soft -> very soft -> "internal"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: soft -> very soft -> "internal"

Postby Bao on Thu May 26, 2022 6:55 am

origami_itto wrote:
Bao wrote:First you need to understand what Sun actually said. And that was in fact that he didn't believe that any martial art could be either internal or external.

I'd like to get a better understanding of what you're referring to. Which book(s) are you getting this from?

FURTHER WRITINGS OF SUN LUTANG
https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... un-lutang/

Some say that if boxing arts are not divided into internal and external, their techniques could not be discerned as being hard or soft. It is not understood that one [internal] trains to go from softness to hardness and the other [external] trains to go from hardness to softness, and that although hardness and softness are distinct, the achievement in either direction is the same. When martial arts make use of harmony in order to function, it is from a condition of harmoniousness that fighting prowess is developed.
I have practiced boxing arts for several decades. In the beginning, I too accepted common views. Every day I accumulated energy into my elixir field until my lower abdomen became as hard as a rock. When I roused the energy in my abdomen, I could throw an opponent some eight or ten feet away. Whether walking, standing, sitting, or lying down, at any time it was thus. I thought that by accumulating energy through sinking it down, I would likely attain the art’s internal power, and that those who were unable to sink energy to their lower abdomens were all of the external school.
One day, I sent Song Shirong of Shanxi a letter requesting a visit to him since I would be visiting Shanxi. After exchanging conventional greetings, I asked about the distinction between internal and external.
Song said: “Breathing is divided into internal and external, but in boxing arts there’s no distinction between internal and external. If you are good at nurturing energy, then it’s internal. If you’re not good at nurturing energy, then it’s external. Consider the phrase [Mengzi, chapter 2a] “good at nurturing one’s noble energy”. Surely it reveals the deeper meaning of the internal school. When practicing boxing arts, seek stillness through movement. In meditation arts, seek movement through stillness. Truly there is stillness within movement and movement within stillness, because basically they represent a single essence that cannot be branched off into two. Building on this point, when stillness is at its peak, there is movement, and when movement is at its peak, there is stillness, because movement and stillness are so connected that they generate each other. If movement and stillness were used to make distinction between internal and external, how would this not be a case of miscalculating by an inch and being off by a thousand miles?
“My opinion is that there are internal and external types of breathing. First seek for the breath to be fully getting through. The distinction is whether or not the breath is getting through. Those who have never practiced boxing arts or are just beginning to, their breathing usually goes no lower than mid-torso before it goes back up, and so their energy ends up floating upward. This is called ‘hindered breathing’. When the breath is suppressed to an extreme degree, the temperament is affected, and that person develops a combative personality. Such a level of internal fire burns them up until they are scorched.
“If the breath is trained to move downward and go directly to the elixir field, then in the course of time, the heart [the peak active organ] and kidneys [the peak passive organ] will be cooperating. Water and fire will be in a state of mutual benefit [as in hexagram 63 (made of water ☵ on top of fire ☲)], keeping internal fire from burning upward. Breathing can thus be natural and not get turned around mid-torso. In this way, the body can be said to be connected inside and out, upper body and lower, energy will flow smoothly, and the breath can get through to the lower torso. But there’s basically only one kind of energy and it’s a mistake to think there are two. The problem is when it is kept from getting through. Ziyu said: ‘Seek for your lost mind. Once you have found it, your Daoist mind is born.’ [This seems to be a paraphrasing from Mengzi, chapter 6a: ‘The study of the Way is nothing more than the quest for your lost mind.’] This describes the Daoist principle of watching and listening inwardly.”
I said: “All that being the case, can I say I’ve obtained the internal power of boxing arts? My energy has sunk down and my lower abdomen is hard as a rock.”
Song said: “Oh, no no no. Even though energy might be getting through to your lower abdomen, if it doesn’t transform that hardness, it’ll eventually just make you feel overworked, and that isn’t the highest level.”
I then asked: “So how does such a transformation happen?”
Song said: “By way of something seeming like nothing, of fullness seeming like emptiness. If there is hardness in the abdomen, it is not the authentic method. Mengzi said [Mengzi, chapter 4b]: ‘As his [Emperor Shun’s] actions already came from compassion and justice, he did not need to act in a way that would make him become compassionate or just.’ This is the ‘centered harmoniousness’ discussed in the Zhong Yong. It must be understood that what the ancients talked about had both theory and practical application. Within boxing arts, both centered harmoniousness is valued as well as compassionate justice.
“If this is not clear, then even if you practice until you are as agile as a fluttering bird or strong enough to lift a ton, you will be no more than a brash oaf and always be one of the external school. If instead you train to the point of centered harmoniousness, you will then speak knowledgeably about compassion and justice, conducting yourself appropriately and imitating what is right, and then even if you are a mass of muscle, you can be considered one of the internal school. Once you are nurturing energy at a deep level of practice, it will connect inside and outside together, and you will be able to fully determine whether you have it or not. Your energy will be [Mengzi, 2a:] ‘vast and strong’, and you will be ‘nurturing energy with integrity so it will not be corrupted’. There will be no place where it is not there and no moment when it is not thus. In hiding it away or expressing it, its use will be broad even though its presence may be slight.
“It was said by a previous generation: ‘Every single thing is a grand polarity. Every single thing is a single passivity-activity.’ We inherently possess the centered harmonious energy of the universe, for are we not each a grand polarity unto ourselves? It says in the Book of Changes [Great Treatise, part 2]: ‘For what is near, he [Fu Xi] examined within himself. For what is distant, he observed all things.’ [It says in the Xingyi Boxing Classics:] ‘The mind is internal, yet its reasoning extends to all things. Things are external, yet their principles are all there in the mind.’ Internal and external follow the same principle.”
After I had respectfully heard him out, I then realized that the way of boxing arts is the way of Nature, and that the way of Nature is the Way of mankind. I also understood that although boxing techniques and names may be different, they share a common theory. As for the distinction between internal and external, I indeed saw that it is not very penetrating and recognized the principle of dividing into such categories to be unenlightened. This encouraged me to be aware that speech should be mild and action should be natural. While we establish ourselves and make our way in the world, we have an inner sincerity and an outward behavior. Why would boxing arts be any exception to this?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu May 26, 2022 8:02 am

Love this passage. The sentences he says before that part you bolded ---- I'm still trying to get to that part beyond some baby step way. :-/

I'm essentially "not good" at "nurturing energy". Progress is incredibly slow.

Everything else he says that Song Shirong told him .... too difficult for me to follow. :-(
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon May 30, 2022 7:06 am

It's hard to be soft! ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Mon May 30, 2022 7:42 am

everything wrote:Love this passage. The sentences he says before that part you bolded ---- I'm still trying to get to that part beyond some baby step way. :-/

Everything else he says that Song Shirong told him .... too difficult for me to follow. :-(

Hmm. It is very likely the case that you are just fine at nuturing energy and you just don't understand the code. The whole thing is written in a kind of code and he expects Sun to understand what he means when he references these classics.

You see, back in the day the scholars knew these classics so well that they would quote from them to express meaning. If you didn't understand the classics -- which became a sort of code, it was a way for the social elite to keep certain kinds of knowledge hidden. You either understood or you didn't. Today, what is required is a teacher who understands and who can either break the code for you or invent a new code so that it can be explained to you in a different way.

It's too late to think about this because you are already on fire. If your teacher cannot explain this to you then you must find a new teacher immediately.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon May 30, 2022 7:47 am

Appledog wrote:
everything wrote:Love this passage. The sentences he says before that part you bolded ---- I'm still trying to get to that part beyond some baby step way. :-/

Hmm. It is very likely the case that you are just fine at nuturing energy and you just don't understand the code. The whole thing is written in a kind of code and he expects Sun to understand what he means when he references these classics.

You see, back in the day the scholars knew these classics so well that they would quote from them to express meaning. If you didn't understand the classics -- which became a sort of code, it was a way for the social elite to keep certain kinds of knowledge hidden. You either understood or you didn't. Today, what is required is a teacher who understands and who can either break the code for you or invent a new code so that it can be explained to you in a different way.

It's too late to think about this because you are already on fire. If your teacher cannot explain this to you then you must find a new teacher immediately.

Boning up on the work of the second sage is definitely worth it for a multitude of reasons.

Cheng Man Ching also quotes him frequently.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Mon May 30, 2022 8:24 am

when I see the title of the thread it speaks to a progression; that progression doesn't sit right. the first thing is to fix that.

before you ever think about 'very soft', you need to know where you are and where you stand with soft and hard. if you are not clear what internal training entails for you, then where does one even start to offer some advice?
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Mon May 30, 2022 9:04 am

Commiting to softness is not for the faint of heart

Any time I try to add some degree of 'holding onto', things fall apart and I get trouble in my life

It's tough.
Quigga

Postby everything on Mon May 30, 2022 10:25 am

Not offering advice as a teacher, but only offering experience that “didn’t work” imho. Chasing soft was good. It just didn’t result in anything “internal” according to my feeling of being the “throwee” or my feeling of “inside the body” in my experience. I’d rather say “this seems to be a mistake” than to claim “I got it” falsely. This seems more helpful as I believe from the writings here others also followed various red herrings. YMMV.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Giles on Mon May 30, 2022 11:03 am

The kind of softness one wants to aim for is based on, or includes, a clear heaven-earth axis. "Suspended head top". As one continues to feel oneself soft and maybe ever softer, subjectively, then to a partner or opponent one's body sometimes feels very heavy and substantial and then again insubstantial and 'not there', depending on the moment. Or part of you seems substantial and another part insubstantial. But never rigid or unresponsive; if that is the case, one has lost the softness.
And as someone recently remarked somewhere here, while the body gets softer, the mind gets 'harder'.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Mon May 30, 2022 6:11 pm

Giles wrote:The kind of softness one wants to aim for is based on, or includes, a clear heaven-earth axis. "Suspended head top". As one continues to feel oneself soft and maybe ever softer, subjectively, then to a partner or opponent one's body sometimes feels very heavy and substantial and then again insubstantial and 'not there', depending on the moment. Or part of you seems substantial and another part insubstantial. But never rigid or unresponsive; if that is the case, one has lost the softness.
And as someone recently remarked somewhere here, while the body gets softer, the mind gets 'harder'.

Sure, and there's a progression to it as well. I've frequently mentioned the formula song, qing, ling, etc. -- first one must understand the stretching nature of song, then you can move on to qing, ling, etc. Excessive focus on song, especially the idea of it as pure relaxation and softness, and getting stuck there, could become a problem if the person never moves beyond that.

Chen Wei-Ming wrote, "The ancient limbering arts, as in the case of Hua Tuo’s Five Animal Frolics, sought to “loosen by imitating the walking motions of bears and stretch by imitating the extending motions of birds” [Zhuangzi, chapter 15], all patterned after birds and beasts. In Taiji Boxing, there are various names such as RETREAT, DRIVING AWAY THE MONKEY and WILD HORSE SENDS ITS MANE SIDE TO SIDE, etc.
Taiji Boxing does not go beyond empty and full, and expand and contract. By way of empty and full, expand and contract, the breathing is regulated. It greatest subtleties lie in moving the whole body evenly and slowly. When the movement is even and slow, then the breathing is naturally deep and long, and thus the breath does not need to be deliberately regulated, for it is now self-regulating. The limbering arts also regulate the breath through the expanding and contracting of the posture, but the exercises of the Tendon Changing Classic and the Eight Sections of Brocade work one movement at a time, while Taiji Boxing is a whole-body exercise which can evenly cultivate every part without the slightest emphasis on any one area, and in this way is able to prevent disease and extend life."
Last edited by Appledog on Mon May 30, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue May 31, 2022 6:36 am

everything wrote:Not offering advice as a teacher, but only offering experience that “didn’t work” imho. Chasing soft was good. It just didn’t result in anything “internal” according to my feeling of being the “throwee” or my feeling of “inside the body” in my experience. I’d rather say “this seems to be a mistake” than to claim “I got it” falsely. This seems more helpful as I believe from the writings here others also followed various red herrings. YMMV.

I am not exactly sure what you "want". But I would agree that softness is not goal. I would rather speak about naturalness, whole body coordination, and getting rid of unnecessary tensions, in order to become even more "natural". Softness and jin (strength) are both result of doing things naturally and becoming good at doing things natural.

Most of the whole quote can be summed up by this part:

“If the breath is trained to move downward and go directly to the elixir field, then in the course of time, the heart [the peak active organ] and kidneys [the peak passive organ] will be cooperating. [b]Water and fire will be in a state of mutual benefit [as in hexagram 63 (made of water ☵ on top of fire ☲)], keeping internal fire from burning upward. Breathing can thus be natural and not get turned around mid-torso. In this way, the body can be said to be connected inside and out, upper body and lower, energy will flow smoothly, and the breath can get through to the lower torso. But there’s basically only one kind of energy and it’s a mistake to think there are two. The problem is when it is kept from getting through. Ziyu said: ‘Seek for your lost mind. Once you have found it, your Daoist mind is born.’ [This seems to be a paraphrasing from Mengzi, chapter 6a: ‘The study of the Way is nothing more than the quest for your lost mind.’] This describes the Daoist principle of watching and listening inwardly.”[/b]

Brennan is very smart inserting this hexagram = No. 63 = "After Completion". Very, very smart. It really sums up everything here.

HEXAGRAM 63 = AFTER COMPLETION

The Judgement
After Completion.
Success in small matters.
Perseverance furthers.

At the beginning good fortune,
At the end disorder.

The Image
Water over fire: the image of the condition
In After Completion.
Thus the superior man
Takes thoughts of misfortune
And arms himself against it in advance.

https://www.iching-online.com/hexagrams ... 10101.html

In Neidan, this hexagram represents the process of internal alchemy, and basic state, or prerequisite for further development.
It also represents the "pre-heavenly" or "Pre-mortal" principle that you need to achieve in order to starting to rejuvenate yourself again and attain a long and healthy life.

The idea is that you, in your daily common life, have a mind-state (thoughts, worrying) that keeps the body's "fire" at the top of the body.

The correct, and "reversed" mind-state will help the "fire" to sink down to the (lower) dantian. Thus replacing "fire over water" (hexagram 64, before completion) with "fire below water". Which of course means = steam (qi/breath). This is why the (3) dantian(s) are drawn as stoves in old neidan charts.

The Neidan, or Daoist interpretation of IMA, is that this mind - and - body state must be achieved and then always preserved while in movement.

The mind should be kept blank, empty, without thoughts or worries. This is the first prerequisite for the fire, or "qi" to sink. A relaxed mind and body will naturally help the breath to sink, and if you keep this mind-state, the spirit will automatically "rise to the top of the head" and nurture the upper dantian (somewhere inside your head). The problem is that the top dantian has "9 chambers", which represents different difficulties controlling the mind and keeping this mind-state. So practicing and continue to persevere is what matters.

So, it's very hard to even reach the first stage, and then much harder to keep it while practicing. That is why it is said:

Success in small matters.
Perseverance furthers.

At the beginning good fortune,
At the end disorder.

You don't want to get to an "end". You need to always keep this state - as it would always be "at the beginning".
(At the beginning means that the whole hexagram is kept intact, if not, it starts to change and transform into other trigrams, i.e., changing the mind-body state.)

But if you understand the mind-state and can use it while moving and doing things, there's only one more thing = keep on practicing and persevere, and you will automatically deepen this state and your understanding of it, and it will become more easy to keep this state.
Last edited by Bao on Tue May 31, 2022 6:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue May 31, 2022 11:43 am

"The mind should be kept blank, empty, without thoughts or worries."

Is it really possible for anyone who is alive and consciously functional to maintain that state of mind, totally blank and empty, with no thought activity whatsoever? I don't believe so.

An effective meditation practice can train the mind to be without attachment to our thoughts or to the outcome of actions motivated by our thoughts, and can certainly reduce the volume of conscious thought activity, but it won't completely eliminate all mental thought activity. That would not only be virtually impossible, but it is also unnecessary in relation to effective combat capabilities.

Of greater value is to realize that the deeper subconscious mind is capable of perceiving and assessing immediate need in any circumstances, and also capable of reacting and responding to same with far greater speed and efficiency than the conscious mind ever can through intellectual analysis and selective decision making.

Thus, when correct foundation principles are properly imbedded in the subconscious mind, along with the body methods, physical postures, movement patterns, and application techniques based upon them through practicing with a calmer, quieter internal state of mind, often referred to as meditation in motion, they can be instantly manifested and efficiently expressed externally as automatic reactions and spontaneous responses in the blink of an eye whenever needed. Simply let it go and let it flow.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue May 31, 2022 12:10 pm

Doc Stier wrote:"The mind should be kept blank, empty, without thoughts or worries."
Is it really possible for anyone who is alive and consciously functional to maintain that state of mind, totally blank and empty, with no thought activity whatsoever? I don't believe so.

"no thought activity whatsoever" is impossible. It's about no deliberate thought, not trying to figure out things and keep mind and heart calm. The mind is aware, you hear, listen, see, take in. Thoughts and emotions can pop up. But you don't cling to them or try to understand them, you just let them pass as the breeze passes by.

I am sure you have heard about "wuxin" - "no mind" or "mushin" as the samurai called it? I myself have mentioned it and written about it before.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby robert on Tue May 31, 2022 12:26 pm

I like the quote of SLT that Bao posted and I like his recent response. I would also point out that Sun and Song are talking about qi sinking to dantian and that is related to Mencius' haoranzhi qi (vast and expansive qi). Qi sinking to dantian is nurturing qi and at advanced levels this is related to compassion and justice. This is related to heart.

Ziyu said: ‘Seek for your lost mind. Once you have found it, your Daoist mind is born.’ [This seems to be a paraphrasing from Mengzi, chapter 6a: ‘The study of the Way is nothing more than the quest for your lost mind.’] This describes the Daoist principle of watching and listening inwardly.

I think this all says something about the nature of qi.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue May 31, 2022 12:51 pm

Bao wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:Is it really possible for anyone who is alive and consciously functional to maintain that state of mind, totally blank and empty, with no thought activity whatsoever? I don't believe so.

"no thought activity whatsoever" is impossible. It's about no deliberate thought, not trying to figure out things and keep mind and heart calm. The mind is aware, you hear, listen, see, take in. Thoughts and emotions can pop up. But you don't cling to them or try to understand them, you just let them pass as the breeze passes by.

I am sure you have heard about "wuxin" - "no mind" or "mushin" as the samurai called it? I myself have mentioned it and written about it before.

I agree completely. However, I was responding to this previous comment:

"The mind should be kept blank, empty, without thoughts or worries",

which appears to exclude the idea that "thoughts and emotions can pop up" as you now state.

The rest of your comments simply reiterate what I said in my last post, as if you didn't even read it, and you're now telling me something I don't already know. :-\
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue May 31, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan