"Honest" Sparring

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:19 pm

Sea.Wolf.Forge wrote:Yes, when professional combat sports athletes know they are in a fight they tend to avoid being hit. If you think this means I paw the air when someone has no functional defense I've got a bridge to sell you, and maybe some new teeth. ::)

Agreed. When someone of any size or age hands an aggressor their ass, it's almost always due to the assailant's own unforced errors caused by their uncontrolled words and actions. So, be careful what you say and do if you want to go home safely with your teeth still in your mouth, not in your pocket.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
User avatar
Doc Stier
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Woodcreek, TX

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Quigga on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:22 pm

Will a dentist replace my teeth with those in my pocket? Don't have to be my own
Enjoying the illusion is true freedom
Quigga
Wuji
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:22 pm

Sea.Wolf.Forge wrote:
origami_itto wrote:
Okay here's an example. Check the stats.

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/6e559181bfbc77e1

Less than half of the punches thrown land.


Yes, when professional combat sports athletes know they are in a fight they tend to avoid being hit. If you think this means I paw the air when someone has no functional defense I've got a bridge to sell you, and maybe some new teeth. ::)


Only a third of their effort has any effect on their opponent. This is winning.
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that jing.
"What is essential is invisible to the eye"
Have Peng, Will Travel.
Die Pistole Macht Frei
Join my discord, Pulling Silk
User avatar
origami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Palm Bay, FL

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:24 pm

But again, what are the conditions, it seems to change depending on the point you're making. Now someone in a street fight can be assumed to have no functional defense.
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that jing.
"What is essential is invisible to the eye"
Have Peng, Will Travel.
Die Pistole Macht Frei
Join my discord, Pulling Silk
User avatar
origami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Palm Bay, FL

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Quigga on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:25 pm

I'm not sure I follow here. Why would my actions be 1/3 effective?
Enjoying the illusion is true freedom
Quigga
Wuji
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:26 pm

Quigga wrote:Will a dentist replace my teeth with those in my pocket? Don't have to be my own

Haha! I'm sure that if you have the money, they have the time to give you a brand new set of teeth. No problem. Lol
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
User avatar
Doc Stier
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Woodcreek, TX

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Quigga on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:28 pm

What better time to invest in teeth insurance than right now :D
Enjoying the illusion is true freedom
Quigga
Wuji
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:34 pm

Quigga wrote:What better time to invest in teeth insurance than right now :D

Yes, sir. Always make sure that your health insurance plan includes full coverage for major dental and chiropractic care. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Just saying!
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
User avatar
Doc Stier
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Woodcreek, TX

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Quigga on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:09 pm

You are absolutely right. Don't have them as of right now, the arrogant power of youth is what sustains me right now. Better get it done
Enjoying the illusion is true freedom
Quigga
Wuji
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:35 pm

Quigga wrote:You are absolutely right. Don't have them as of right now, the arrogant power of youth is what sustains me right now. Better get it done


As a Canadian I have full health care, but teeth are considered "luxury bones" at both federal and provincial levels.

Image

Doc Stier wrote:Agreed. When someone of any size or age hands an aggressor their ass, it's almost always due to the assailant's own unforced errors caused by their uncontrolled words and actions. So, be careful what you say and do if you want to go home safely with your teeth still in your mouth, not in your pocket.


This guy gets it.

origami_itto wrote:
Only a third of their effort has any effect on their opponent. This is winning.


This guy not so much.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Mingjing
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 pm

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:41 pm

The funnies thing I have seen is two guys going outside the pub for a fight
Both took out their dentures
Rockhead won the fight
He came back into the pub picked up the loosers teeth and threw them on to Vitoria rd
It is Sydney’s busiest street the teeth were run over by many cars
Rockhead then put his own teeth back in but they didn’t fit
He had thrown his teeth on the road
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 4488
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:00 pm

wayne hansen wrote:The funnies thing I have seen is two guys going outside the pub for a fight
Both took out their dentures
Rockhead won the fight
He came back into the pub picked up the loosers teeth and threw them on to Vitoria rd
It is Sydney’s busiest street the teeth were run over by many cars
Rockhead then put his own teeth back in but they didn’t fit
He had thrown his teeth on the road

Hahaha! Older guys like that are affectionately referred to as Good Ole Boys here in Texas. Lol
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
User avatar
Doc Stier
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Woodcreek, TX

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:47 pm

He would have been in his early 40’s at the time
I was sitting with George Barnes the wrestler who toured the states quite a few times
We were in stitches
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 4488
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:50 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
Quigga wrote:What better time to invest in teeth insurance than right now :D

Yes, sir. Always make sure that your health insurance plan includes full coverage for major dental and chiropractic care. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Just saying!

Even with pretty good insurance I was still out $5K out of pocket to fix my chipped front teeth.
My ex's new boyfriend threw a beer bottle in my face and broke them. So I gave him a drink of water.
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that jing.
"What is essential is invisible to the eye"
Have Peng, Will Travel.
Die Pistole Macht Frei
Join my discord, Pulling Silk
User avatar
origami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Palm Bay, FL

Re: "Honest" Sparring

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:52 pm

Sea.Wolf.Forge wrote:
origami_itto wrote:
Only a third of their effort has any effect on their opponent. This is winning.


This guy not so much.

Oh I'm clueless and I'll tell that to anyone who will listen.
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that jing.
"What is essential is invisible to the eye"
Have Peng, Will Travel.
Die Pistole Macht Frei
Join my discord, Pulling Silk
User avatar
origami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Palm Bay, FL

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests