Basic kicking/punching drill

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Basic kicking/punching drill

Postby johnwang on Thu May 18, 2023 11:21 am

I just found an excellent kicking/punching drill video that I like to share here. All comments are welcome.

Last edited by johnwang on Thu May 18, 2023 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Basic kicking/punching drill

Postby johnwang on Fri May 19, 2023 12:48 pm

Even if in your forms that you may only train 1 side and not the other side, you can always create your own training drills that you can train left and right equally.

When you get older, the low stance is getting harder and harder to do. For some MA systems that don't use low stance, they don't have this issue (or they try to avoid this issue).

I like to do those drills that have low stance. Instead of to avoid a problem, I prefer to face the problem and accept the challenge.

Here is a drill that's designed for this purpose. What's your opinion on this?

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat May 20, 2023 2:10 pm

The routines is functional as long as they are repeated over the "rest of one's life" ;D
It brings out the movement strategies despite the lower basin body type stooping that we often neglected in age > 60ish as I find myself cheating by being comfortable in a higher stance.
Other than changquan, my Lamaxiaquan with its elbow enhanced movements (in all planes ??? ) assists in decreasing the stiffness associated with not utilizing the 'upper jiao"!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat May 20, 2023 4:35 pm

yeniseri wrote:The routines is functional as long as they are repeated over the "rest of one's life" ;D
It brings out the movement strategies despite the lower basin body type stooping that we often neglected in age > 60ish as I find myself cheating by being comfortable in a higher stance.

When you get old, the low stance is getting harder and harder to do. For some MA systems that don't use low stance (such as WC, boxing, MT, ...), they don't have this issue (or they try to avoid this issue).

I like to do those drills that have low stance. Instead of to avoid a problem, I like to face the problem and accept the challenge.

As long as I can still stay in low stance, I feel I'm still young. That's a good reason for me to continue my CMA training.

From 4.05 - 4.33, this clip can prove that the roundhouse kick does exist in CMA.

Last edited by johnwang on Sat May 20, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed May 24, 2023 5:23 pm

The liuhe mantis "roundhouse" kick looks like a big adaptation of 揪腿 (typical mantis sweep). I wonder how they use it?

Low stances - why does it get harder when we get old? Is it due to the flexibility requirement? Or the leg strength requirement?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed May 24, 2023 6:23 pm

edededed wrote:Low stances - why does it get harder when we get old? Is it due to the flexibility requirement? Or the leg strength requirement?

Not leg strength but flexibility. Try see if you can still do this when you are 80 years old.

Last edited by johnwang on Wed May 24, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Wed May 24, 2023 7:36 pm

johnwang wrote:
edededed wrote:Low stances - why does it get harder when we get old? Is it due to the flexibility requirement? Or the leg strength requirement?

Not leg strength but flexibility. Try see if you can still do this when you are 80 years old.

[url=https://postimg.cc/Z9XtL4pP][img]https://i.postimg.cc/tT4qpggc/taizu-pubu.gif

I don't care if I get to be 80 and I don't care if I can do that move. I just want a nice gym like that to practice in, and a dozen people to practice with.

Ahh yes the ground slap. That move is in one of my forms. I also was taught the version of dragon on the ground where you go down all the way to the ground. These moves are hard but if you push yourself into them (after the required stretching), after a few months, the difficult part becomes getting back up again, like a deer learning to walk. Once you get that, after a few more months, you can do it and it gets easier.

if you ever stop then it goes away fast.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed May 24, 2023 8:08 pm

Appledog wrote:if you ever stop then it goes away fast.

After you have developed something, if you don't try to maintain it, you will lose it. You will find it's getting harder and harder to maintain it. Even if you may be able to maintain it when you are 80. But how about 90? How about 100? One day you will lose it any way. QAQ
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri May 26, 2023 7:09 pm

johnwang wrote:

Ah - flexibility - I found that I lost all my flexibility that I had when younger, I am trying to get it back now.

It's very very hard now - I don't feel any improvement at all! But can only try.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 pm

edededed wrote:Ah - flexibility - I found that I lost all my flexibility that I had when younger, I am trying to get it back now.

It's very very hard now - I don't feel any improvement at all! But can only try.

Here is another flexibility test - touch your hand on your foot.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 26, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun May 28, 2023 12:24 am

I will get to that next! Right now, trying to "revive" my pubu stance.

(When I was young, I scoffed at all those older folks who struggled at what was easy for me - I never dreamed that I would be in that situation myself.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun May 28, 2023 12:11 pm

edededed wrote:(When I was young, I scoffed at all those older folks who struggled at what was easy for me - I never dreamed that I would be in that situation myself.)

You do a crescent kick. When you were

- 50, you can touch your hand on your foot,
- 60, you can touch your hand on your ankle,
- 70, you can touch your hand on your knee,
- 80, you can only touch your hand on your upper leg, QAQ

Last edited by johnwang on Sun May 28, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun May 28, 2023 5:42 pm

Great kick - I remembered you said something about leaning while doing the xuanfengjiao, I can sometimes do it sort of on the right side, but never the left side!

I guess I am about age 50 level now for flexibility... Trying to get my youth back!
edededed
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan