Damo Mitchell: Tai Chi does not use the meridians

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Damo Mitchell: Tai Chi does not use the meridians

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:38 am

Doc Stier wrote:
However, the names used to identify these training methods has never been as relevant as the results of the training regimen. So, call them what you will, but make sure that you're capable of personally demonstrating the fruits of your efforts for all to see, rather than wasting time debating the labels. ::)

Who would it be relevant to. Those meeting and training with the teachers or
those viewing something that may not fit into their own view or experience.

Never seeming to have their own clips for "all to see"

;D

It is interesting ... :)
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:43 am

I'm in agreement with Ian on this one. For all practical purposes energy work of any kind is qigong. I'm paraphrasing here, but as Chairman Mao said, "black cat, white cat, if it catches mice, it is a good cat." Or something to that effect.

Bao does have a point regarding how doctrine, and philosophy, make a difference in how things are interpreted.

As an observation, this is why martial artists are generally better at the meditative process. They have simply trained the body. By training the ligaments, tendons and fasciae tissue energy moves through the body more efficiently and their qi gong is traditionally stronger. People tend to forget that the Buddha was warrior class initially and he would have had a bunch of this kind of training as a child at a minimum.

Regarding Damo Mitchell, not a huge fan, he definitely has a specific ideology regarding how he approaches things.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:28 am

-shrug-
windwalker wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:
However, the names used to identify these training methods has never been as relevant as the results of the training regimen. So, call them what you will, but make sure that you're capable of personally demonstrating the fruits of your efforts for all to see, rather than wasting time debating the labels. ::)

;D

The results of the training should be relevant to you personally, regardless of who the teacher is or how you choose to label what you're doing. Why be concerned about the opinions of others.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:35 am

Doc Stier wrote:The results of the training should be relevant to you personally, regardless of who the teacher is or how you choose to label what you're doing. Why be concerned about the opinions of others.

;D

On this site

Where what seems to be the main concern, finding selected videos of things, mocking them, while never posting any of their own work.

You’re asking why?
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:36 am

Peacedog wrote:I'm paraphrasing here, but as Chairman Mao said, "black cat, white cat, if it catches mice, it is a good cat." Or something to that effect.

No, Deng Xiaoping, something he said in the 1960s. But the quote was almost perfect: "Black cat or white cat, if it can catch mice, it's a good cat"

It was used in the late 1980s and marks the start of Chinese capitalism. Everyone interpreted it as any way you can earn money is good. Legally, illegally, bribes... As long as you get money it's good. So people started to collect money in any manner they could. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:44 am

-shrug-
windwalker wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:

;D

The results of the training should be relevant to you personally, regardless of who the teacher is or how you choose to label what you're doing. Why be concerned about the opinions of others, especially people online with whom we have no contact in the real world outside of cyberspace? -shrug-

Speaking solely for myself, I demonstrate the results of my long-term training regimen "for all to see" daily among the people I interact with.

Again, I have nothing to sell or promote online which would necessitate producing and posting videos. More power and great success to those who do, but that's not me.

However, I'm always open to meeting with anyone live and in person, and would be happy to learn whatever they may wish to teach me. 8-)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:17 pm

Doc Stier wrote:The results of the training should be relevant to you personally, regardless of who the teacher is or how you choose to label what you're doing. Why be concerned about the opinions of others, especially people online with whom we have no contact in the real world outside of cyberspace? -shrug-

Speaking solely for myself, I demonstrate the results of my long-term training regimen "for all to see" daily among the people I interact with.

As do many of the teachers for those students who interact with them..
What often happens here, the students themselves are called into question

Adam Minzer comes to mind ;D o

Again, I have nothing to sell or promote online which would necessitate producing and posting videos.
More power and great success to those who do, but that's not me.

The teachers who's videos often get posted here,,,In most cases they'er informative for those who follow their practice
some have online practices .

Of those that most mock they'er not the ones posting their clips here

However, I'm always open to meeting with anyone live and in person, and would be happy to learn whatever they may wish to teach me. 8-)

Most people are,,,

however according to some it might pollute their training
gotta be carful ... :)
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:16 pm

Why are you concerned with what I say windy
I didn’t post the clip of you or anyone else doing this sort of stuff
Why would I
I haven’t been filmed since 1986 and feel no need
I have been teaching openly since 1975 and never refused a challenge
Having taught for many years in Sydney’s Chinatown there were many challenges
At 72 I find no need to do that
You seem to be hung up on my word pollution
I am just trying to warn others that working with a lot of people is not pleasent or benificial
I don’t say these things for you but for others who might follow false paths and waste valuable time and energy
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:00 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Why are you concerned with what I say windy
I didn’t post the clip of you or anyone else doing this sort of stuff
Why would I
I haven’t been filmed since 1986 and feel no need

I have been teaching openly since 1975 and never refused a challenge
Having taught for many years in Sydney’s Chinatown there were many challenges
At 72 I find no need to do that

You seem to be hung up on my word pollution

I am just trying to warn others that working with a lot of people is not pleasent or benificial
I don’t say these things for you but for others who might follow false paths and waste valuable time and energy

No one is hung up on your choice of verbiage,,,
Thought it was funny ;D

As to your post

All it means is your a little old as some are, as I am...

Have worked with others all over Asia.
Korea, Taiwan, China, Thailand, Singapore ect.

Consider myself a taiji practitioner claiming no deep skill.
Can say of those I've worked with some had very deep skill
who I called teacher..

Those I work with now label me teacher.

"challenges" ok ;D

Things can get a little rough at times...
always interesting
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:56 pm

Peacedog wrote:I'm in agreement with Ian on this one. For all practical purposes energy work of any kind is qigong. I'm paraphrasing here, but as Chairman Mao said, "black cat, white cat, if it catches mice, it is a good cat." Or something to that effect.

Bao does have a point regarding how doctrine, and philosophy, make a difference in how things are interpreted.

As an observation, this is why martial artists are generally better at the meditative process. They have simply trained the body. By training the ligaments, tendons and fasciae tissue energy moves through the body more efficiently and their qi gong is traditionally stronger. People tend to forget that the Buddha was warrior class initially and he would have had a bunch of this kind of training as a child at a minimum.

Regarding Damo Mitchell, not a huge fan, he definitely has a specific ideology regarding how he approaches things.

Don't quite understand the basic premise, hasn't been my experience although the reasons why certain meridians are mentioned or not depends on the purpose for the practice.

Jin Yuan is the origin of the inner strength of the feet. There are two Jin Yuans in the human body. One is located in the middle of the line connecting the lower corners of the shoulder blades on the back. The other appears in the middle finger root slightly above the palm when the internal strength reaches a higher level, which is called "Jin Yuan Shang Shou" by the master.

When practicing martial arts, the Jin Yuan on the back is the place where the inner strength of the whole body is dispersed. The internal strength required for each punch must be emitted from the Jin Yuan and transmitted to both hands through the upper or lower lines of the back. The application of Jin Yuan is very moderate. When the punch is needed, the corresponding internal strength will be emitted from the Jin Yuan towards the target point. When the internal strength reaches the predetermined target point, the Jin Yuan will immediately become empty, which is called "one emptiness after transmission" by the predecessors.

The transformation and conversion of various internal strengths also need to be achieved by the exchange of Jin Yuan. For example, when the internal strength of the four directions changes to the internal strength of the four yangs, as long as the cross mark in the Jin Yuan behind the back is turned, the body can be emptied without any change, which is called "Zheng Yang Xiang Hua" (Figure 19). After achieving a deep level of skill, the function of the Jin Yuan in the hand is the same as that in the back.

Note: The Jin Yuan in the hand and the back cannot be applied at the same time. When using the Jin Yuan in the hand after achieving a deep level of skill, its speed and power are faster than the movements of the limbs, which is called "seeking the target point by connecting the hands".

From Wei Shurwen's line..

Ben Lo, also aligned certain points using meridians as landmarks..

As to whether taiji is or is not a "type" of qi gong....
I would say depends on the focus of the practice...as to whether it's viewed as "qi gong" practice or used indirectly as part of the practice
thought to enhance certain aspects related to practices that are said to be internal by nature....

For those I work with wanting a qi-gong or mediative practice, always recommend them to
others who specialize or focus on those aspects..

I believe Robert Smith, once noted in his writing's about CMC
that he was doted all over his body to show different "points" used in point hitting....

Having to take a picture of it before it was rubbed off by CMC using them to illustrate the points to him.

Could be wrong, read it someplace long ago....
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:27 pm

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Tomato potato, you're being pedantic for the sake of having a hill to die on.

The point is that whatever you call it, you're doing energy work.
If we want to split hairs the venn gets stupid, so what's the point?

You are just being silly and unnecessarily confrontative.

It's entirely possiblewe're just being cranky. We flew halfway across the country and drove back over 48 hours with about four hours of actual sleep.
We're running on pure rage, man.
No it's not about being pedantic, it's about what kind of energy work and the purpose of what you are doing. Not all different kind of energy work, types of movements and exercises are compatible. If you have respect for what you are doing, you don't just mix stuff together, you study something, learn about it carefully before you bring in something else to your practice, or before you start mixing something together.

The exercise is what's important, not the name. We've seen so many different kinds of qigong that work on the body in various ways.
W, personally, don't care what you call it. Show us how to do it so we can play with it and that's good enough.
But also, I am aware that learned gentlemen of letters have stabbed each other and/or lived bitterly for decades over questions of taxonomy in virtually any discipline, so I understand the impulse.

It's about attitude and respect for what you are doing, as well as understanding your own goals and focus. Many people who combine their IMA practice with qigong, or other TCMA don't understand what they are doing. They are unfocused, wasting time and energy. They prolong their path or by their own actions, make sure they will never achieve their goals. Some people would even warn about different types of "qi-diseases", when mixing types of internal practices, but I myself won't go so far.
(But still, doing some things wrong, practice some types of exercises too much and similar, might affect things as your mood and sense of well-being in a negative manner)

Okay, no, yeah, THIS is what I was responding to in anger. The arrogance.
The Dong family stewards, practices, and teaches a rich body of qigong practices along with their various forms. I'm sure they would just laugh if you told them it wasn't Taijiquan.

What IS taijiquan? What IS neigong? We have these names and these methods, but ultimately they are about the cultivation of a particular end. Your methods and results may vary. Even if we are pedantic about the naming of gong, how can you say that taijiquan contains no qigong? Point to taijiquan? Where does it start and end? Is it the form and everything else just other stuff tacked on to serve the form?

It's a lab, it's a kitchen, can you smell what the Sifu's cookin? The neigong, the qigong, the yilu the erlu the taolu, they are all just means to the end of cultivation. Okay so you don't like pepper in your soup. I do. Therefore for me, soup contains pepper.
If your soup does not contain pepper it has no bearing on the pepper in my own. You don't get to define soup for everyone.
We move energy through meridians to cultivate it. Call it what you like, it doesn't change a thing.

Affecting meridians generally or indirectly as with Tai Chi, or directly with specific methods designed to affect a specific organ in a specific way, are two entirely different things. If you understand it or not, all types of internal cultivation are still not the same.

Edit: Some qigong methods are designed to increase the body's Yang, others will make your body more yin. If you have different types of diseases, the first type of practice might be better for your condition, the other might make it worse. This means that you should be careful about practicing medical qigong.

Tai Chi has the benefit that it will regulate and balance the body's yin and yang, not making it either too much yang or yin (if you practice correctly).

Desined to increase yang and yin don't seem very useful descriptions to me. There is far more subtlety and variation in the exercises in my experience. You know it can energize the discussion to disagree but at the end of the day I believe your point is an artificial distinction that serves no purpose.

It's like those amateur langauge sleuths (or Jordan Petersons) who think that because a word comes from a latin root the meaning of that root trumps the word's modern usage.

Language is fluid and flexible, and no matter how nerd patrol you want to get about assigning immutable categories, the fact is that culturally and practically among the body of practioners of these arts in China and around the world, Qigong is a much more general term than you are allowing for.

Where it is important to draw distinctions, the various systems are usually tagged with descriptions. Health qigong, conditioning qigong, whatever. I don't care about that. Just show me what works.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Mrwawa on Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:20 am

I'm not a taijiquan historian, but it seems like the origin of tjq is with farmers, soldiers, bodyguards etc. Not with doctors or mystics. It's probably the case that tjq and the precursor of Qigong developed under the same philosophical umbrella, but weren't necessarily connected. Only later were Qigong exercises retrofit onto tjq.

For example, it seems Feng Zhiqiang brought Qigong exercises into tjq through experience with Hubyaozhen. Chen fake seemed to be focused on the martial aspects. People can correct me if I am wrong.
Mrwawa
Santi

Postby everything on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:32 am

most of the instructions from various masters of IMA start with

"first sink qi to the dantian".

not sure I care either what is called what after that. if there is a nuance of how things work after steps 1 and 2 (still a beginner .... ) would like to know, though, of course
Last edited by everything on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:44 am

Can anybody descript from their own experience and feeling how the Qi moves along the path from martial arts prospective? Does it match the description of Meridian on doing Qi Qong or TCM? Does it move up from the back and down from the front, up from the front and down from the back, or up and down from the middle? The answer I get from asking this question is always "You are not there yet".
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:40 am

suckinlhbf wrote:Can anybody descript from their own experience and feeling how the Qi moves along the path from martial arts prospective? Does it match the description of Meridian on doing Qi Qong or TCM? Does it move up from the back and down from the front, up from the front and down from the back, or up and down from the middle? The answer I get from asking this question is always "You are not there yet".

It starts in the feet, is directed by the waist, and manifests in the fingers. Like a wave along a spiral path. Up the inner leg channel, up the spine, to the palm on the outside of the arm channel.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan