Defensive approach vs. offensive approach

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Defensive approach vs. offensive approach

Postby Bao on Wed May 10, 2023 2:45 pm

If you are suddenly attacked, you have no other choice than to defend.
If you are uncertain if someone is going to attack you, it would not be wise to attack first.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dragonprawn on Mon May 15, 2023 5:07 am

Hi John
That Lin wrist lock comes from tai chi needle at sea bottom if I am not mistaken.
That meat grinder offense looks to require a fairly cooperative opponent.
Isn't that last one aka drag the begger?
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu May 18, 2023 4:45 am

neither

when you no longer feel a need to divide and choose between such things; you will have made some mighty progress!
think of it; an oasis where offence and defence are seamlessly integrated and interchanged according to the way action reveals itself/ unravels.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu May 18, 2023 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu May 18, 2023 4:49 am

Bao wrote:If you are suddenly attacked, you have no other choice than to defend.

lol.. surely though that can involve hitting back. sudden attacks won't really be defended against.
you'll just have to eat it generally and respond.

mostly your choice will be take some more or give some back first.
it may be luckier to just end it there and then.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu May 18, 2023 7:47 am

cloudz wrote:neither

when you no longer feel a need to divide and choose between such things; you will have made some mighty progress!
think of it; an oasis where offence and defence are seamlessly integrated and interchanged according to the way action reveals itself/ unravels.

nice :)

wish RSF had a like button

Very hard to get past the dichotomy of defense / offense.

Similarly taiji sometimes of in terms of Yin and yang, when it is both and neither.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri May 19, 2023 2:37 am

active defence is one way you could describe this idea, I guess.
And i include attacking back as part of defending oneself.as well feinting, enticing, faking for usable reactions..

all TCMA people should understand about control - it's the fundamental part of traditional Chinese arts
if you drop your goal or preference from being either attacking or defending to being in (a position of) control..

It's from THIS SPACE where you react to the others attacking/ reorganising attempts and to openings for attack simultaneously - however and whenever they present.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri May 19, 2023 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Fri May 19, 2023 5:45 am

cloudz wrote:active defence is one way you could describe this idea, I guess.
And i include attacking back as part of defending oneself.as well feinting, enticing, faking for usable reactions..

all TCMA people should understand about control - it's the fundamental part of traditional Chinese arts
if you drop your goal or preference from being either attacking or defending to being in (a position of) control..

It's from THIS SPACE where you react to the others attacking/ reorganising attempts and to openings for attack simultaneously - however and whenever they present.

Right, that's what I said/meant on the first page. You control the fight from the beginning. In this process, you control the space/centerline, lure your opponent to attack a certain position, move out of that position at the right time ("kong jin") and simultaneously defend/attack. I have posted examples of these principles being used in actual high-level fights (ring/street, "aliveness"), not just demos or lectures.

The act of "slipping" and "pulling" of punches for defense are the same movements for offensively striking, just with added punches. So, it can be difficult for an opponent to know whether you're defending, offending or both.

marvin8 wrote:There are other ways to train controlling your opponent without using the “offensive approach...”

I play both defense and offense harmonizing with the opponent. I use yin, ting, na, hua and fa (not limited to taiji), attacking while the opponent is double-weighted.
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan