how do YOU suspend your head as if from above

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: how do YOU suspend your head as if from above

Postby everything on Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:42 pm

if I think about it, then I sort of "try", then that seems to just put tension in my neck.

if I just mind the rest of the body, it seems to sort itself out better. :P

enjoy all the commentary. very helpful and interesting.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby charlie_cambridge on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi Wayne, completely agree. Depends on the purpose, I can see many elements of Huang's film still being useful for health and many of the other elements of taiji. Where the issuing force is concerned (and where the loosenings teach the body basic necessary components of that) his film does look completely incorrect. Not necessarily harmful, but fairly useless/deliberately incorrect on the aspects of the movements used to develop elastic/issuing Jin. My understanding is giving more martial arts abilities to random people was low in Huang's list of priorities and PK quotes him as saying "Taiji bu shi wu shu" ("taiji is not martial art")

For suspending the head we let the upper body "float" temporarily and stretch down from the lower portion releasing and sinking away first (to keep a long continuous natural stretching of nucal ligament in back of the neck). I.e. the release down the spinal column etc is as if it were a spring, not a stick. (so I think of "suspending" the headtop as not letting it go down immediately when the lower body starts to release down).

wayne hansen wrote:The one thing I do know Huang didn’t go to the trouble of making a film just to trick people
Last edited by charlie_cambridge on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie_cambridge
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:37 pm

Huangs 4th exercise is all about suspending the head top
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby charlie_cambridge on Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:05 am

The last part of the 4th is an obvious reference yes. The shoulder roll also quite clearly emphasizes the fingers as the still point with big opening of the shoulder blade area, which is a big hint that aspects of the 1st and 2nd in the video are not being done correctly/consistently.

Also the whole alignment related to suspending the headtop is a crucial component of the 5th--the obvious emphasis on phases of the lower body but of course upper body has to be aligning correctly too, and the end of the 4th going straight into the 5th helps set that emphasis up too.

But suspending the headtop should also be a key part of all the other loosenings too, and the 1st incorporates that along with a number of other things.

wayne hansen wrote:Huangs 4th exercise is all about suspending the head top
charlie_cambridge
Mingjing

Postby yeniseri on Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:35 pm

Within the context of Western anatomy and physiology, it is nothing more or less tthan what is called postural integrity.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:04 pm

Yes you are right there but I haven’t seen a system in the west which trains it naturally
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:28 am

wayne hansen wrote:Yes you are right there but I haven’t seen a system in the west which trains it naturally

It isn't necessarily a matter of training (though it is involved) but of cultural necessity in the numerous instances of African, Asian and some Arab groups, who through agricultural and other means of manual transportation in their societal matrix.
It a a life and death situation when personal vehicles are non existant. Often, we see the women carrying food, water, etc on their person in a rush to survive in this modern era. A necessity on all points.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:26 pm

I had an ex girlfriend who was a highly trained Indian and Balinese dancer
She would be called on by both Embassy’s to demonstrate
Her training in Bali involved carrying all sorts of things on top of her head in daily life
Her awareness in pushing hands was at a high level
Also in daily life her perception was in amazing
The above post made me think of it
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby KongFuGongFu on Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:21 pm

In the past the most detail I learned for this was "just using a thought" to extend from the base of the skull to bai hui with the chin dropping, while everything else drops, tailbone tucks slightly to hui yin and chin drops to pubic bone, chest sinking. This was okay but I also often found I would get stiff in the neck. Sometimes it was too abstract.

Lately I've been learning to press up from the heels as if resisting pressure from above. This requires getting the leg structure right, using more imagination and intention throughout. Sometimes I find it helpful to press on the bai hui a bit to get the feeling. I find this much more effective at connecting through the body... breathing deep and gradually softening seems to make it all right :). It all seems a bit more clear this way to me.
KongFuGongFu
Santi

Postby Kelley Graham on Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:52 am

I don’t. I support it from below. The result is ‘as if’ suspended from above feeling.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby wiesiek on Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:32 am

how I doin` it before standing:
in riding horse position, arms down - stretch toes and fingers to the max,
sit and relax. (rep. if needed)
This giving extra press impression on the foot and head will "float" like in K.G.`s above post.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 am

ps
today morning, this "set" come to me :
- while standing in horse position
- support (press from the sides) palms on the hips
- "sit" and support it from the feet squeezing them inside, while knees are pressing in reverse direction
- fill up your trunk with the breath (don`t forget about supporting role of the feet), now is easy to feel head like cork floating on a water
- hung head from above (gold thread from bai hui point :) )
- and
imagine pressing down when breathing out

best
wiesiek
Last edited by wiesiek on Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:13 pm

Here's a nifty Aunkai clip. Looks like a reverse engineered San Jiao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fShg13Hm3I
Last edited by greytowhite on Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby robert on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:28 am

greytowhite wrote:Here's a nifty Aunkai clip.

Here's another Aunkai clip regarding lifting the top of the head.

https://youtu.be/EYqVgU3PY44?t=858
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:22 pm

really interesting, thanks a lot. it seems he "took out the slack" and everything was then "connected", "all parts move as one" gives more leverage that his partner cannot see or detect.

I don't remember the move I was doing, learning some bjj, the tip was to basically crawl your fingers along the mat. somehow that gave inexplicable great strength to move the arm. vs. if you tried to only use the arm, it just wouldn't work. move a few fingers, it "magically" worked.

all that said, still not sure i have feeling of the head thing, lol.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan