using your ima in non-combat sports

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

using your ima in non-combat sports

Postby everything on Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:13 pm

have you been doing this? how? how not?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: using your ima in non-combat sports

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Certain sports require a "no mind/be in the moment" approach. Thinking too much gets in the way of a lot of things. The phrase "playing out of his/her mind" is evidence of that. But can you repeat it? Linsanity comes to mind, but there are others who continually are able to block out all distractions and perform. Some athletes run the play as called and others improvise based on the situation. American football players Barry Sanders and Gayle Sayers were great improvisers while basketball player Reggie Miller could not create his own shot. One other thing I have learned from CIMA is never overcomitting. Be adaptable in all situations.
Last edited by Taste of Death on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:54 pm

I do not know the extent of this but balance and eye-hand coordination has helped me in numerous situations.
One time I passed a driver on the road who was appearing to slow down so I sped up but he attenmpted to cause an accident so I kept driving looking straight ahead in my vehicle without maintaining contact but when I saw a police car
enter my peripheral vision, I stayed about 3 car lengths behind the cruiser until the driver disappeared. A few times, I almost fell down and up stairs but I was able to maintain my balance without falling despite feeling that I was off balance.

The subtlety of IMA appears useless at times because it is difficult to objectify but I am aware that I am a "better person" based on my actions and behavioural inclincation, even according to my own illusions of stupidity ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:45 pm

for car crash or accident avoidance type stuff, people say they experience time dilation where time seems to slow down.

lately if I attempt to play goalie at soccer(football), I tell myself to deliberately "see the play in slow motion". this seems to make me pay a little closer attention to the tiny shifts. i'm looking for cues such as someone lifting a leg (prep to kick). then i try to make a small move L or R or whatever. If I don't tell myself that, I think I really don't experience that moment as "slowly" as I'm not trying to process as many detailed motions. also, since i'm not really a keeper, none of these things are habits/internalized. I have to "try hard".

I guess it’s meditation or mindfulness in those small moments
Last edited by everything on Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 am

the other day I used "Kao" to shoulder charge and knock my opponent off balance in casual soccer(football). it was easy to do since he was mostly on one leg (other foot manipulating the ball). no dead angle or anything like that needed to get max leverage. my teammates were saying "physically push him" so it was simplest to use kao. The guy knocked off balance thought it was really good and legal push and asked me if I'd been lifting weights. I wouldn't be able to go into a long explanation about tai chi blah blah blah. It definitely disrupted him enough to not be able to pass or dribble because he was spending a second to regain balance.

OTOH there's a big guy who will use kao all the time on purpose and just because he's big, so if you bump into him, you probably bounce off. his on purpose kao doesn't really work on me, not because I have any "internal power" or moving root. it's just easy to read it and yield slightly by de-tensing enough while keeping as one unit and just "bounce" off him an inch and keep going. you can tell he thinks it would off balance me, so he's more disrupted his kao doesn't work. imho anyone who does some tai chi as an "external" art with no "internal power" would be fine in this situation. but ideally I'd have some "internal" and handle it more smoothly.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:01 pm

Usually, people ask the opposite question: "Does doing external sports hurt someone's tcc?" I think the answer is that training tcc (or ima/ema) will always help one's other activities (running, swimming, cycling, etc).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:22 pm

I would claim I do tcc only so-so, with no "internal", and it still has made me do any sport better (all mediocre, but...).
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:40 am

I try to be very 'relaxed' when running, biking, climbing, swimming etc.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:02 am

I have beng chuaned every member of my local darts team. Now they don't want me to play anymore. I don't understand why.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:12 pm

everything wrote:I would claim I do tcc only so-so, with no "internal", and it still has made me do any sport better (all mediocre, but...).

bnectar
Oct 22, 2020

Taiji & Football Hand Drills
Version 4b has additional examples. @ 4:19-ish to end (his last play), Can you be one of the first to name this Sequence of apps correctly? : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtQM_A1lFjg

bnectar
Oct 19, 2020

Shaquille O'Neal, the most physically dominant players in NBA history, teaches his son a Taiji lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWds16w-kpk
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trip on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:53 pm

How Bruce Lee's Protégé Helped the Dallas Cowboys Win a Super Bowl and Changed the NFL

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna803546

Edit:
Title of the article should be
"How Dan Inosanto Helped the Dallas Cowboys Win a Super Bowl and Changed the NFL

Dan Inosanto ran a secret martial arts training program for the Dallas Cowboys in 1977. The team would go on to win the 1978 Super Bowl.

“Martial arts is all-inclusive, not only in close range contact but also evasive actions,” Ward, 84, said. “[It’s] a comprehensive art and science of all human movement, especially Bruce Lee’s [style]. You’d have to be blind not to see the value when you see the performance application on the field.”

One of the defensive lineman who benefited was Randy White, then a newcomer to the Cowboys — and to martial arts.

“About that time, the rules changed in the NFL where the offensive linemen had a lot more liberty to use their hands, and so a lot of the pass-rush techniques that were effective in the past were no longer effective,” White, 64, recalled. “Nobody had really heard of martial arts and football. Nobody had ever really put the two together and make it work.”
Last edited by Trip on Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trip
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan