how do YOU suspend your head as if from above

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: how do YOU suspend your head as if from above

Postby Ad_B on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:11 pm

I wondered if maybe The Zhongli Baduanjin Exercise #The Seventh Section ( Rub hands together. Five times exhale a hah [a guttural deep throat] sound. Interlock the fingers and raise the hands [palms facing upwards] to support the sky, then lower the hands and press the palms against the top of the head. Do this three or nine times. ) in conjunction with some of the others was about raising the head (after the pressure is removed) ?

I use it as such despite finding out that some folks think its a misprint or mistranslation.

Also, re; the ladies with things on their heads and the ballet dancer, I recall young ladies having to balance books on their heads as part of deportment training.

I tried it with the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations in Wuji for 10 minutes, a weighty tome, and you can't really help but raise the head and if you're misaligned structurally, it falls off but there's a definate feeling of the head being raised once the weight is removed.

Thanks for the thread, its interesting as usual and something I'd been neglecting as usual (been doing feet).
Ad_B
Santi

Postby everything on Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:47 pm

Ad_B wrote:Also, re; the ladies with things on their heads and the ballet dancer, I recall young ladies having to balance books on their heads as part of deportment training.

I tried it with the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations in Wuji for 10 minutes, a weighty tome, and you can't really help but raise the head and if you're misaligned structurally, it falls off but there's a definate feeling of the head being raised once the weight is removed.

great idea about the weight then removing it and the feeling after. my head kind of did feel like it "pulled up"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:33 pm

Balancing something on ones head, channeling the weight to the ground, supporting the weight through the frame,
is very different in idea and concept from suspending the head, feeling as if the body is being pulled in the opposite direction.

One deals with compression, connection the other with suspension, looseness, allowing the joints to stretch....

In our work one of the main points is to minimize, the lumbar curve and use what sometimes is refereed to as the "tail" or tail bone ie coccyx
Done in part by understanding how to suspend the head...what it means...

Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan