Top 7 Metrics for Martial Arts and Fitness Enthusiasts

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Top 7 Metrics for Martial Arts and Fitness Enthusiasts

Postby ashe on Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:35 pm

Get Fit and Fight Like a Pro: The Metrics Every Martial Arts and Fitness Enthusiast Needs

https://www.fallingleaveskungfu.com/2023/03/martial-arts-and-fitness/
Last edited by ashe on Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Re: Top 7 Metrics for Martial Arts and Fitness Enthusiasts

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:01 am

Hi, Ashe! That was a good read. Thanks for sharing it. :)

I found this valuable not only as an excellent summation of fundamental concepts and training goals, but also as a useful comparative measure in validating the effectiveness of my own daily training regimen in meeting and maintaining those fitness goals.

Although many of the methods and exercises I practice are different than those described in the article, I am pleased that the perpetual results are the same. It's all good! 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:00 am

good read. I liked the 'tests of strength' at the bottom as well, nice and simple (though I think I would be in pain finishing 2 miles in 12 minutes... will try it sometime soon and see how I get on)
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby ashe on Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:47 am

vadaga wrote:good read. I liked the 'tests of strength' at the bottom as well, nice and simple (though I think I would be in pain finishing 2 miles in 12 minutes... will try it sometime soon and see how I get on)

If I'm going to run anything over .5m I have to work up to it over a few weeks, or my knees and lower back will be barking at me.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:57 am

I can think of some peoples teachers who can’t meet these metrics
Are they on no use
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:52 am

Good question Wayne. I would say there is a set of things to talk about

1. teacher able to teach
2. teacher able to fight
3. student able to fight

for me, as long as 1 and particularly 3 are satisfied, 2 is not so important

This sets apart the whole 'mental cultivation' and health aspects of training but we could think similarly about them.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:33 am

vadaga wrote:Good question Wayne. I would say there is a set of things to talk about

1. teacher able to teach
2. teacher able to fight
3. student able to fight

for me, as long as 1 and particularly 3 are satisfied, 2 is not so important

This sets apart the whole 'mental cultivation' and health aspects of training but we could think similarly about them.

agree,

Look at "martial art" coaches / teachers as the same as those in boxing...
although culturally, and historically martial art teachers in China were not regarded as the same...
In China there is a category called folk teachers typically referred to as "masters, who have a deep knowledge of the history, philosophy, and techniques of their specific martial art, often becoming respected members of their local community.

They may or may not produce known students of their respective methods but are known
locally as the best people to gain either skill sets or knowledge of specific methods

in Boxing

Cus D'Amato, Eddie Futch, Emanuel Steward

all produced famous fighters, in each case none where professional fighters themselves.
They demonstrated the essence of the craft, through those they helped to develop
into fighters later on becoming quite famous...
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:44 am

Had a thought today that made me laugh.

We talk about Tai Chi, Xing Yi, Bagua as martial arts.

Anyone ever came up with 10 Commandments Boxing, Holy Spirit Fighting or Jesus Christs Forgiving Redemption? Or Divine Trinity Method?

Or Abrahamic Fighting? Or Fist of Muhammad?

Funny how we can just cut out Chinese terms from their entire context they're embedded in and treat them like nothing special.

2 method boxing
5 method boxing
8 method boxing
Meh

RIP in Peace Mikhail Ryabko, he recently died
Quigga

Postby everything on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:47 am

for the vertical, kneesovertoesguy stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIngqODw8x4 is probably one of the ways to achieve (he got to 30" vertical with no pain, starting from bad knees).

for the 2 miles in 12 minutes, an ex-pro footballer (soccer-er) i know told me his whole team had to do that as their standard, and after they already did practice.

the above are for "high level athletes" probably in their age prime. not sure what it translates to for "enthusiasts" who are ahem, a bit older. going to hit that running or vertical standard def isn't on my list. my "cartilage hurts" thinking about doing that.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:07 am

Here's a set of standards that might be more "reasonable":
https://www.t-nation.com/training/10-th ... ble-to-do/

And here's more detail for those who would want to set some concrete strength goals for themselves:
https://medium.com/@danjohn84123/streng ... 7e58cb69c4
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:35 am

seems good. i have a biceps tendon issue for the main lifts (bench, deadlift, squat) but those other 8 seem quite reasonable. I'd guess everyone here would exceed the single leg balance and body weight squat quite easily. probably the sit down one as well.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 am

everything wrote:for the vertical, kneesovertoesguy stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIngqODw8x4 is probably one of the ways to achieve (he got to 30" vertical with no pain, starting from bad knees).

for the 2 miles in 12 minutes, an ex-pro footballer (soccer-er) i know told me his whole team had to do that as their standard, and after they already did practice.

the above are for "high level athletes" probably in their age prime. not sure what it translates to for "enthusiasts" who are ahem, a bit older. going to hit that running or vertical standard def isn't on my list. my "cartilage hurts" thinking about doing that.

I have a goal this year to run a 5 minute mile at least once (a marathon runner friend tries to do this once per year)- it's a 3:06 1k split time... I could do it back in high school when I ran track but that was many moons ago. 12 mins for 2 miles is 3:44/km... I have logged myself with a 3:50 split recently at not 100% so it seems doable with a bit of training
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu May 04, 2023 3:02 pm

Is he fit, would he be able to pass the top 7 metrics for martial arts...?

Did he need to :P

knockouts

I'm betting that all the guys he knocked out, probably could pass the top 7 metrics for martial artis. :P
Last edited by windwalker on Thu May 04, 2023 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan