Albert Liu performing Liu He Ba Fa in San Francisco, 2001

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Albert Liu performing Liu He Ba Fa in San Francisco, 2001

Postby JessOBrien on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:30 pm

Hi all, many of you supported my efforts when I published a book of interviews called Nei Jia Quan back in 2002. It was a lot of fun to create. I've been digging through old boxes and publishing out-takes and pictures and notes from the process over on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/neijiaquanbook/

My friend Eric Nomberg took a ton of pictures for the book. Here are some he took of Chinese martial arts expert Albert Liu in San Francisco back around 2001.

I've also included some clippings from Dr. Ken Fish's article in Pa Kua Chang Journal back in 1992, as well as Mr. Liu's biography from his translation of Sun Lu Tang's "Xing Yi Quan Xue" in 1993.

I visited his class repeatedly, but I regret that I was unable to get Mr. Liu to agree to an interview. I regret even more that I didn't drop everything and dedicate myself to training his extensive repertoire of Internal Martial Arts systems- he began with Wu/Hao style Taijiquan, followed by training in Wu Jian Quan's Taijiquan, then on to Liu He Ba Fa and more. He learned from a generation now long lost. And he had a ton of fascinating stories from early 20th century China. His father had also trained in Chinese martial arts prior to the Japanese invasion and guided him in his studies.

I've been unable to dig up a trace of him since I last visited his class. I just hope he is living well and continuing to train his beloved arts. If anyone knows of him or his students whereabouts, please do let me know.

-Jess O

JessOBrien
Great Old One

Re: Albert Liu performing Liu He Ba Fa in San Francisco, 2001

Postby JessOBrien on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:32 pm

JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:35 pm

JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:53 pm

He certainly seems to have studied some of the rarer branches of internal arts (Hao style tcc, bagua taiji and Liuhe Bafa)! Any idea from whom or where he learnt his Liuhe Bafa?

I take it his wife Jane Yao is no longer based in San Francisco then?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:54 am

I only met Mr. Liu in passing at CMA tournament events during the 1980's and 1990's, but I have fond memories of numerous conversations with Jane Yao at these events. She was always very kind and gracious, and loved holding my babies, who are now grown and have their own babies. 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:33 am

From the article he wrote for Nei Jia Quan, it appears Mr. Liu learned the "Water Set" from Li Dao Li in the 1970's in Shanghai.

JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:12 am

Jesse

Appreciate your work & effort and enjoyed the time you spent at our old school working on the article you included on Tony Yang
Bob
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:34 pm

Hi Marvin, Way to go! That must be him. Thanks for digging that up.

Hi Bob, Good to hear from you! I definitely enjoyed visiting Mr. Yang's classes, the Wu Tan system has so much to offer. Is he still teaching in the Akron area? Are you still keeping up with your practice? I get in some bagua every morning and recently have been doing some southern Chinese martial arts as well. Take care!

Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:33 pm

Jess:

"Retired" from the Wutan scene about 6 years back - family caretaking responsibilities - Master Yang (Tony) resides with his family in Las Vegas - some of his students still continue to teach and he visits once or twice a year.

I continue to practice on a daily basis but only do a few things that I like (taijiquan, xing yi, liu he duan chui and bagua along with neigong and da qiang training).

If you are in the area on a visit let me know and we will do lunch or a dinner.

Stay well.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:05 am

Hi Jesse! Thank you for posting the pictures - great to see them. I too have wondered what became of Albert and Jane ...I know that they separated in the early 2000's, but haven't been able to learn of their whereabouts or disposition. I hope all is well with you.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:01 pm

Hi Dr. Fish,

Thanks for the reply. I really enjoyed your articles in the PKCJ back in the day. It's what led me to meeting Albert Liu, who was a very inspiring guy.

In the original article in PKCJ you mentioned that you had planned a follow up article about the art of Tai Chi Ba Gua. Any chance you'll have time to put that together all these years later? I'm sure you are as busy as ever, but it sure would be fun to revisit the topic and learn more about it.

Do let us know here if you've got any new articles or projects in the works!

Take care,
Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Thu May 04, 2023 10:38 am

New interview with Dr. Fish! It's a good listen. And when is that autobiography gonna come out? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEX5ED0Ek5Q
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri May 05, 2023 3:55 pm

Didn't agree with the interview regarding the dichotomy between internal and external...

Aside from that, interesting view point...
Last edited by windwalker on Fri May 05, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Fri May 05, 2023 4:07 pm

JessOBrien wrote:Image

I admire this posture!
Appledog
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan