Some real truth the CTH way

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Some real truth the CTH way

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:12 pm

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Some real truth the CTH way

Postby Trip on Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:34 pm

Interested but can't see it
is there another way to see it besides Facebook?
Can you give a summary?
Trip
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:28 pm

Here's the article the FB link is pointing to: https://express.adobe.com/page/qKGuEfHPWwGNv/?fbclid=IwAR3u5mMkqXghkAHmU--X2hZXG8Je_ilcvKT_F6hmB3c67pUuXX-Yqzs6Mmw

V nice article by Dan Docherty's senior kungfu brother Ian Cameron, who also studied the Wu 24 neigong directly under Cheng Tin-hung.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Trip on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:19 pm

Thank you for the link! :) :)
Trip
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:36 am

Hi,

Thanks for the article - a good read. I really liked two points he made - firstly that older style training was to be shown a move a few times, then just get on and practice it, and people really didn't fuss too much about the exact angle of arms and legs, etc. If your form looked different to others, it wasn't a big deal - it was expected. The forms was yours to own. Compare this to various 'forms seminars' that get taught these days, with the seemingly endless 'individual correction'. It's a completely different mindset.

Secondly, the idea that change comes from within. That's related to the first point. If the change genuinely comes from within the student then the form is correct, the opposite being trying to fix a form by working from the outside.

A couple more things he mentioned that I'm not entirely sold on. Firstly, this idea that all that's required is practice and we should stop over intellectualising things. I think that's true to a point, but it's also why 90% (98?) of the people in a class never 'get it' and just keep going rounding circles for years never getting anywhere. I think being able to ask more "how" and "why" questions can lead to better understandings. I think the traditional Chinese teaching model can be improved in this area.

Secondly, he never really explains what he means by these dark forces " imposing ideas upon Tai Chi,", thus it seems a bit of a straw man argument to me. Who are these people? What exactly are they doing? He clearly has people in mind when he's writing, but it's left vague. Be specific, show your work.

Nice pictures!
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:36 am

I'm totally in agreement with the advice to think less and feel more, both in solo forms training and in practical applications for realtime fighting, as well as the concept of all meaningful change emanating from within.

Additionally, it has been my personal experience that much of the most valuable information I have received from my primary teachers was the direct result of constantly asking good questions regarding the energy dynamics of internal cultivation, beyond the superficial aspects of the external physical details of practice. ymmv.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:12 am

There's a qualitative difference between change that "comes from within" in an environment of constant sparring, drilling, and other partner work with guys who have real life experience of what they're training for, and that which "comes from within" based on reading translations of poetry written by old dead guys and other philosophical musings.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:11 pm

I think you missed the point that school does plenty of fighting
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:07 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I think you missed the point that school does plenty of fighting

Yes, I got that. What I was saying is that none of the other stuff works if that basis in functional violence isn't there. You don't have to over-correct a movement someone is going to immediately use to stop themselves getting punched in the face because physics and pain take care of that correction all on their own.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:54 pm

wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:34 am

Given that Tai Chi naturally changes over the years, I still think it is important to stay as close to the original as possible.

But then again, what is the original Tai Chi, or closest to it? What your teacher does? Chen Xiaowang? "Imperial Yang"? :-\

If you accept Tai Chi Chuan basically as a set of principles that unites all Tai Chi styles, then (IMHO) understanding and practicing those principles is what is important and everything else secondary. If those principles are present, there is Tai Chi Chuan. If they are not, there's no Tai Chi Chuan...
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:18 am

There are the principles as layed down in the classics
Then there is the Shen Fa of each school
Then there are the principles of the Shen Fa
wayne hansen