I interviewed Tim Cartmell

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

I interviewed Tim Cartmell

Postby GrahamB on Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:09 am

Hey RSF,

My latest - an interview with Tim Cartmell.

He remains a voice of sanity and reason in the Chinese martial arts.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/e ... 0577001553

I'll put a YouTube version up... soon....
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: I interviewed Tim Cartmell

Postby GrahamB on Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:10 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:11 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:51 pm

Nice not to cover background, save time and cover some new material. At 37:32,

Tim Cartmell (IMAist) on Aug 23, 2022 wrote:I think MMA brought realistic training back into vogue. Because, it was kind of out of style. People were doing exotic Asian MAs. They were competing. I mean, there was some fighting, Sanda…. There was wrestling here and boxing there. But to have a sport with the least amount of rules as possible and it to be worldwide, MMA as a concept has done more to promote and preserve realistic MAs than anything in the last thousand years. It’s that important…. It’s a sport, but it's real fighting. And, it’s well-rounded fighting.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:01 pm

Thnks. Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can get his bio online, no need to go over it all again :)

That was a good quote, he has a knack of putting things in a simple way that's also profound.

I'm not convinced about his no gi grappling prediction, but I could well be wrong...
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:47 pm

excellent!
thanks
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:31 am

marvin8 wrote:Nice not to cover background, save time and cover some new material. At 37:32,

Tim Cartmell (IMAist) on Aug 23, 2022 wrote:I think MMA brought realistic training back into vogue. Because, it was kind of out of style. People were doing exotic Asian MAs. They were competing. I mean, there was some fighting, Sanda…. There was wrestling here and boxing there. But to have a sport with the least amount of rules as possible and it to be worldwide, MMA as a concept has done more to promote and preserve realistic MAs than anything in the last thousand years. It’s that important…. It’s a sport, but it's real fighting. And, it’s well-rounded fighting.

...I feel like this guy and I would get along real well. :D
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby Sean on Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:11 am

Tim is so cool. He's my freakin' hero!
Sean
Wuji

Postby lightingbolt on Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:12 am

A great souce of inspiration. Tim is a real model for an effective approach to chinese martial arts. Thanks for your job and your blog, as always. ;)
lightingbolt
Santi

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:11 pm

Like many other martial arts enthusiasts, Tim Cartmell learned several styles from highly accomplished, expert teachers. However, such good fortune has never guaranteed any student's success in replicating a teacher's personal achievement and skills.

In contrast to most practitioners of any martial art style or system, imo, Tim has distinguished himself among others by virtue of a serious, consistently focused training regimen. He is obviously wise enough to realize that merely learning what to practice and how to practice it from expert teachers is insufficient by itself without also replicating the work ethic of their training efforts.

As such, I respect and admire everyone like Tim who chooses to verify the merits of their own training regimen through personal demonstration of their obvious results, rather than just lazily promoting themselves via their association with famous teachers. 8-)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan