How to create your own forms

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

How to create your own forms

Postby johnwang on Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:29 pm

I have a lot of fun to create my own forms lately (I have created 4 forms so far). Since I no longer compete in tournament, I try to use form training for health purpose (endurance, balance, flexibity, speed, power generation, ...). In order for me to have strong motivation to train such forms, I have to create some forms that I truly enjoy of doing it.

I may use a traditional form as the base. Pick up a small part that I like. I then add some moves before and after that part. The idea number can be 16 to 20 moves. I try to make sure that I have at least 3 kicks in it. I then make a reverse version of that form. Finally, I link the new form and the new reverse form as one final form (the final form can be 32 to 40 moves).

The advantage of this new form are:

- Have fun to train it.
- Record useful information.
- Different MA systems techniques can be integrated.
- The ratio of punch and kick can be adjusted according to your favor ratio.
- Every move is trained on both sides.

What's your opinion on this approach?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: How to create your own forms

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:32 am

It's a good way to remember to practice everything. I'm working on a kicking form to focus on kicks, just for my own purposes.

Otherwise, I often practice free movement where I link together postures that seem to flow well into each other.
I suppose it's a matter of what the point is. To practice certain techniques, achieve a certain mental state, develop fluid spontaneity.... whatever. What's the point of the "form"
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:23 pm

There is a billion forms out there
No need for any more
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:45 pm

wayne hansen wrote:There is a billion forms out there
No need for any more

Those new forms are not for teaching but for self-training.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:24 am

johnwang wrote:What's your opinion on this approach?

I like the requirement to have at least three kicks (one out of every 10 moves) but maybe four kicks!

One thing I have been doing is breaking down every move into line practice. The challenge here is to find an acceptable and remember-able opening and closing to each move, which also "fits", in a general sense. The simplest way to enter the move.

Usually I find the best way to do so is to add an entering move or a defensive move in front, and then at the end find some way to either follow up the move to return to a neutral move or simply relax back into wuji position and then close feet and bow.

It feels a bit like I imagine Iaido must be, where every move starts form the bow.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:14 am

Don't see much differences in the practices and the standard tam tu

ten step Tan Tui is the muslim version of the set. The Shaolin Monks altered the set to add two additional lines and stramline the training regimen.

Because Wong Jack was affiliated with Ching Wu Association he replaced 10 row tam tui with Ching Wu standard 12 row.

12 row tam tui was developed by Chao Lin Ho who was a Chinese Muslim. 12 row Tam Tui was not practiced or developed by the Shaolin monks.

introduced to me in Korea, by my mantis teacher our mantis line having 10.
He only teaching "me" 8 while mentioning that they had 10 ;D

teacher Brenden Lai, teaching 7* mantis, having 14

Influenced by the Jing Mo,

Law Gwong Yuk created 14 roads based on the Tam Toy (Tantui) structure

In Tibetan White Crane , we had what was called 6 strengths that were taught .

What's different between the practices outlined and tam tui
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:12 am

Can’t see the similarity of 6 strength kune and tam tui
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:27 am

wayne hansen wrote:Can’t see the similarity of 6 strength kune and tam tui

A series of repeated movements done in a line, emphasizing different aspects, developing certain skill sets.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:57 am

windwalker wrote:Don't see much differences in the practices and the standard tam tu

No matter how many times that I may have trained the traditional forms, it's still not my own training. I like to train something that I truly like (not my teacher wants me to do).

In the past 5 months, I walk on the beach 3 miles daily. the first 1 and 1/2 mile on the way over, I like to drill my 12 leg skills 20 times each (12 x 20 = 240) such as: sweep, cut, sickle hook, inner hook, outer hook, scoop, leg lift, leg spring, leg break, leg block, leg twist, hip throw. This way I can remain my balance and flexibility. The 1 and 1/2 mile on the way back, I will drill 4 of my created forms 5 times each (4 x 5 x 40 = 800 moves). It takes me about 1 hour and 50 minutes totally.

I find this is the best self-training for my current age. After I have done this for the past 5 months, I feel that I always have a lot of energy and never feel tired. I feel that I may be in the best physical shape for my last 10 years. So I know this training can give me great benefit.

Before 5 months, I still walked on the beach 3 miles daily (when I'm in California). In those 3 miles walking, I used to drill my 40 3 punches combo 20 times each (40 x 3 x 20 = 2400). The concern that I have is after I have don't 2400 punches, I don't feel I have worked on my felxibility and balance.

It takes me a life time to find out something that I truly like to do daily. Just like to share my pleasant experience here. Everyday when I wake up, I'm looking forward to repeat the same routine again. That's a good sign.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:03 pm

johnwang wrote:It takes me a life time to find out something that I truly like to do daily. Just like to share my pleasant experience here. Everyday when I wake up, I'm looking forward to repeat the same routine again. That's a good sign.

Thanks for sharing, always interesting to see and read others thoughts, even if at times we may disagree..
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:17 pm

Appledog wrote:I like the requirement to have at least three kicks (one out of every 10 moves) but maybe four kicks!

To feel comfortable to do many kicks in the form may depend on how good the form was designed. One of my favor forms that I have created is:

1. Golden rooster stance palm strike.
2. Step in, left hand block and grab.
3. left toes kick, right heel kick (2 kicks).
4. Palm strike to the head.
5. Double hands flip to opponent's face.
6. left toes, right toes kick (2 kicks).
7. Right hook punch.
8. Right back fist.
9. Left side kick (1 kick).
10. Right turn side kick (1 kick).
11. Right hammer fist.
12. Left overhand.
13. Left grab, right hammer fist.
14. Left palm strike.
15. Right elbow strike back.
16. Right elbow strike forward.
17. Double comb hair.
18. Double downward pull.

The 18 moves + reverse 18 moves make a 36 moves form. In this 36 move forms, there are 12 kicks in it. So it's about 3 to 4 kicks for every 10 moves.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:40 pm

Appledog wrote:Usually I find the best way to do so is to add an entering move or a defensive move in front,

All my leg skill training start with entering strategy. This make my training different from the traditional training. For example, instead of just do a traditional arm wrap, I will do a hook punch fist, when my opponent deal with my hook punch, I then wrap his arm. I don't know why the ancient training didn't do that. May be someone tried to hide some secret.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:06 pm

johnwang wrote:
Appledog wrote:Usually I find the best way to do so is to add an entering move or a defensive move in front,

All my leg skill training start with entering strategy. This make my training different from the traditional training. For example, instead of just do a traditional arm wrap, I will do a hook punch fist, when my opponent deal with my hook punch, I then wrap his arm. I don't know why the ancient training didn't do that. May be someone tried to hide some secret.

Another thing you might (already) do is discuss about the transitions between moves. In my opinion the transition should be as simple and direct as possible. Adding too many bells to the transition is sometimes criticized as a fault that occurs over time. For example, in 18 hands there is a move "monk ropes the tiger". This also exists in 20 methods of shaolin whereby the opponent touches your shoulder with his right hand and you place your right hand on it, then wrap the left arm around and press down. The end position looks like a mid-level block. In both 18 hands and 20 methods, there is then performed a slight turn towards the opponent. In both forms it looks like a very odd transition into the next move; for example in 20 methods it looks like turning into a bow stance and then punching (again) with the right hand -- after turning in the incorrect direction! I mean, normally when you punch with the right you turn to the left to put the twist into the punch. Turning to the right and then punching with the right with square shoulders feels like a karate move. But in both cases it appears as if the turn is really a follow up to monk ropes the tiger, allowing you to employ the principle of mercy and toss the opponent out without having to continue the press against his arm.

So I'm just saying transitions should be small and beautiful :)
Appledog
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:25 pm

Appledog wrote:the opponent touches your shoulder with his right hand and you place your right hand on it,

I don't like to train if my opponent does something, I then respond to it. I like to train when I do something, my opponent responds to it, I then respond to his respond. All my training start from I attack first.

This is why I don't like to do push hand with people. I won't allow my opponent to touch my arm. I want to touch my opponent's arm when I want to instead.

My strategy is if my opponent attacks me, I'll jump back. I then jump back in and attck. This way I won't fall into my opponent's trap. I have trained very hard for back jump.

Last edited by johnwang on Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:17 am

I really don't care much about how the different movements are arranged in a form. Forms tend to begin more static in the beginning and more dynamic longer into the forms. There are good reasons why they are arranged in certain ways. If you want to create a form, IMO, it should follow the same traditional rules and patterns.

However, I never practice just to repeat moves. I can practice individual movements or postures as drills, or repeat segments with 2,3 or 5 different moves. But then I try to get better or deepening my understanding so I focus on the quality of movement, as in the level of song, connection, alignment and other things.

If you want to practice more punches or kicks, you can do the same, as drills or put together several punches/strikes and/or kicks in short segments and repeat them. This kind of practice obviously doesn't depend on "style".

But if we speak about Tai Chi, and as in how "Tai Chi form practice" was meant to be practiced and should be practiced, then the physical movements or outer appearance is not what is important. What is important is the internal state of mind and body, first calming and emptying the mind, building up heat in the body, circulating the energy, strengthen that internal flow and keep it flowing. No I am not meaning that you need to develop a certain level of energy or "qi". I just mean something anyone can do and will experience, if you just understand the basic mind-set, basic principles and practice correct.

If you spend all of your time creating forms, or trying to remember movements and patterns, you miss everything that is important with "real" form practice. The individual movements are meant to be forgotten, so you keep movement flowing without interruption, and while keeping your mind empty. This is the "real" Tai Chi practice.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan