[xingyi] Videos of all the techniques of tiger?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: [xingyi] Videos of all the techniques of tiger?

Postby nicklinjm on Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:47 pm

Andreas, the book by Shang Ji is called "The Combat Art of Xingyiquan" (Xingyiquan jiji shu), and was released in Chinese about 20 yrs ago. AFAIK I don't think there is any English translation available.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:54 pm

AndreasDavour wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:TST does not just take parts of the art and teach then haphazardly
It teaches each art in its complete form
Tiger is taught along with the other 11 animals as a complete form
Tiger has six different techniques I can think of

Tang shou Tao was a totally new concept to me until this thread was started. Naturally it has some kind of system to it, and cross training bagua and xing yi was common in the old days, so why not now? I guess there are maybe gems contained within those teachings.

A better strategy is to find and ask about some current xingyi teachers in your surrounding area and study from that person. When you have reachers a state of understanding and experience, then investigate "tiger techniques" because of the many variations of conditioning(s) that exists and ability to use based on your age, degree of fitness, inclinations, etc. I recently met some fellows who are good at wing chun but have borrowed some elements of shuai (throwing) concepts in their art to make it more digestible and useful. You MAY not be able to work with tiger techniques but others patterns of functional utility could be your strong point. As you know, some fellows are good at throwing, others are good at qinna, others at combination like striking. You might even be great at ground work type systems. Try it out!

Here is a sample of Lou De Xiu's Clever Hands

When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby edededed on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:06 am

In xingyi, tiger seems to have the most variations of the 12 animals (at least in Hebei) - but many seem to not really overlap within the different branches.

Interesting to see and compare, anyway. Lots of interesting variations from Di Guoyong's book, Zhang Junfeng lineages, and many other Hebei branches, too.

Not sure about Shanxi branches - do Che, Song practitioners learn many variations of tiger, too?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby AndreasDavour on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:08 am

nicklinjm wrote:Andreas, the book by Shang Ji is called "The Combat Art of Xingyiquan" (Xingyiquan jiji shu), and was released in Chinese about 20 yrs ago. AFAIK I don't think there is any English translation available.

Thanks. No, I don't think there is. I asked just to be sure I had not missed it.
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby AndreasDavour on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:09 am

yeniseri wrote:.

I believe Tim Cartmell trained with a few of their teachers in Taiwan ??? ;D

Yes, reading up on the subject, his name did indeed show up.
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby AndreasDavour on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:11 am

yeniseri wrote:
AndreasDavour wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:TST does not just take parts of the art and teach then haphazardly
It teaches each art in its complete form
Tiger is taught along with the other 11 animals as a complete form
Tiger has six different techniques I can think of

Tang shou Tao was a totally new concept to me until this thread was started. Naturally it has some kind of system to it, and cross training bagua and xing yi was common in the old days, so why not now? I guess there are maybe gems contained within those teachings.

A better strategy is to find and ask about some current xingyi teachers in your surrounding area and study from that person.

Oh yes. I am not hunting for another teacher right now, even if there were any around I did not know of. I have material to work with, but it's always interesting to know there are approaches around I was not aware of.
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby AndreasDavour on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:14 am

edededed wrote:In xingyi, tiger seems to have the most variations of the 12 animals (at least in Hebei) - but many seem to not really overlap within the different branches.

Interesting to see and compare, anyway. Lots of interesting variations from Di Guoyong's book, Zhang Junfeng lineages, and many other Hebei branches, too.

Not sure about Shanxi branches - do Che, Song practitioners learn many variations of tiger, too?

That could very well be so. I found tiger talked to me, and have worked somewhat to grasp its spirit.

Comparing is indeed interesting. There's lot to learn with an open mind. Maybe nicklinjm could enlighten us on Song style? That is your style, is it not?
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:06 pm

There was a Muslim guy on YouTube
He was quite solid with a scull cap
He filmed outside in a monetary
He did heaps of variations of tiger and other things
Seems to have disappeared I wish I could find him again he was my favourite Hsing I guy
By the way lots of guys claim to train TST it is not always the case
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:07 pm

wayne hansen wrote:There was a Muslim guy on YouTube
He was quite solid with a scull cap
He filmed outside in a monetary
He did heaps of variations of tiger and other things
Seems to have disappeared I wish I could find him again he was my favourite Hsing I guy
By the way lots of guys claim to train TST it is not always the case

I believe this guy:

marvin8 wrote:yiquandacheng
Published on Nov 29, 2008

Walker: Zhang Yunlong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b03GTXoxX5Y
marvin8
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:29 pm

It seems to me that most of the discussion in this thread is how to traing tiger technique. Do people have interest in how to use tiger technique in fighting?

Under what condition you will strike out both palms at the same time?

Last edited by johnwang on Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Marcus on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:17 pm

The Five Tigers as taught in the Yizong lineage and as I learned from both Luo Deshou and Hung Yixiang are broken down according to the 5 Element creative cycle, Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth. And, for the most part are considered as a counterpart system of Xingyi’s Five Element Fist, Pi, Zhuan, Beng, Pao and Heng. Each is theorized to represent a double handed version of the Five Element Fist. As such they are broken down in categories of Qi , Dynamic, Jin and Direction, etc. So for instance Metal Tiger’s Qi is (rise and fall) its Dynamic is (drilling overturning), its Jin is (heavy and dropping) its Direction is (up and down). In my opinion, they are an indispensable (essential) addition to the Five Element Fist. While the Five Fist are represented as WuXing, in combination with the Five Tigers represent the 10 Heavenly Stems.

They all use 7 Star stepping which suggest they primarily enter and apply flanking tactics. In that way the the double handed methods are key in tying up and trapping the hands so that the double strike force can be utilized. The operation of the two hands are generally seen to symbolize the jaws of the Tiger’s mouth opening and closing..

In my opinion Tiger is perhaps the the most important of the 12 animals. Its basic use however (pouncing) is generally misunderstood… in that regard similar to the usage as Taji (Tui-push).
Last edited by Marcus on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marcus
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:48 pm

Yes Marvin that is the guy
His tiger sequence is great
Thanks for that
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:52 pm

Andreas, for Song AFAIK Song tiger is relatively simple, merely Yin and Yang versions.

FWIW I really like the Hebei versions (hu jie, hu lan), would be great to see more discussions as to usage of those.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:19 pm

Luo Jinhua goes over some Tiger variants in this video as well.

https://youtu.be/n6TBl0QkuMM?t=584
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:19 pm

Thanks
I like this guy but his monkey is so different
Is there any other stuff of this lineage out there
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan