The highest of hands

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The highest of hands

Postby Pennykid on Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:07 pm

Charlie, which student of Patrick Kelly are you learning from? He sounds like he's very good.

Are any of his top students getting close to his skills?
Pennykid
Anjing

Postby charlie_cambridge on Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:46 pm

Hi Pennykid,

The example person was Patrick Kelly himself who I try to visit at least once a year now.

And in US I train with his student Tim Suh in Chicago. Also have Guillem Bernado (who ran PK's school in Shanghai during Covid) visiting once or twice a year to US before Covid and hopefully resuming again soon. Tim and Guillem taught a bit over zoom during covid too, that's ended but Guillem still has online resources at taijistream.com including free intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_51xRJfQ7Xo

I would say his top students have a fairly clear picture of his method (even his not so top students get a pretty clear picture of what we're supposed to do), a few of his students feel "unusual" or just very sensitive and smooth, but usually I did not spend enough time (100+ different people in the room and we rotate through exercises) to experience the full depth of what they could or could not do (we train very specific exercises so I just experienced their skill in context of specific exercise we were doing).

Like any school of course a small handful are more experienced and much deeper than average.

PS: I saw your profile NZ HXX taiji, are you a student of WD or RL? I saw met WD in person first time last August.
Also CS from Austria is doing first US workshop in Chicago next wknd and I'll be there.
Last edited by charlie_cambridge on Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charlie_cambridge
Mingjing

Postby Pennykid on Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:26 am

I don't know who WD or RL are. I practice in Yek Sing Ong's branch under Mike Kinney.
Last edited by Pennykid on Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pennykid
Anjing

Postby charlie_cambridge on Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:43 am

Wayne Duncan and Rob Lindsay, two of PK's students in NZ.

Some of PK's most senior students are in EU, esp. France, Belgium, Austria Italy etc...

Pennykid wrote:I don't know who WD or RL are. I practice in Yek Sing Ong's branch under Mike Kinney.
charlie_cambridge
Mingjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan