- just to make a little play on your (German) name... :D
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon May 23, 2022 10:13 am

Doc Stier wrote:When I began practicing martial arts in January of 1961, NOBODY trained primarily for physical fitness and health exercise benefits or primarily for personal self-cultivation benefits. Virtually EVERYONE trained for self-defense fighting skills.

The first day when I trained my long fist in my high school year, I asked my long fist teacher, "What will you do if I punch on your face?" I believe I was the only student ever asked him that question during the 1st day of his CMA class. After this many years my reason of CMA training hasn't changed.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Mon May 23, 2022 10:36 am

I was telling other children in daycare to come with me in a separate room where we were less supervised. - I was 5 or 6 years old

The more the better, max were 10-12, min were 3

Told them to stay in a line facing towards me, then either kick or punch how they want. I had to respond.... It was my idea of playing, I shit you not :-)

Then told others to stand there - some liked it some don't. Unfortunately most grew out of it in half a year or so

Also when I was 5 I got blackout drunk as in couldn't stand walk balance or register much pain. Dad had to carry me home. That was fun lol

First ciggy with 7, he told me to take a puff. Stopped me, saying not so much not so much... Didn't cough.

Somewhere in all of this I started TKD at 6 or so, but the teacher back then used to open up all windows in winter when we were sweaty. So I got pneumonia and 2 other childhood diseases in 3 months. White blood cell count was high enough for Docs to think I had leukemia lol. Spine was tapped in lower back to get liquor. Still remember the fucking nurse pinning my head down on the cold metal table.

Also I used to beat up other kids and bully.
Last edited by Quigga on Mon May 23, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quigga

Postby D_Glenn on Mon May 23, 2022 10:41 am

johnwang wrote:The first day when I trained my long fist in my high school year, I asked my long fist teacher, "What will you do if I punch on your face?" I believe I was the only student ever asked him that question during the 1st day of his CMA class. After this many years my reason of CMA training hasn't changed.

Nice. What’d he do? If you don’t mind telling us.

My Bagua teacher, traveling all over the world has had a lot of similar things happen. One kickboxer asked what he would do if he used a spinning back kick against him. He replied do it. Try to kick me in the head. Now Yin style Bagua’s kicking is similar to Tan Tui (feet are like hands), so as the guys leg was coming around my teacher planted a foot against the back of his thigh and stopped his kick mid way. Left a red foot print on his thigh.

I guess another time this guy (some middle eastern country, possibly ex-military or government high ranking, the translator at the time didn’t know the country’s name in English), mid way into the training, he was kind of just standing by listening to my teacher talk and just sucker punched my teacher as hard as he could in the the abdomen/ Dantian. It didn’t really phase my teacher. And he just thought WTF?! So then he used the guy for demonstrations of techniques for the rest of the seminar. And went harder on him then he normally would have. But at the end the guy was really thankful and gave my teacher some type of big token and said if he was ever in that country to show someone that token and he would be treated very well.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Mon May 23, 2022 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon May 23, 2022 10:52 am

Funny thread ;D

some stories of the teachers I've known and styles practiced

You might remember my saying that a lot of Mr. Long's students used his White Crane in the streets -- just as there were guys in our later school where were bouncers. But some of Mr. Long's students were street gang members, and a few of them had developed really interesting and unique ways of using White Crane. As usual, I was pushed into sparring with pretty much anyone who walked through Mr. Long's door, and one of the most interesting of his "older" students was a gang member who had a very tricky way of using the Crane style.

I was warned about this in advance by Ron, so I had a little knowledge to start off with, but when we squared off in the middle of the room, he had a very modified version of the crane horse... so modified that you would never know he was taking up any kind of ready position.

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... f&start=30

Lots of stories about the enforces of Chinatown back in the day...

another one of my teachers long ago in Korea teaching mantis

Park Chi Moon.
Shifu Park Chil Sung was born in 1930 in what is now North Korea. He first began studying gong fu within his family at a very young age (around 7 or 8 years old). He later traveled around the Korean peninsula studying under any master he could find. At that time he met his main master, shifu Lin Ping Jiang.
During the Korean war he along with most other young men from his home town were recruited to fight for the south as guerilla fighters not actually associated with the formal army.

After the war he was able to relocate to the south and has not seen his family since then.
Shifu Park Chil Sung worked for some time after the war for the South Korean equivalent of the American CIA, training in hand to hand combat.
He has been teaching at Camp Casey Tongdushon (a U.S. Army post just south of the DMZ - north of Seoul) since the 70's, with many of his students being U.S. Military personnel. In the year 2000 he was still alive and teaching in Korea.

http://www.oocities.org/mantiscave/parkchil.htm

Very interesting in that one could not really spar with him, with out getting hurt,,,,,
His training and experience wouldn't allow him to pull something that was just built into
his reactions ...

He mentioned they used to go up into the mountains and hunt the communist,,,often having to deal with them at very close quarters.

At the time he never mentioned his teacher,,,,we used to try getting him drunk over a Korean meal with 소주 "soju" to talk about him,,,, ;D

Back in the 70s,,the soju, was pretty strong as I remember....aside from a hangover,,you bones would ache too...

good stuff, probably not healthy stuff .... :)
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon May 23, 2022 11:02 am

D_Glenn wrote:
johnwang wrote:The first day when I trained my long fist in my high school year, I asked my long fist teacher, "What will you do if I punch on your face?" I believe I was the only student ever asked him that question during the 1st day of his CMA class. After this many years my reason of CMA training hasn't changed.

Nice. What’d he do? If you don’t mind telling us.

I punched. He blocked and pulled my arm, used his foot to block my leg, and threw me forward.

A: I train MA to be a better person.
B: There were 2 years that I competed all the time. I had to control my sex desire. In 2 years, I didn't have any sex with my wife. My wife was not happy aout it. I assume CMA training made me a bad person. :-\
Last edited by johnwang on Mon May 23, 2022 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Mon May 23, 2022 11:02 am

Last edited by D_Glenn on Tue May 31, 2022 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Mon May 23, 2022 11:16 am

johnwang wrote:I punched. He blocked and pulled my arm, used his foot to block my leg, and threw me forward.

A: I train MA to be a better person.
B: There were 2 years that I competed all the time. I had to control my sex desire. In 2 years, I didn't have any sex with my wife. My wife was not happy aout it. I assume CMA training made me a bad person. :-\

That’s very cool.

My teacher did 7 years and 100 odd days of abstinence. He started probably around the age of 19. But I am pretty sure there’s certain protocols and practices one has to do to channel all that testosterone into something else besides anger.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 23, 2022 11:22 am

Nothing reveals a fragile ego quite like a personal attack for no reason.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Mon May 23, 2022 11:23 am

The safest option for channeling is calm love, acceptance and kindness for one self, then let it radiate outward without imposing it on anyone, it's like an odor lingering in the air, but people will only take it when they want it themselves, it doesn't force it's way into people

As this deals with one emotional structures, lots can go wrong, especially when done in excess
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Mon May 23, 2022 11:24 am

No attack perceived - Peng ;D

But it's more polite to let people talk for themselves.....
Quigga

Postby Appledog on Mon May 23, 2022 1:18 pm

I am attracted to tai chi and aikido because when I fight someone I don't want to hurt them. I don't know much Aikido, I settled for tai chi. However as it turns out my teachers want me to learn a lot of extra stuff, like xingyi and tantui and sword forms. Who carries a sword anymore? :)

In my school you would be kicked out for smoking or drinking. Some other rules are, we are not allowed to wear jewelry or say bad words.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon May 23, 2022 7:01 pm

That's interesting about the drinking. I think drinking was a prerequisite at several of my gongfu teacher's schools. ;D

I did have a long-time MA teacher (my first serious one who I spent a couple of decades with) who I belatedly found out was not advancing me because I joined a boxing club and later gym. He had made some comments about how bad it was for you, but I didn't really listen. Took me a few extra years to reach my first dan rank because of it.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby liokault on Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:39 pm

Lol haven’t heard of Ed Hines in a long time.

I think he decided to rethink the martial effectiveness of his art after we met in a San Da match. It must have been 25 years ago and was one of my first fights. I spent most of the fight with Ed in a head lock punching him in the face. I can still remember the strings of snot flapping around as he tried to hit me. I don’t think he did any fights after that.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:06 pm

In another forum, someone asked the following questions:

How many

- people doing taijiquan are only doing it for strength balance, and health?
- have any interest or are even aware of the martial side?
- even try push hands, and if they do how many do it only as an extension of the health aspect?
- if they are interested in martial arts are a bit delusional as to its effectiveness based on old stories and myth?
- if they train push hands think that is fighting?
- learn the applications of the postures?
- know anything at all about the 13 postures?
- try and apply it sparing?
johnwang
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan