Exploring Koryū With Ellis Amdur

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Postby ashe on Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:02 am

I was fortunate enough to sit down with Ellis Amdur for an hour and ask him some questions about koryū, his career, and his books.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Re: Exploring Koryū With Ellis Amdur

Postby JessOBrien on Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:26 pm

Cool! I always enjoy his perspective on Aikido and Japanese martial arts.
Thansk,
Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:10 pm

For the past 30+ years, I have not had instruction from a teacher but 2 years ago, I began instruction in Shinto Muso Ryu (SMR)(jo/staff) and it
was/is refreshing. Returning to a beginners mind is indeed a journey. I was the most inept on all fronts when compared to my 4 younger comrades.
Interestingly, it matched many of Chen dynamics especially in 'strength coming from the feet (foundation/grounding) then up to waist then discharged through upper body
depending on equivalent of 'hitting', throwing, redirecting, etc.

There even exists Koryu vs modernist "interpretations' though it can be contained therein (at least in SMR) its offshoot began to be passed on the Japan Polie Training recruits and up
the ranks as in RIot Control, etc where many learned to incorpotae jo into civil defense scenarios!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby ashe on Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:43 pm

JessOBrien wrote:Cool! I always enjoy his perspective on Aikido and Japanese martial arts.
Thansk,
Jess O

I've got two more already in the can: Serge Augier and Alex Kozma, plus Howard Popkin is in the queue for an interview about Diato-ryu. We were supposed to do it last Friday, but Howard had to reschedule.

We'll also release all the videos on our YouTube channel in the near future! #staytuned :-*
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan