What do you think about this form performance?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

What do you think about this form performance?

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:51 pm

I just find a form performance that I like. When I watch this video, it makes me to feel

- young,
- health, and
- strong.

What's your opinion on this form performance?

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: What do you think about this form performance?

Postby Appledog on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:23 pm

johnwang wrote:What's your opinion on this form performance?

The more I look at it the less I have to say. I looked a bunch of other similar performances on Youtube and comparatively it looks like one of the best. I could try and make some constructive comments, such as in some stances or kicks the legs do not seem straight -- In Li Mao Ching's performance, for example, there seems to be a little snap, or extension, to the kicks (for example) and less forward leaning. Or during kicks, I would look at the motion of the heel or the angle of the knee. But I couldn't see any major issues, its hard to see in this video. Focusing on what I like about the performance, I like the outward expansiveness of the arms. It seems pretty alive.

As an example of how my eyes initially deceived me, it looked as if he wasn't light enough at first. Then when I saw many others performing this form it seemed as if they were slower and heavier, but this one was faster and lighter.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:28 pm

Hi, John! I like his performance, too. Crisp and clean, with fast, fluid changes and no stops or pauses. 8-)

I enjoy practicing small frame IMA forms in a similar fashion. It has helped me stay lean and athletically fit for life. It's all good, brother. :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:32 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Hi, John! I like his performance, too. Crisp and clean, with fast, fluid changes and no stops or pauses. 8-)

I enjoy practicing small frame IMA forms in a similar fashion. It has helped me stay lean and athletically fit for life. It's all good, brother. :)

When I see video like this, I just feel like to work out. IMO, it sends out positive energy.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:27 pm

Very nice - also, it has a left jumping front kick, quite rare for a form...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:37 pm

edededed wrote:Very nice - also, it has a left jumping front kick, quite rare for a form...

This long fist form came from "梁山 Lian Shan" if people know the famous Chinese novel "Water Margin (Shuihu zhuan)".

Age can make difference. This is the same form that my long fist teacher Li Mao-Ching did.

This is what I did,

Last edited by johnwang on Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:40 pm

V nice long-fist performance, liked the downward planting punch and the obvious sweep kicks, not too 'wushu-ified' either! :)
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby edededed on Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:02 pm

johnwang wrote:This long fist form came from "梁山 Lian Shan" if people know the famous Chinese novel "Water Margin (Shuihu zhuan)".

Interesting to know - did it come from heroes (bandits?) who trained on the mountain?

Did any other forms come from there as well?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:10 am

edededed wrote:
johnwang wrote:This long fist form came from "梁山 Lian Shan" if people know the famous Chinese novel "Water Margin (Shuihu zhuan)".

Interesting to know - did it come from heroes (bandits?) who trained on the mountain?

Did any other forms come from there as well?

GM Han Chin-Tang learned this form in 梁山 Lian Shan area (no more detail). He had 2 teachers who taught him this Mai Fu form (埋伏拳). Later on, he named the 1st teacher's form as 1st road Mai Fu, and the 2nd teacher's form as 2nd road Mai Fu.

Here is the 2nd road Mai Fu. Both 1st road and 2nd road are considered as middle level long fist training forms.

Here is another long fist middle level training form used in GM Han's school.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:15 pm

johnwang wrote:GM Han Chin-Tang learned this form in 梁山 Lian Shan area (no more detail). He had 2 teachers who taught him this Mai Fu form (埋伏拳). Later on, he named the 1st teacher's form as 1st road Mai Fu, and the 2nd teacher's form as 2nd road Mai Fu.

Here is the 2nd road Mai Fu. Both 1st road and 2nd road are considered as middle level long fist training forms.

Thank you for the that - very interesting to know. The old teachers did not talk much, so whatever they said is valuable to know.

I have heard of other maifuquan forms from Taiwan as well - like maifuquan #3 and Yang jia maifuquan.
edededed
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan