Force your opponent's one arm to jam his other arm

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Force your opponent's one arm to jam his other arm

Postby johnwang on Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:02 pm

If you can force your opponent's one arm to jam his other arm, you will have 1 free arm while your opponent has no free arms. You can do a lot of things after that.

Will it be more value (or more fun) to develop such skill than to develop "no contact combat"?

Your thought?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Force your opponent's one arm to jam his other arm

Postby origami_itto on Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:53 pm

I love it personally. Whenever they try to act against me i put them in their own way. Then they have to get around themselves to get to me which gives me plenty of time to counter.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:50 pm

I wish we can discuss more principle/strategy subject than to discuss subject that cannot help us in combat such as:

- Whether "no touch combat" is real or not.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:27 am

Sure. This brings to mind a related concept.

When we move, we're usually thinking about the part of our body that we are doing something with. Fist, foot, etc.

But to move through space we have to move our whole body. There are places on your body that have to move through particular points in space to accomplish your "unrelated" movement but that are weak due to position or angle or just plain anatomy.

These points that must move to support the tactical movement but that don't have a lot lot support themselves become control points, either directly or by using the leverage of a limb to target the weak point.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:35 am

"If you can force your opponent's one arm to jam his other arm, you will have 1 free arm while your opponent has no free arms."

This is why you never cross your hands over your own centreline to the other side of the body in Taijiquan. It's too easy for an opponent to take advantage of this. In push hands especially. Have done this mistake myself and got caught. A good opponent will definitely see it and use it.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:18 am

Bao wrote:This is why you never cross your hands over your own centreline to the other side of the body in Taijiquan.

But inside out move such as "cloud hand (outward circles)" is only 1/2 of the case. The other 1/2 is "double inward circles" which will casue your arm to move cross your centerline.

Also when you throw a hook punch, your arm is crossing over your centerline.

When your opponent's left arm cross his own right arm, you have to move your right hand to your left to use his left arm to jam his right arm. You are crossing your right arm over your centerline at that moment.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:01 pm

A static centerline is such an outdated concept, though. Your hand is ALWAYS across your center from some perspective.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:09 pm

The Taiji left/right striking tiger has arm crossed the centerline.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:54 pm

taijiquan has cross hands. in 2-man san shou form, there is a move where you "block" opponent's right arm with your raised left arm, your right arm "crosses centerline" kind of sneaking under, your hands are temporarily "crossed", your right arm drags opponent's right arm in a sort of roll-back, pull down motion. then you pretty much have his back and can do whatever throw or whatever. it may look like they have 1v2, but really you end up having 2v1. essentially it is like Cross Hands to Embrace Tiger, Return to Mountain, but it doesn't have to have that 2nd move. like a wrestling 2 on 1 arm drag - whatever you do after that is up to you. this was easy to do at judo randori against beginner/intermediate students in my opinion/experience. i did this to beginner and black belts (some of whom should really be considered beginners at MA). they are expecting you to "fight" their attempt to "grip". they have no idea what's happening when you appear to kind of wing chun block their reaching arm. it would seem to give no advantage. it's very hard for anybody to notice the R arm kind of sneak under. against "good opponents" who kind of just stand there and give you nothing or know about this, idk.
Last edited by everything on Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:45 pm

Link directly to

The power of Neijiaquan in six directions VS The power line of Chinese wrestling

Might help to understand the concept of line vs circle.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:23 pm

windwalker wrote:

Link directly to

The power of Neijiaquan in six directions VS The power line of Chinese wrestling

Might help to understand the concept of line vs circle.

Could we get a copy in, say, like... Italian?
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:19 pm

;D

Thought it would be easy to see what he's talking about....

JW or another native speaker should they want to can translate the general idea.

another of his clips....with english subtitles

peng jin

Like the teacher and his approach,
helping to bring an understanding to IMA practices...
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:47 pm

Today we worked on applications of brush knee and twist step from yang style. I had A throw a right punch from right bow stance. We practiced mid-level block against the strike from the outside and inside. We then practiced the move we informally call "insert," which I believe is called "carrying the sack" outside. In this position no matter which mid level block one may perform (inside or outside) one may immediately perform brush knee and twist step to defend against the attack and the opponent's arms will become jammed.

We then attempted to perform the technique "rooster sits on fence" or whatever it's called, which is like "insert" but from the top down. It's called something else in Pao Chui, I can't remember (Insert left palm into well?)

Anyways, whenever we tried it, whatever the response would be, if we performed brush knee and twist step it would jam the opponent's arms, in the manner Adam Hsu demonstrates in his push hands video ("My final goal...") time: 4:35 below:

What an interesting result!

I often find that suprising applications come out of push hands and experimentation like this. Just be careful not to apply force but to meditate over Tao te Ching chapter 10, so you do not inadvertently cause damage to your opponent.
Last edited by Appledog on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:23 pm

Appledog wrote:What an interesting result!

I often find that suprising applications come out of push hands and experimentation like this. Just be careful not to apply force but to meditate over Tao te Ching chapter 10, so you do not inadvertently cause damage to your opponent.

Is that Taiji push hands supposed to look like?

If you can damage your opponent just by doing this, your opponent must be very old, weak, and sick.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:40 am

johnwang wrote:If you can force your opponent's one arm to jam his other arm, you will have 1 free arm while your opponent has no free arms. You can do a lot of things after that.

Will it be more value (or more fun) to develop such skill than to develop "no contact combat"?

Your thought?

"No contact" skills have value or fun. Trained fighters may use yin, ting, na, hua without contact then throw on contact. Not using force (contact) to "jam" > using force, Not crossing arms > crossing arms

Extract from "A Force of 1,000 Pounds can be deflected with a Force of Four Ounces:”

Robert Chuckrow in 2010 wrote:According to that law, if there is a force of 1,000 pounds, it must be exerted on something (or somebody) that (or who) exerts 1,000 pounds back. Here, the force that the opponent exerts would be on you, and you of course would exert an equal and opposite force back on him. But the main idea is not to interact with the opponent in a way that can cause injury to yourself. The goal is to exert minimal force on the opponent and not interfere with his motion—only redirecting his attack to clear your body. Using minimal force on the opponent means that you don’t need a lot of strength. It also means that he will, by Newton’s third law, use minimum force on you, which lessens the chance that you will be injured. Not interfering with the opponent’s motion means that he will be more likely to over-extend and lose his balance. Then, he will either fall or pull back. If he pulls back, you can easily push or hit him.

Jam his other arm may be done through no contact distance control and circling.

Eddie Cha wrote:If I already know what you’re going to throw, it’s really easy to counter. Range eliminates the process what they can potentially throw. On top of that if I actually circle to the right, I’m only fighting half a person. I am really sitting on a jab, hook or left leg. If you know what’s coming it’s so much easier to fight somebody.

marvin8 wrote:At Alex Volkanovski vs Korean Zombie, Alex (UFC Featherweight Champion) drills and executes:

1. Starting from outside fighting range, Alex steps right leading Zombie (in orthodox stance) to step left 2. Alex raises lead hand (yin) 3. listens (ting) for Zombie to shift his weight to the back foot (double weight) 4. Alex controls Zombie's rear arm and center with his lead hand (na, hua) 5. then hop steps and issues (fa) left front cut/osoto gari:

Problems with using force:

Thomas Marx - Original Jeet Kune Do IFO
Dec 17, 2022

The best, super, advanced level something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5fhQThug
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan