Athletic Support

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Athletic Support

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:52 am

For the more active activites and training involving jumping and striking, sparring, do you wear any sort of supportive garment for the old wedding tackle?

A dance belt, perhaps? Classic jock strap? Tighty whities? Tight boxers? Loose boxers? Commando?

I've noticed reverberations during some of those activities that border on painful at times so I'm considering adopting the practice for more vigorous work, just wondering what y'all think of it.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Athletic Support

Postby jimmy on Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:02 pm

luckily
my dick and balls
have always been
a wee bit smalls

so its no thing
i've ever had to think of -aho-

jimmy
Wuji

Re: Athletic Support

Postby Ad_B on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:18 pm

I recently got knee braces following another outoftheblue injury* (this time whilst walking at work, mindfully, enjoying a sense of taiji-correct motility and self-righteuosness also possibly a bit smug....and BANG!....knee just ups and quits just like that. No reason, no pressure, no nothing just "I'm gone!").

Got knee things and they helped bring back a bit of structure, form, strength (indicate what weakness/overkill needs working on) which I found very useful because I have no idea how to be "natural & taiji" without a lot of studying, training and trial&error (who knew 'natural' would be so hard to achieve and maintain) so the knee braces (and ankle braces too) helped quite a bit for this old git.

They helped me to appreciate that quite a lot of my step is actually as much from the hip and knee as in the foot and to serve as a restriction-reminder if I loose my shit and overdo/underdo the motility.

Healthcare professionals have spoken against such things, reminding us that we shouldn't become dependant upon them since that invokes weakness and we cannot argue the point but suffice to hope to exercise those points without the braces too and to try an maintain balance and equilibrium.

I found the extra supports to be very usfull and intend to keep a good supply as I move from old-git to very-old-git.

*Healed very quick thanks to extra standing exercises.
Last edited by Ad_B on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ad_B
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan