Dug Corpolongo Taijiquan Seminar Review

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Dug Corpolongo Taijiquan Seminar Review

Postby greytowhite on Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:21 pm

Dug Corpolongo is my lineage uncle and he was in town this weekend doing a Taiji seminar for Rick Clark and his students. I got to meet a few more people in the Guang Ping Yang family. He had two push hands portions and one form instruction class. We got through about half of the Beijing 24. While I missed yesterday's push hands portion as I was leading Bagua practice I was able to make it for form and today's push hands class. Dug is kind and very generous in what he teaches. He used me for a number of concept and technique demonstrations and he felt like an invisible Bear. The power was overwhelming and subtle. Dug contrasted a little of the Yiquan he learned from Henry Look with the Taiji pushing method and I found that very enlightening as to how the Han Xing Qiao material I have been practicing is different from the older Kuo/Han Xingyuan material. He has trained with a number of Yang style lineages including Cheng, Dong, and Guang Ping. I really enjoyed hearing stories of Henry Look and Kuo Lien-Ying. For $50, I got some information that may have gone over others' heads at class but was well worth it to me. I look forward to training with Sibak Dug in the future
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Re: Dug Corpolongo Taijiquan Seminar Review

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:43 pm

Nice, thanks for sharing :)
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:06 am

I first met Master Kuo Lien-Ying at the Chinatown park in San Francisco across the street from his school in 1973. I had heard that various people trained in the park very early every morning, so I practiced there from 5-7am everyday to see what usually happens.

Sifu Kuo approached me on the third day, along with a student translator. We talked for at least 30 minutes about principles and our respective training methods. I was quite impressed by him and was delighted that he noticed me and took the time to engage in a conversation. Very cool! 8-)

Subsequently, I met some of Kuo's notable students like Y.C. Chiang, Henry Look, and David Chin, mostly through CMA tournament events in the mid-1980's. All of them were exceptional martial artists and very gracious individuals. The tournaments were where I also first met Dug Corpolongo and other teachers in that lineage.

Those who are still living remain valued and respected friends to date. They are all good people and good teachers, who have much to offer to anyone who has an opportunity to learn from them. :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:27 pm

Thank you for sharing that experience Doc Stier! I find the Guang Ping one of the more interesting Yang substyles and found that I really admired the movement of a number of the practitioners. I'm very grateful to our own Taste of Death here on the board for introducing me to the Han Family Yiquan material and the doors that has opened for me in learning Bagua, Taiji, and Xingyi as well.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan