Dragon Body, Tiger spirit: REVIEW

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Dragon Body, Tiger spirit: REVIEW

Postby GrahamB on Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:35 am

Hi,

Reviewed RSF's Wushutiger's new book on the Xing Yi Classics:

https://thetaichinotebook.com/2023/11/1 ... on-jacobs/
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Dragon Body, Tiger spirit: REVIEW

Postby origami_itto on Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:35 am

Decent review. Though the endless division of the body into pieces is definitely helpful with doing bengquan correctly IMHO, ymmv
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:47 am

Ah the old 鼋鼍 Yuan Tuo debate. :D

I’m on team Turtle

But I think 熊鹰 Xiong Ying (Bear Eagle is actually a bird called a Hodgson's hawk-eagle

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:09 am

We have both a turtle and a crocodile - two separate animals with different movements (that makes 13 animals total, because we are a combo lineage) - the turtle movements are like a sea turtle (watch sea turtle vs shark for a good example), the crocodile movements are obviously a crocodile - lots of snapping jaws.

Last time I mentioned the bear eagle hawk all the tough Xing Yi dudes wet their pants, so I'm not going back there. ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:30 pm

According to my teacher there’s a soft-shelled turtle that’s a delicacy and you can find them in food markets sold live in little pools. Every little kid learns the lesson that when you try to touch their tail end, they spin 180 degrees on their own axis and bite you. Baguazhang’s Qilin system is based on this Xinyi animal.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:08 pm

D_Glenn wrote:According to my teacher there’s a soft-shelled turtle that’s a delicacy and you can find them in food markets sold live in little pools. Every little kid learns the lesson that when you try to touch their tail end, they spin 180 degrees on their own axis and bite you. Baguazhang’s Qilin system is based on this Xinyi animal.

Never seen a soft-shell turtle in China, neither in stores or in restaurants. But China is big, haven't been to all places.

I have also never before heard the qilin being associated with a turtle. Since the Ming dynasty it has rather been associated with the image of the giraffe. And in Japan, the Japanese version of the word "Kirin" is also the word for giraffe. A very different and rather "opposite" animal than a turtle. Often described as having dragon-like features.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Kinesiskt_lyckobådande_fabeldjur_med_drakhuvud%2C_hjortkropp_med_fjäll%2C_oxsvans_från_cirka_1750_-_Hallwylska_museet_-_95453.tif/lossy-page1-682px-Kinesiskt_lyckobådande_fabeldjur_med_drakhuvud%2C_hjortkropp_med_fjäll%2C_oxsvans_från_cirka_1750_-_Hallwylska_museet_-_95453.tif.jpg[/img]

Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:28 pm

D_Glenn wrote:According to my teacher there’s a soft-shelled turtle that’s a delicacy and you can find them in food markets sold live in little pools. Every little kid learns the lesson that when you try to touch their tail end, they spin 180 degrees on their own axis and bite you. Baguazhang’s Qilin system is based on this Xinyi animal.

yes, feisty little fellas. one of my local restaurants have them, keep them in buckets. ive never eaten any and will never do, but i like to check them out in their buckets, when they see me closely looking they seem to get ready for action.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:32 pm

Bao wrote:

Never seen a soft-shell turtle in China, neither in stores or in restaurants. But China is big, haven't been to all places.

I have also never before heard the qilin being associated with a turtle. Since the Ming dynasty it has rather been associated with the image of the giraffe. And in Japan, the Japanese version of the word "Kirin" is also the word for giraffe. A very different and rather "opposite" animal than a turtle. Often described as having dragon-like features.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Kinesiskt_lyckobådande_fabeldjur_med_drakhuvud%2C_hjortkropp_med_fjäll%2C_oxsvans_från_cirka_1750_-_Hallwylska_museet_-_95453.tif/lossy-page1-682px-Kinesiskt_lyckobådande_fabeldjur_med_drakhuvud%2C_hjortkropp_med_fjäll%2C_oxsvans_från_cirka_1750_-_Hallwylska_museet_-_95453.tif.jpg[/img]

actually those turtles are quite common in restaurants and seafood markets.

i agree about the Kirin, it should be quite clear here in china, Kirin beer are sold in many place and the logo is something as in your pic , chinese like beer so yes they should know 8-)
Last edited by Trick on Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:33 pm

Trick wrote:

yes, feisty little fellas. one of my local restaurants have them, keep them in buckets. ive never eaten any and will never do, but i like to check them out in their buckets, when they see me closely looking they seem to get ready for action.

I was in Chinatown SF and saw them. I was reaching into the bin to touch and the seller said no don’t touch. At the time I thought it was because it was food but now I know it was because they would have drew blood.

Bao, I didn’t mean to imply that the Qilin is anyway connected to a Turtle. That’s the last thing that DHC would have called it because it would have given his opponents a good insight into the strategy that it used.

The Qilin is an amalgamation of the other animal systems. It’s high level, meaning you would need to know some other animals before using Qilin. (It’s actually just Lin in Bagua. Qilin is both the male and female. Lin is just the female.)
The thing that is added is it’s all on the body of a Deer. And that is what is primary. It’s light and floaty. It hides devastating damage inside what looks soft and weak. The representative posture is to break someone’s forearm over your knee, while dislocating their kneecap with your toe kick. The opponent won’t even know how it happened.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan