historical accounts

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: historical accounts

Postby Bhassler on Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:34 pm

everything wrote:OTOH, somebody actually taught Jordan, Messi, etc. something. Who was it? Not really sure. It could have been a person named "Chen" or whatever. It doesn't matter at all, really. Because Jordan and Messi far far far exceeded that person or people's level. You cannot "teach" music to Mozart or Lennon and McCartney. It doesn't happen. You just let the Universe flow through them and express genius and try to comprehend it. But ordinary humans cannot even comprehend trying to play basketball with an NBA player, let alone a Jordan or a LeBron. We really would not be able to comprehend it. So many commentators including ex-ballers are just astounded by Messi. So the Yang Chen thing - makes absolutely zero sense to me (aside from marketing and lineage stuff) if YLC was really the top of the top. It's just not a thing we should talk about. AT ALL. We talk about Jordan and we talk about Messi. Period. It should be clear why. If anything, instead of exaggerating Messi, we should really talk about how these people's level is incomprehensible. We should probably talk about how there's no reasonable way we can probably contemplate how good a Yang really was. Why people said the things they said. The only possible way we can start to understand is by realizing we cannot comprehend Messi or Jordan or even Mike Tyson. I think for some reason on the rsf and the internet, ordinary humans talk as if we really understand. I think we have absolutely zero clue how good Yang must've been. If he's anywhere close to these athletes at the top, it would of course be incomprehensible when he throws you. You just wouldn't get it even though you are also a "top pro". Even if you are a rock star, you don't understand Lennon & McCartney. That is the level we have to assume and then we try to talk from there. But that's impossible. We don't say "oh I play some basketball or some music and acquired a lot of skill; let me try to explain genius." It will fall short. When some lineage descendent of YLC teaches you something and you are impressed, you kind of have to assume it's like Jordan's great grandchild taught you something about basketball, but it's not even close to the real genius level.

The problem is that literally every style has their version of the Jordan story. It's like if you got rid of all video evidence of basketball and started a colony on the moon. People would play and talk about Jordan, but also Bird, and Kobe, and LeBron, and then Barkely, and Rodman, and Stockton, and Malone, and Muggsy Bogues, and Spud Web, and Mutombo, and everyone else. Pretty soon, someone would bring up the legends from Canal Street and Rucker Park, and say they were better than any of those guys. But through all the talk, there would still only be one Michael Jordan, and no one living on the moon would have any way of telling the difference. The stories of great martial artists are as much or more cultural artifacts as they are any kind of history. If everyone is great, then all that means is that no one is.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:02 pm

yeah, think that's so true, but it sounds like out of all those top guys in the Imperial and Beijing circles, certain names got brought up again and again across styles. here I need the people with actual historical knowledge to verify. do we know who was an MJ or LeBron of that small circle? Or do we only know there were dozens of big names everyone talked about?

I mean, I guess that's still something, like your basketball list. Or the same way people try hard to rate lb for lb boxers across generations. We "know" there was Pele, Maradona, there is Messi. There is a pretty clear top 3 if you were to ask 100 experts or 1 billion casual fans, but of course we have so much video and stats. We don't really "know" where Yang Luchan fits with Georges St. Pierre, Fedor, Anderson Silva, etc. (if everyone could have a massive theoretical mma rules match). Heck we would argue about GSP, Fedor, Silva, etc. in just one generation. But we "should" know some stuff about that era, though, and maybe who 1-2 generations considered a top 5 or 10 on their hypothetical list. Assuming Yang is one, then we could wildly speculate if Yang would make an all time lb4lb list of some hypothetical sort.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:18 pm

The "Yang" family among other martial families are very careful regarding official representatives of their practices.
One might ask if what they practice is really "Yang's" style or not if they'er not affiliated with any of the family organizations.

Things have changed but they really have not! Yang never gave up the name of where he learned taijiquan because when Chen arrived in Beijing, Yang was already there.
Additionally, many thought that Chen style was the copycat or at best, a mis-representation of the observed art called Yang style per Yang Luchan.

Fast forward to the 1960s in USA, where Yang style was popular to the extent that many people, not knowing the history, even today say that is real taijiquan and I frequently
have to curb my responses when I have given presentations on taijiquan, people say I am making stuff up when they are the ones at fault for not knowing. At times, I felt like a live person at a cannibal picnic ;D

Sophia Delza's group was a small one and many dancers had anawareness of tai chi but the general public did not know she predated Zheng Manqing along with a few Chinatown teachers who taught way before Bruce Lee.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:31 pm

it's exceptionally confusing to sort out.

where i think the basketball analogy really breaks down is "internal" is much more difficult and obscure than learning an immensely popular sport with widespread expertise and commentary, fanbase, etc. even on here, presumably with moderate-at-least experts with real interest in MA, nobody seems to agree. some teachers will genuinely believe they got "something" without realizing perhaps not. it seems far, far safer to assume the answer is probably not, even if you sparred with Fedor and thought you did ok. just statistically speaking, it would be ludicrously unlikely. but everybody claims they know.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan