zhan 沾 nian 黏 lian 连 sui 随

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: zhan 沾 nian 黏 lian 连 sui 随

Postby origami_itto on Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:37 am

Oh I'm not arguing with you. You restated what I said and i restated what you said.

Despite tons of evidence to the contrary around here, it's entirely possible to have a discussion without being adversarial.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:25 pm

Internet discussions are often focused on disagreement, rather than progressing the argument. So, they do tend to become loops. I thought the space comments were interesting. But, my main point was that Wuji isn't empty space because empty has to have an opposite component (and make up Taiji).

Imo, everything is right that the Chinese concept of Wuji is as valid as theories of before the big bang. What always boggles my mind is that from wherever we are looking into space, we are always looking into the past. We are also in the past to anyone watching from where they are.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:14 pm

"looking into the past" is cool. the idea that "space time is curved" or just the idea of "space time" itself is really mind boggling to me.

we covered it before somewhat, but the idea that we live in 3-D (or 4-D) in "macroscopic" reality, but "microscopic" reality is 17-D, so we live in a "shadow" world, like 2-D shadows made from the 3-D "real world", is also mind-boggling to me. For some reason, it seems easier to have a for-dummies version of this idea in my head, though.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:30 pm

I was watching season two of Barbarians on Netflix. One of them who'd been brought up with the Romans was chatting with his wife and said, "The Greeks taught that the stars were spheres in the sky." His wife looked at him, then laughed, "Everybody knows stars are the campfires of the ancestors." We're sort of stuck with our way of seeing "reality." Some serious astrophysicists are arguing that our 3d perception of reality is wrong, and reality is really 2d. We see projections of that reality... like holograms. And, we laugh :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:39 pm

I was watching that too yesterday
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am

"campfires of the ancestors". great line, lol. haven't seen that show (yet). House of Dragon finale was excellent, though.

2d? that hurts my brain too much.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 am

2d? that hurts my brain too much.

It hurts everyone's brain. We just have to accept that what we call "reality" is an illusion -our particular brains have evolved in order to survive on this planet. There's no guarantee our minds can ever understand our brains. However, we can find ways to test "reality," and the results are clear. Some strange things are true, and we don't understand how.

Check the most recent Nobel physics and chemistry winners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk_0QM_UA4I
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:37 am

if Einstein thought it was "spooky action at a distance", not sure what mere mortals are supposed to think.

maybe

everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:45 am

Einstein, however, was the one who proposed the idea in the first place. :) Btw, Schrodinger was arguing that the cat in the box was either dead or alive. So, Einstein was actually right.
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan