what is the "mother palm" or the santi zhan zhuang of taiji

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: what is the "mother palm" or the santi zhan zhuang of taiji

Postby Bao on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 am

Trick wrote:“Hugging the tree” seem an easy enough exercise, and it actually is, but not in the way the inexperienced think. As Bruce point out, one should really seek out someone who KNOWS the exercise, get instructions in person.

Agreed. But the problem is that “hugging the tree” can vary a lot between schools and lineages. Some teachers' philosophies and methods can be totally contradicting in terms of how to do and what to do not. For instance, what the Yiquan master does in WW's photo is not what I personally would call "hugging the tree". It's more similar to something we call cross-fire posture. And I don't think that exact posture is called "hugging the tree" in Yiquan either. Sometimes postures look the same, or similar, on the surface, but the internal work and principles can be vastly different, and of course purpose and focus can differ a lot as well.

But for a teaser, to begin with Hugging the tree is more relevant than holding the ball, throw away the ball, and seek up an knowledgeable Yiquan guy, best go to China.

You can't find any practice in Yiquan that you can't find in Taijiquan. Only the fighting philosophy and body structural principles that are a bit different.
... Yes I know, people claim the guy invented Yiquan from Xingyi. But that is a simplification to say the least. Yiquan is more based on principles and exercises that could be found in most neijiaquan.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:53 am

hold the beach ball, be the yoga ball 8-)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:07 am

origami_itto wrote:
Like if you are in a bow stance, right foot forward, and I have your right arm with both hands, you're not going to be able to pick up that front foot to kick me, just won't happen, as soon as you pick it up I'm pulling you into the gap. If you try to come around from the other side with a punch from the left I can just put your right side in the way. That open crotch just doesn't matter in this particular context.

Sure, somebody REALLY good could move through that into an offense, maybe with a snake creeps down or something, it's all contextual and dependent on relative level, right? Generally speaking, though, I don't see people moving that well, and even if they could, the math favors YCF there, as described as a matter of timing.

I'm not here to try and convince anybody of anything, but if I had a penny for every "..but if you did that then I would just do this", I've ever heard I'd have, I don't know... 40p, 50p?

To quote somebody: "Ten minutes of firsthand experience with something beats days of carefully examining it from afar."
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:19 am

GrahamB wrote:
origami_itto wrote:
Like if you are in a bow stance, right foot forward, and I have your right arm with both hands, you're not going to be able to pick up that front foot to kick me, just won't happen, as soon as you pick it up I'm pulling you into the gap. If you try to come around from the other side with a punch from the left I can just put your right side in the way. That open crotch just doesn't matter in this particular context.

Sure, somebody REALLY good could move through that into an offense, maybe with a snake creeps down or something, it's all contextual and dependent on relative level, right? Generally speaking, though, I don't see people moving that well, and even if they could, the math favors YCF there, as described as a matter of timing.

I'm not here to try and convince anybody of anything, but if I had a penny for every "..but if you did that then I would just do this", I've ever heard I'd have, I don't know... 40p, 50p?

To quote somebody: "Ten minutes of firsthand experience with something beats days of carefully examining it from afar."

Well Graham, I am speaking of the timing of a fight from first hand experience. You might not be familiar with analyzing movement from this perspective, but it's fruitful. Were we together I could show you exactly what I mean in a way you would definitely be able to understand, but for now we have to rely on words.

Although I recognize of course that there is nothing you can learn from me.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:35 am

Don't be silly, I've always believed that you can learn something from anybody, even the human Pantera album that is Bruce.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby twocircles13 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:48 am

GrahamB wrote:Interesting, Richard,

I presume these are tracings of photographs of YCF, but that makes them clearer than photographs... Is this what you mean by a 2HHS?

Those look pretty good. Sometimes, the line drawings are not faithful to the actual photos.

Yes, generally speaking when someone in 2HHS when they turn toward the rear foot, the forward foot appears to be turned out 45°. When turned toward the forward foot, the rear foot appears to be turned inward 45°. Another feature is balanced weight. In our system, we typically talk about 51/49, but we really pay more attention to substantial and insubstantial and let the weight just takes care of itself. My observation is that we are usually between 40/60 and 60/40, but it’s a simple matter to slip into a 70/30 Bow/Arrow Stance or into an Empty Stance or even Jin Ji Du Li.

Notice how balanced YCF’s stances are and how his partners, in the first two, have gone to other less balanced stances.

GrahamB wrote:
If this is the combat stance, then how do you stop the obvious problem of your crown jewels being open for every conceivable attack?

That’s what the baggy pants and long robes are for!

LOL!!!

Since it’s a valid question, here's a valid answer.

We have talked about the knee alignment with the foot longitudinally in terms of whether or not the knees can push forward beyond the toes. Laterally, there is no question in Chen Taijiquan, at least, a plumb line dropped from the knee would fall inside the base between the two feet. Another way to view it is that the knee is on a line between the hip joint and the ankle joint, the legs forming the two sides of a triangle. This puts the legs ready to extend, explosively if needed, without causing damage to joint structures. This makes the stance very mobile, which is as good a defense as any to a groin attack. This not actually a static stance but a dynamic step, bù (步).

In this stance, structurally, the knee blocks the groin from straight-on attacks as we would try to line up with the opponent. The groin is set deep behind the knees and arms, which can help protect. In any static stance, there are angles that make any target vulnerable, or in protecting one, you leave others exposed. The best attack on the groin in this stance is from the rear, but even here, the rotation of the hips give some protection although the coccyx is pretty exposed.

Finally, I’ve mentioned before that, typically, we close the distance, so we are pressed right up against the opponent. The kind of long, deep kicks and punches required to reach the groin become extremely difficult. I’d be more worried about my eyes, throat, or other "low hanging fruit" than my groin. ;-)
Last edited by twocircles13 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:52 am

GrahamB wrote:Don't be silly, I've always believed that you can learn something from anybody, even the human Pantera album that is Bruce.

Though you may be wrong about many things, we can still agree that he is a twat. :D
-flame-
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:59 am

The photos may look 50/50 but it is a moving exercise not static stances
You need to have done these exercises to interprétâtes the photos
Not only these exercises but the walking 4 hands that precede them and the San shou that follows
If you are a Chen stylist you will interoperate them from a Chen mind set
This will only lead you down a false path
With all the discussion on ta Lu I have been looking at a lot of it on YouTube
So many steps missing in most clips I must conclude not many have been taught correctly or practiced in depth
Last edited by wayne hansen on Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:38 am

GrahamB wrote:Richard -

I've heard you talk of the split between goose and crane before, but the idea of two lineages in Chen village that can be traced by a goose or a crane used in the form is a new and fascinating possibility to me. The two lineages theory is older of course.

Also the idea that the first x postures represent the snake and the next x postures represent the crane, is a new one for me, but also a real possibility. Like you say, SPP has opened up the idea of the form as story telling vehicle to the wider Tai Chi world already... and that theory does fit with the way the forms are done - the opening moves have more of a snake, coiling quality, and the later crane/goose moves are followed by raise arms and brush knee, which are all very wing-like... however, it's also possible we are letting our imagination do a lot of the heavy lifting there...

Perhaps.

But, perhaps, the storyteller let his or her imagination to the heavy lifting too, and saw this too. The story becomes sort of a mnemonic, which is my preferred theory.

It is a theory, so let’s beat it up as much as we can to see how it holds up.

GrahamB wrote:I wonder how other styles of Tai Chi fit into that theory though... for instance, the "White Crane" posture in Wu style (Wu Jianquan), which would be a crane lineage in your theory, looks like both the "goose" posture of small frame and the "crane" postures - i.e. does this theory hold up across the board?

And, as we've discussed before, to make it even more confusing, my lineage calls it a stork, at least in the lineage passed on to me verbally - White Stork Cools its Wings. In the original book written by Gu Ruzhang on the lineage, he calls it a crane, or at least that's how Brennan translates it: "7 白鶴亮翅 WHITE CRANE SHOWS ITS WINGS" (interesting that both the snake and the crane mentioned in the form are "white" though).

In any case, Tai Chi has never (to me at least) taken the level of animal mimicry much beyond a simple tip of the hat from the name of a posture to an animal - crane, monkey, tiger... - if you compare that to the actual, much more shamanistic, 'taking on the spirit of an animal' approach of (older) Xing Yi and Xin Yi - that's on a different level.

Who can say what has been lost to the mists of time though, especially given the trauma these CMA lineages lived through - war, famine, lawlessness, chaos, republicanism wiping old non-scientific traditions out, then communism wiping everything out, etc...

We are often left with only echoes of the original idea.

G

RE: “Stork” this is most likely a translation artifact. Stork would be guàn (鹳), which can also mean crane, or guàn (雚), which now means heron but used to apply to storks too. This is why the Chinese characters matter. In form name lists with Chinese characters, for example, there is much less variation. English translations are all over the place.

RE: “White” While a white crane is now defined as a Siberian crane, although I think it used to refer to the Red-crested Crane. I think this usage was more symbolic than referring to a specific species, like Qinglong, Blue-green dragon, is a symbol that carries meaning. These were symbolic in Chinese culture and sometimes Daoism or Buddhism or both. I am not remembering specifics right now. You can search the Internet. Just remember the White Snake has to spit out its tongue to have relevance.

I find taijiquan uses animal essence, the one characteristic that an animal, or class of animals, represents, rather than animal mimicry. For example, a snake’s essence would be coiling, so we borrow coiling from the snake.

RE: The two Wu Jianquan pictures. Now, that is interesting, he does both. The character in the name text is crane, hè (鶴).

One of my working hypotheses is that Yang Luchan studied with both Chen Changxing and Chen Youben. He is likely to have seen the others performing their form after he was accepted as Changxing’s student. Why not teach both ways later on?

BTW, this is one piece of evidence that YLC was actually in the Chen Village, circumstantial as it may be.

I have done this. Incorporated the small frame-Chen Taijiquan White Goose sequence into my Practical Method form to see how it feels. I’ve not taught it, but I could to an advanced student or two as a variation. There are repetitions here, so it could be done white crane then white goose, or vice versa.

Remember also these are not postures, like the static pictures we see in photos. The word we translate posture is shì (势), which denotes a sequence of movements.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby twocircles13 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:51 am

wayne hansen wrote:The photos may look 50/50 but it is a moving exercise not static stances
You need to have done these exercises to interprétâtes the photos
Not only these exercises but the walking 4 hands that precede them and the San shou that follows
If you are a Chen stylist you will interoperate them from a Chen mind set
This will only lead you down a false path
With all the discussion on ta Lu I have been looking at a lot of it on YouTube
So many steps missing in most clips I must conclude not many have been taught correctly or practiced in depth

Thanks for that perspective.

I took into account the dynamics of the situation. But, I thought it more likely with the limitations of early 20th century photography in China that these pictures were somewhat posed, rather than action photos. That is, "Show some push hands, now hold it." YCF takes the ideal position and the partner a somewhat less balanced one.

However, you are right. Though I first learned exercises like these while studying Yang style, the knowledge has been subsumed by my Chen taijiquan training, so point taken. Especially, since I see only superficial differences between Chen and Yang taijiquan anymore.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby Steve James on Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:17 pm

Just remember the White Snake has to spit out its tongue to have relevance.

I find taijiquan uses animal essence, the one characteristic that an animal, or class of animals, represents, rather than animal mimicry. For example, a snake’s essence would be coiling, so we borrow coiling from the snake.

My first thought was that White Crane Spreads Wings is/can be an appropriate response to White Snake Spits Tongue. There's that old origin story about a guy watching a snake and crane fighting :). I always imagined that the snake represented the circular/coiling movement that allowed it to avoid the cranes linear thrusts/pecks. But, in these forms (shi), the snake attacks linearly, and the crane makes the circle with its wing.

It's just interesting. There's a Youtube video of a snake attacking a crane by biting its wing. Anyway, it's not like the secretary bird's method of dispatching cobra's. And, I lived in a place where there were lots of geese, and they'll flap you silly if you get in their way.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:30 pm

There is a pushing exercise that uses white stork against snake creeps
It is a hard one to do in a effective manner employing correct principles
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby ThomasK on Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:22 pm

Holy shit how could I not see this. Damn. Thanks.
ThomasK
Mingjing

Postby everything on Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:20 pm

ThomasK wrote:Holy shit how could I not see this. Damn. Thanks.

what is the "this"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby ThomasK on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:01 pm

You don't want to know or perhaps you already do. If you knew, you may not want to have known. Anyway, we're reaching our apex point. My own restrictions reflect upon myself like the ugliest mirror.

What army is marching beyond the abyss? Is anyone willing to do so?

Many notes wanting to be echoed by unknown walls.

All I am is a person discovering their own foolishness.

/Poetic end
ThomasK
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan