Broken energy Taiji

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Broken energy Taiji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:39 pm

Yuen-Ming wrote:This is not “my definition” but one given by Chen Yanlin in the text translated by Brennan.

So broken energy is not you break your own energy. It's someone who breaks your energy.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby robert on Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:51 am

Yuen-Ming wrote:Brendan’s translations, which are quoted above without references, are great at spreading awareness about old texts but should be taken with caution for what specific technicalities concerns. What Brennan renders here as “broken energy” is ‘Duanjin’ 斷勁 which is one of the many Jin/Energies of Taijiquan.
Duanjin is described in various texts and Brennan himself has it rendered as “interrupting Energy” in one of his other translations, probably because that text gives him context.
(https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... en-yanlin/)

Thanks for that. I think it's interesting to note that it's not uncommon for Brennan to translate 勁 (jin) as energy, and he often translates qi as energy as well. Luckily Brennan provides the Chinese so if I'm reading a text and see energy I scan the Chinese to see if it's qi or jin.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby robert on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:06 am

Yuen-Ming wrote:Also, “Shaking Jin/Energy” is another of the various Jin/Energies of Taijiquan, again translated from the same text above for your perusal:

“Beyond these, there is also shaking. While sticking to the opponent’s energy with your own energy, use power from your hips to shake. He will pop up with both feet, which will come down clapping the ground with a sound like slapping a ball. Those who are particularly good at this will issue with extending energy before the opponent comes clapping down, and then once he has been shot away, he will also bounce up and down with several hops. This energy is therefore very subtle.”

Another note on translation. I've been taught how to shake and what is translated here is incorrect, so I looked at the Chinese and it explains it the way I was taught. Again, kudos to Brennan for providing the Chinese text. Here's a fairly literal translation.

卽用腰腿勁抖拍之。
That is, use the yao (waist/lumbar spine) and legs' jin (strength) to shake and slap them.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Yuen-Ming on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:07 am

robert wrote:Thanks for that. I think it's interesting to note that it's not uncommon for Brennan to translate 勁 (jin) as energy, and he often translates qi as energy as well. Luckily Brennan provides the Chinese so if I'm reading a text and see energy I scan the Chinese to see if it's qi or jin.

As I always say we should all be thankful for the precious gift that Brennan is generously giving.

When translating from a different culture there are always areas where a straightforward, single word fails to convey the original meaning and only a scholarly approach - with notes and all that - can bring about clarity. That’s why I tend to use ‘Jin/Energy’ as a fast substitute for a longer “coordinated, trained energy” kind of translation
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan