[xingyi] Videos of all the techniques of tiger?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: [xingyi] Videos of all the techniques of tiger?

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:51 pm

yeniseri wrote:
Here is a sample of Lou De Xiu's Clever Hands

Oh hey, my instructors instructor. Did a seminar with him at one point. Huge respect.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:53 pm

Marcus wrote:The Five Tigers as taught in the Yizong lineage and as I learned from both Luo Deshou and Hung Yixiang are broken down according to the 5 Element creative cycle, Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth. And, for the most part are considered as a counterpart system of Xingyi’s Five Element Fist, Pi, Zhuan, Beng, Pao and Heng. Each is theorized to represent a double handed version of the Five Element Fist. As such they are broken down in categories of Qi , Dynamic, Jin and Direction, etc. So for instance Metal Tiger’s Qi is (rise and fall) its Dynamic is (drilling overturning), its Jin is (heavy and dropping) its Direction is (up and down). In my opinion, they are an indispensable (essential) addition to the Five Element Fist. While the Five Fist are represented as WuXing, in combination with the Five Tigers represent the 10 Heavenly Stems.

They all use 7 Star stepping which suggest they primarily enter and apply flanking tactics. In that way the the double handed methods are key in tying up and trapping the hands so that the double strike force can be utilized. The operation of the two hands are generally seen to symbolize the jaws of the Tiger’s mouth opening and closing..

In my opinion Tiger is perhaps the the most important of the 12 animals. Its basic use however (pouncing) is generally misunderstood… in that regard similar to the usage as Taji (Tui-push).

This is interesting, for some reason it was not in the curriculum I experienced maybe bc it was more bagua-focused, no idea, sounds cool though.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:21 pm

I learned Xingyi and Bagua from Master Zhang Junfeng and his wife Xu Baomei. The Tiger is one of the first animal sets that one learned at our school (the other being Dragon, which was generally taught prior to Tiger). There were 5 tiger "sets" (basically repetitive movements practiced with "7 star" stepping). There were some additional variations on the Tiger set movements taught as part of a series of sets called "Eight Hands". In addition there was specific hand training to train the grasping movements inherent in the Tiger applications. One of the aspects of training Tiger that I do not see demonstrated in any of the videos in this thread is "tiger back" - the use of force generated from the back and shoulders with a distinctive stretch and rolling quality - much like a cat or a tiger.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:36 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Thanks
I like this guy but his monkey is so different
Is there any other stuff of this lineage out there

Luo Jinhua was a student of Sha Guozheng. You can find more on Jef Sutherland's Facebook and YouTube. Sha Junjie and his wife also have some good stuff out there.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:40 pm

Sha is one of my favorites and I have seen some good students
There is one female student who I think might be German who I like
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan