Any other teachers like He Jinghan?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Any other teachers like He Jinghan?

Postby johnwang on Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:00 pm

When you turn and move both hands parallel. You can do the following ways.

1. leading palm face down, back palm face up.
2. leading palm face up, back palm face down.
3. both palms face up.
4. both palms face down.
5. both palms face in.
6. both palms face out.

I also don't see any meaningful applications for 2, 3 and 5.

For health, all training will give you the same health result. For application, some make sense, some don't.

Will you tell your students that all 6 ways are valid? Your students may ask you which way is invalid. What's your explanation to them?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:27 pm

johnwang wrote:When you turn and move both hands parallel. You can do the following ways.

3. both palms face up.
4. both palms face down.
5. both palms face in.
6. both palms face out.

For health, all training will give you the same health result. For application, some make sense, some don't.

Will you tell your students that all 6 ways are valid? Your students may ask you which way is invalid. What's your explanation to them?

I'd only tell a student what I could/would use it. I disagree that those are the only hand position/combination. It will depend on intent, for ex whether it's a push, pull, grab, or release. Though, I'd agree that 1 and 4 are the most orthodox. But, the others might work for someone else.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:30 pm

johnwang wrote:When you turn and move both hands parallel. You can do the following ways.

3. both palms face up.
4. both palms face down.
5. both palms face in.
6. both palms face out.

I already explained the palms down above. Context matters.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:48 pm

Last edited by Appledog on Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:07 pm

That lower woman, it looks like her arm is powered by her body but it doesn't appear to be connected to the mass meaningfully. I could be wrong.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:47 pm

this chat really makes the idea of baguazhang "palms" a lot more interesting
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bob on Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:41 pm

origami_itto wrote:That lower woman, it looks like her arm is powered by her body but it doesn't appear to be connected to the mass meaningfully. I could be wrong.

You're not wrong - it's a good observation - her lower body doesn't appear well integrated with her upper body although conceptually she seems to understand the idea
Last edited by Bob on Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:11 pm

origami_itto wrote:That lower woman, it looks like her arm is powered by her body but it doesn't appear to be connected to the mass meaningfully. I could be wrong.

An arrow isn't connected to the mass of the bow. The bow still imparts energy to the arrow, and the arrow still gets the job done...
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:47 am

Tong Bei always looks very cool, but you'd have to have invested heavily in iron palm methods to swing the back of your hand that hard into something like a human head.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:52 am

everything wrote:this chat really makes the idea of baguazhang "palms" a lot more interesting

Always interesting to see how the Chinese arts are deeply connected to each other.

Bhassler wrote:

An arrow isn't connected to the mass of the bow. The bow still imparts energy to the arrow, and the arrow still gets the job done...

Don't really know if I should agree or disagree with anyone of you. You can drive the force with the use of the mass, but you can also and/or, support it with mass upon impact. Different mechanics really. Though they would look virtually the same for an untrained eye.

I've been taught several exact same exercises you find in Tongbei from Tai Chi and Bagua teachers. The only one who really knew how to utilize his mass to the maximun was a Tai Chi teacher I met in Beijing. Interestingly enough, his Tai Chi was also probably the "softest" and most supple I've seen. His form looked like slow dance. Otherwise he looked quite strong and sturdy and smoked all of the time.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 am

Bob wrote:

You're not wrong - it's a good observation - her lower body doesn't appear well integrated with her upper body although conceptually she seems to understand the idea

Thank you for confirming that.

Bhassler wrote:An arrow isn't connected to the mass of the bow. The bow still imparts energy to the arrow, and the arrow still gets the job done...

Sure, just understanding the specific mechanics here. Like she's saying "Through the back" but the arm and hand seems like a wrecking ball on a line, she even says "arms like a rope" so they're more passive and disconnected. In my understanding, it seems like that would limit the force she could express to what could produced with the mass of the arms and hands and that the impact would tend to stick in the looseness of the shoulder there.

What I can't see is if there's some tension or maybe cultivated musculature holding the shape properly that prevents that joint mobility on impact with a slack limb. Maybe that's what the exercise produces is that proper seating and cushioning of the shoulder to avoid injury when you move from leaves to solid objects as targets.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:26 am

GrahamB wrote:Tong Bei always looks very cool, but you'd have to have invested heavily in iron palm methods to swing the back of your hand that hard into something like a human head.

New Roadhouse movie is about to drop: This comment reminds me of the first fight here in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ZsLudtfjI
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:24 am

Which ways do palms face in “standard” arm drags
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:50 pm

everything wrote:Which ways do palms face in “standard” arm drags

The hand on the wrist faces down. The hand on the elbow faces up.

Both Yin is not proper. Both Yang is not proper either. One Yin and one Yang is the way to do it.

Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 pm

Is that an answer to the #2 not useful?

Maybe some of these are also sideways
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan