Small weapons in CMA?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Small weapons in CMA?

Postby origami_itto on Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:40 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Would be interesting to see what others think defines a weapon
I just thought it was brutal when thé safety gear gets welded onto the body
What I mean by correct pressure is only using things that would work in a real fight with or without weapons as opposed to what poses for pushing hands these days

YES! Please. 100%. Show us some of the good stuff, man.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:28 am

everything wrote:I mainly only wonder about this topic when boarding planes. (fortunately, knock on wood) usually not in dangerous spaces except for the idiot drivers around here create some extreme danger. Extremely defensive driving is the main "self defense" skill needed on the daily.

Guess the weapon-like non-weapon objects I have normally at hand when boarding planes are: phone, keys, backpack, maybe a hardbound book. It would be fun (for maybe 2-3 minutes) to practice "forms" holding these objects .... probably xingyiquan 5 elements basics are enough. For the sake of idle chit-chat purposes, probably even more fun to do FMA patterns holding those.

if you havent brought one along just ask the stewardess for a news-paper, they still carry those on planes - a rolled up NP - the most clasic non weapon weapon :)
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:45 am

i remember an article decades ago in one of those american martial-arts magazines, a taijiquan/wing-chun teacher explained if facing a blade wielding aggressor it was a good idea to put ones shoes one ones hands for defence !

maybe a good idea if one havent got the option to run away ? ? .....hope no broken glass or such on the ground :)
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:48 pm

That’s why I always wear two pairs of shoes when I go out
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 pm

Trick wrote:if you havent brought one along just ask the stewardess for a news-paper, they still carry those on planes - a rolled up NP - the most clasic non weapon weapon :)

or roll up your jacket around your arm (according to spy movies)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:28 pm

My father taught me the rolled newspaper back in the 60,s
Next time I saw it was doing a FMA demo in the 70,s
The teacher was telling the audience how deadly it was while hitting me full power
I was going to return fire when the demo stopped
I later had a talk with the teacher
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:22 pm

this also makes me want to study FMA
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:24 pm

everything wrote:
Trick wrote:if you havent brought one along just ask the stewardess for a news-paper, they still carry those on planes - a rolled up NP - the most clasic non weapon weapon :)

or roll up your jacket around your arm (according to spy movies)

spies cut holes in their news papers, so they have to relay on the second best tool for weapon
Trick
Huajing

Postby everything on Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:30 pm

;D
everything
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:48 pm

BruceP wrote: long-handled spade...framing or claw hammer.

How would you all posting in this thread approach the use of those tools as self-defense items?

BruceP
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:02 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Would be interesting to see what others think defines a weapon
I just thought it was brutal when thé safety gear gets welded onto the body
What I mean by correct pressure is only using things that would work in a real fight with or without weapons as opposed to what poses for pushing hands these days

Perception and intent are the distinguishing factors

The safety gear was welded to my body at my urging/consent

Testing with non-weapon items is tricky and requires correct pressure (Properly Structured Sparring) that is congruent with the the individual's Personal Combat first and foremost. PC being the immediacy of one's current situation/circumstance, physical wherewithal, lifestyle etc
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby YMAA Cape Cod on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:12 pm

Our YMAA Southern White Crane included short rods (that aren't VERY small) and yin-yang Sai.

Last edited by YMAA Cape Cod on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YMAA Cape Cod
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan