An intersection of the straight and curved..

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: An intersection of the straight and curved..

Postby marvin8 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:12 am

Doc Stier wrote:Ai-aah! Yau mo gau cho aah! ::)

I'm guessing that everyone here understood your point of view somewhere during the first 15 videos like this you posted here. Give it a rest! :-\

I explained when, the context and why of my replies that included video or clips in this discussion thread (even all the straw man arguments in other threads). Each time, I felt it was relevant and added to the discussion. If you disagree, can you please quote me and provide your argument/discussion?
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:18 am

No, thanks. Knock yourself out, man. Carry on as you were. ::)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:53 am

Doc Stier wrote:No, thanks. Knock yourself out, man. Carry on as you were. ::)

Okay. So, then...

marvin8 wrote:
johnwang wrote:
marvin8 wrote:I believe we are both speaking about intercepting:

Agree! Besides intercepting, what else can we talk about?

We can talk about general (not taijiquan) meaning skills (yin, ting, na, hua, fa, zhan, nian, lian and sui). Which can be used with a variety of strategies: post & rift, gemini twin, 3/4 surrounding, mongolian attacks, 2:1 ratio, artillery screening, etc.

Good to talk about strategies. However, your strategies can be too simplistic and countered.
johnwang wrote:- You use circle running, I use straight line to intercept you.

1. circle left luring (yin) you to turn and follow (control/na) 2. hand fight and listen (ting) for you to weight the back foot 3. neutralize (hua) your incoming force by issuing (fa) foot sweep and pushing down (an).

johnwang wrote:- You use straight punch (jab, cross), I use circular punch (hook, har-maker) to intercept you.

I lure (yin) you to chase my lead arm with your "circular punch (hook, hay-maker)." Then, I circle my lead arm into a hook and KO you:

https://imgur.com/HP1G5hU.gif

The aforementioned skills and strategies help prevent countering by getting the opponent to double weight or "post (post & rift)," before changing (hua) or attacking. This also gives the option to exit at an angle—which will require the opponent to turn and attack (2 moves), while you only have to attack (1 move), hence the name 2:1 ratio. Once you realize that that’s what you’re doing, it allows you a goal to try to get to—setting these structures up. These skills and strategies allow you to "hit and don't get hit."
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan