Practicing in the Elements

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Practicing in the Elements

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:44 pm

Doc Stier wrote:For whatever it's worth, I have trained IMA styles outdoors daily in all kinds of weather during every season of the year for more than half a century to date without any resulting sickness or other ill affects. ymmv

You're living on borrowed time, Doc! 50+ years from now, you're gonna be doing jumping spin kicks in the wind, and all of a sudden, BAM! Dropped dead at the tender age of 136. It's just not worth it.

I'd recommend finding as many excuses as possible to not practice and get fat so you can die of heart disease 5 years from now, instead.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Have you ever thought that if your body is so fragile It may be because of what you are training and the method you use

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:56 pm

Bhassler wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:For whatever it's worth, I have trained IMA styles outdoors daily in all kinds of weather during every season of the year for more than half a century to date without any resulting sickness or other ill affects. ymmv

You're living on borrowed time, Doc! 50+ years from now, you're gonna be doing jumping spin kicks in the wind, and all of a sudden, BAM! Dropped dead at the tender age of 136. It's just not worth it.

I'd recommend finding as many excuses as possible to not practice and get fat so you can die of heart disease 5 years from now, instead.

the ancient tai chi tech will slow aging down,

then the reboot cells tech will intervene some number of times,

then after a few hundred years, we can look like this, AI-enhanced processing unit, cybernetically enhanced "correct tai chi mechanics" to operate pi quan with double hand held laser swords (for reasons)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:57 am

Cold weather does make you more vulnerable to colds and the flu.

New research has found that cold temperatures lower immunity in the nose and make us more susceptible to viruses.
A drop in nasal tissue temperature of just 5° C reduced immune response by almost half.
The findings help explain why we’re more prone to catching colds and flu during winter.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... ld-weather

Something to consider. I like training outside, but I tend to avoid extremes.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 am

My teacher Shifu Zhang Youngliang, 張永良師傅 1920–2020 ,

used to practiced every day winter, spring, summer and fall. He never seemed to change while everything else changed around him…When it rained we would take umbrellas and put them up in the low branches of the trees, so that we could practice in the space below them…At 94 he still made it to the park as often as he could, not as much as before. He passed away at the age of 100,,,a good life...

Regarding "cold"

"He started his martial arts training at age of 5, until 14. His family ran a shoe factory at the time.
Since 14 he joined the family business and needed to ship the handmade soles from Tongzhou to the City.

On the way he had to cross a river on foot and carried his bicycles/soles on his shoulder

The cold water hurt his legs over the years and he had to stop when he was 25.
He began Ba Gua training from his second master by then, and practiced the art for 17 years"

In the winter time, we would sweep away the snow, the ground was very hard....

In the military spent a lot of time training in the cold,,,very cold...
Feel as long was one takes the proper precautions, it should be ok....

Sometimes people make mistakes as one of the other medics in our team did. By not taking off his
Extreme cold weather boots ."mickey mouse boots". We used to call them...

Made from a material that did not allow water vapor to pass through it,,,,
He never took them off.

His sweat froze the boots to his feet, the boots later had to be cut off after soaking in a tub of water slowly bringing them to room temperature.
the frostbite was very bad..His feet would be permanently damaged from it.
He did not lose any toes in the process.

happens
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am

Bhassler wrote:

I'll take a hard pass on that advice, thank you very much. LoL ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 pm

Living in sunny Queensland cold is not a factor
When I trained in Sydney in winter I would go to the park rugged up before dawn
As I trained I removed things as my body warmed
At the end I was down to shorts and t shirt sox and shoes
That was how I dressed for the rest of the day
I called it setting the thermostat to the days energy
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:12 pm

WHen I do normal activity (taijiquan, yangsheng stuff, etc) I amke sure I dress 'properly.
The caveat is that my body is not sufficiently warm enough or hasn't warmed up enough in these low to medium intensity activities so I am dressed conservatively.
As a former Marine stationed in New Orleans (NSA-Algiers) I would frequently remove my running T shirt and run barechested in 20-30degree weather because I would be heating up so fast on 10 mile runs that
I ended up ditching the shirt. As my body began to cool then I would put it back on but it was usually at the end of the run and the heat diminished. If I left the shirt off, then "cold" and "wind" would have
entered my body to induce stagnation and blockage (relative terms here) and made my day a nightmare, to say the least.

Whatever one's common sense is, it pays to watch what is happenning within the body and outside to determine a plan of action!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:06 am

wayne hansen wrote:Have you ever thought that if your body is so fragile It may be because of what you are training and the method you use

Something that occurred to me here is the greater sensitivity we can develop.

Specifically I'm thinking of "Autobiography of a Yogi" where he recounts being sick for several days upon landing in America and tracing it back to the canned pineapple juice someone served him.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:24 pm

Bhassler wrote:

Interesting -- I would have expected someone like you or especially wayne to know better. Doc is right though, ymmv, I guess.

But, you only have so much energy in your body and when it is gone it is gone.

This is actually a big clue, if you are attuned to your body to this degree. How are you going to get yun qi and understand double weighted if you are so out of touch with your body you do not understand cold wind is like an arrow? You were, or should have been, warned about things like cold food and cold drinks as well. Or did your teacher not tell you these things?
Appledog
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:36 am

to quote an oft-repeated Norwegian proverb, there's no bad weather just bad clothing. I generally train outside when possible for the fresh air etc. unless there is something dangerous coming out of the sky
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:18 pm

I have a little training in TCM and do understand how cold can attack the body
I also understand how heating and air conditioning and inappropriate food can attack the body in more subtle ways
Using these things as training partners can strengthen the body and extend the life
The concept of a certain number of breaths then the life expires is just a métaphore rather than a fact
So many factors can shorten the life span like following false masters altering methods and getting hit by a bus
Immortality is not living forever but neither being attached to life or death
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:44 am

wayne hansen wrote:Living in sunny Queensland cold is not a factor
When I trained in Sydney in winter I would go to the park rugged up before dawn
As I trained I removed things as my body warmed
At the end I was down to shorts and t shirt sox and shoes
That was how I dressed for the rest of the day
I called it setting the thermostat to the days energy

Funny you mention. I jumped in the cold ocean yesterday morning, afterwards I was warm all day even when the heat was off in the house.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:06 pm

For the last few years I have been jumping into the swimming pool first thing each day and staying there doing noi gung
It changed about six months back when I got two house guests and I had to work around them each morning
I was just thinking I had to get back to my old habits before winter
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:45 pm

don't think i can practice in severe elements, but as a kid/teen/early adult i had cold hands/feet. now, i guess i probably have warm hands/feet. even after losing cardio ability (resting hr etc.) after a year away from sports to rehab, seems like it's still true. probably from taijiquan and/or mild weight work (KB stuff). could be just wearing the right amount of layers, lol.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan