[xingyi] Videos of all the techniques of tiger?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

[xingyi] Videos of all the techniques of tiger?

Postby AndreasDavour on Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am

I found a video ages ago on youtube with Di Guoyong teaching the 12 animal forms, and found it both clear and insightful. Later I bought his books on xingyi translated by Andrea Falk, and also found them insightful and illuminating.

Now I went back and looked at that instructional video, and realized that he does not show all the techniques of the tiger form he shows in the book. Actually, I have not found very many videos of the techniques Falk translates as "tiger intercepts" (hujie) and "tiger traps" (hulan) at all, and none with Di Guoyong. Anyone have any to share? Anyone know if Di Guoyong have ever recorded any?

Thanks.
AndreasDavour
Santi

Re: [xingyi] Videos of all the techniques of tiger?

Postby wushutiger on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:14 am

hi

I am a disciple of Di Guoyong's and I have learnt all the variations and methods of his tiger shape. There unfortunately isnt any publicly available recording of all of the methods. I showed a couple of variations for a few frames in a video I made earlier this year, but I did not put all of them in it.

In my online program, I will present the less known variations at some point.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby AndreasDavour on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:54 am

Ah, Byron of course I should have remembered you. Thanks for chiming in. Are these variations something from just your teacher's lineage, or do you know why nobody else seems to be filming or describing them?
Last edited by AndreasDavour on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:12 am

I haven’t seen the full Tang Shou Tao set on film
Might be on way of the warrior
Last edited by wayne hansen on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby AndreasDavour on Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:48 am

Tang Shou Tao? That was something new to me. How does that relate?
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:25 pm

Tang Shou Tao is the art of Hung I Hsiang
Tai chi
Hsing I
Pa kua
Internal Shaolin
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:53 pm

@Andreas, the likely reason that the tiger variations are not commonly shown are they are considered 'inside the door' material, i.e. stuff that teachers use to distinguish who actually learnt from them and who is just copying videos. It is a pretty common practice in CMA.

FWIW, the tiger variations you are talking about are also shown by Shang Ji (Zhang Zhaodong / Liu Weixiang -> Ma Litang -> Shang) in his book as well.

Also found this demonstration https://play.tudou.com/v_show/id_XMjcyNjgwNjcyMA==.html?spm=a2hbt.20746970.0.20746970 by a practitioner from an unnamed lineage who shows some of the variations.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby AndreasDavour on Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:30 am

wayne hansen wrote:Tang Shou Tao is the art of Hung I Hsiang
Tai chi
Hsing I
Pa kua
Internal Shaolin

Right, so as it's incorporating parts from all those arts it does include some tiger shapes as well. Yeah, that figures I guess. Around these parts tang shou tao is not exactly well known, so I had not even considered that.
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby yeniseri on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:36 am

Tang shou Tao is not a system per se but a method/way of presenting hybrid elements of conditioning and training to met that specific goal of training.
Tiger techniques are many in origin based on the teacher's exposure and experience and Taiwan CMA is known for this integration of training that states itself to be a better foundation vis a vis mainland CMA.

I was associated with American YiZung IMA for a short period through attendance at a Zhanzhuang seminar/workshop. The origin is stated to the brainchild of Zhang Junfeng, a well known exponent in Taiwan.
One individual named Pan You, a current exponent used to teach this system and I do not know if he is still associated with this YiZung organization. He allegedly has a student Wei Chung Lin (who has sinced passed away) and used to be the Headmaster of Il chinese Taoist Martial Arts Association. NOTE: I am not affiliated with this organization but I use to attend some of their functions. According to my understanding, as stated by Wei Chung Lin, head teacher of Chinese Taoist Martial Arts (Skokie, IL) Hung I Hsiang (Tang shou Tao) was a student of Zhang Junfeng!
Last edited by yeniseri on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:54 am

I really enjoyed seeing some the Tiger variants in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qV6-Imnte0
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:38 pm

TST does not just take parts of the art and teach then haphazardly
It teaches each art in its complete form
Tiger is taught along with the other 11 animals as a complete form
Tiger has six different techniques I can think of
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby AndreasDavour on Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:10 am

nicklinjm wrote:@Andreas, the likely reason that the tiger variations are not commonly shown are they are considered 'inside the door' material, i.e. stuff that teachers use to distinguish who actually learnt from them and who is just copying videos. It is a pretty common practice in CMA.

FWIW, the tiger variations you are talking about are also shown by Shang Ji (Zhang Zhaodong / Liu Weixiang -> Ma Litang -> Shang) in his book as well.

Also found this demonstration https://play.tudou.com/v_show/id_XMjcyNjgwNjcyMA==.html?spm=a2hbt.20746970.0.20746970 by a practitioner from an unnamed lineage who shows some of the variations.

I had not thought of that. But, it makes sense I guess, for some of those extra variations to be 'indoor' teachings.

Thanks for the link!

What Shang Ji book would that be?
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby AndreasDavour on Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:12 am

greytowhite wrote:I really enjoyed seeing some the Tiger variants in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qV6-Imnte0

I guess me search had not been thorough enough. :) Thanks!
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby AndreasDavour on Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:15 am

wayne hansen wrote:TST does not just take parts of the art and teach then haphazardly
It teaches each art in its complete form
Tiger is taught along with the other 11 animals as a complete form
Tiger has six different techniques I can think of

Tang shou Tao was a totally new concept to me until this thread was started. Naturally it has some kind of system to it, and cross training bagua and xing yi was common in the old days, so why not now? I guess there are maybe gems contained within those teachings.
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby yeniseri on Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:33 am

Unbeknownst to many people, Tang Shou Tao has been influential in promomoting CMA to the highest level and even Lou De Xiu went through its doors
Some of mainstream US American teachers trained under the banner of TST and expanded their knowledge of CMA
Though it has origins in Taiwan, many teachers trained in the mainland before the KMT and CCCP collided and many left for the island! Much of this information is left out as to why they have influenced so many masters of the day.

I believe Tim Cartmell trained with a few of their teachers in Taiwan ??? ;D
Last edited by yeniseri on Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan