Turn your head back

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Turn your head back

Postby Steve James on Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:40 pm

:) Anyway, as I said, there are more than five "stances" in tcc. Don't believe me, count for yourself.

Secondly, ime, the word "retreat" is misunderstood, as is "yielding." Afa going straight back, Retreat Gorilla ... might not work. But, in general, retreat is just a direction (like reverse and forward). Looking left and right involves turning the waist, and there's only so much it can turn before the feet have to change. Again, not an opinion, try it yourself. Nobody's going to tell you their 'secrets.'
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:57 pm

origami_itto wrote:With leg skill, do you differentiate between "hitting" the thigh or lower leg versus setting the hip against their hip and then moving them across it?

Leg skill = use your leg to knock one or both of your opponent's legs off the ground and end with single leg balance. So, end with single leg balance is the key. Shin bite is one exception.

push + leg skill = throw

Example - inner hook:

Last edited by johnwang on Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:08 pm

Steve James wrote:To get to Fedor's level, you'll have to become really good at external to be able to get to beat him using internal. Nobody starts out 'internal' except in their own minds. Everyone goes from not having a skill (or using li) before having the 'skill' to not use it. :)

yup, why it won't happen. but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to try to pursue your own "internal/external". even if we cannot beat lebron or messi at 1v1 in basketball or futbol, we can work on our own "game". but "li" can be in the way of "jin" so it's all kind of more difficult.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:27 pm

Steve James wrote::) Anyway, as I said, there are more than five "stances" in tcc. Don't believe me, count for yourself.

Secondly, ime, the word "retreat" is misunderstood, as is "yielding." Afa going straight back, Retreat Gorilla ... might not work. But, in general, retreat is just a direction (like reverse and forward). Looking left and right involves turning the waist, and there's only so much it can turn before the feet have to change. Again, not an opinion, try it yourself. Nobody's going to tell you their 'secrets.'

The secrets keep themselves. They hide behind the work.

Here's my understanding of the five steps/attitudes/changes/phases in brief incorrect summary but pointing at the idea some

Earth - Central Equilibrium, I wrote an article about this: https://atomictaichi.com/2023/12/07/und ... ing-force/
Fire - Advance - if they give ground, take it, if there is an opening, exploit it, do not hesitate, flow around resistance
Water - Reverse - Counter an advance, really I feel like this is the first one people get, neutralize and return
Metal - Watch/Gaze Left - evading and attacking simultaneously, it's hard to explain, this is what I feel scared Robert Smith, it's like ... whack a mole? Like with the snake, you attack one end and the other attacks you. Not neutralized or reversed or retreated. Just disappear and reappear I guess is in here.
Wood - Expect/Look right - feinting to draw an attack to exploit or otherwise pull focus in one direction with the intention of attacking "behind" it.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:32 pm

Look left
Gaze right
There lies the secret
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:42 pm

The books usually say look right and gaze left.
Is dyslexia the secret?
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:56 pm

Just for the sake of argument let’s say I am correct
If by chance I was why would it be
Glance Right
Look Left
Why use those words
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:25 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Just for the sake of argument let’s say I am correct
Glance Right
Look Left
Why use those words

It's been asked before...

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=15

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... fd902a6020
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:35 pm

interesting old threads. the skateboard orientation part is funny. no way i can put my R foot forward (is that goofy or natural). i also push with my rear foot ("bad")
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:27 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Just for the sake of argument let’s say I am correct
Glance Right
Look Left
Why use those words

Correct about WHAT?
wayne hansen wrote:Look left
Gaze right
There lies the secret

Is it glance or gaze or look or what?

Are you really pinning the understanding on the meaning of English translations of jargon?

If that definition is so critical could you maybe... I dunno... be consistent in the word you use?

As I mentioned the translations usually go look right, gaze left, and while the left and right are meaningless in and of themselves, I've heard them contextualized as in a right foot forward bow stance.

From that context, while looking forward, what freedom of movement lies to the left and right.

In the Dong family red book, the translation is as I wrote above Watch Left and Expect Right.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:47 pm

Gaze or glance little difference
Look quite different
When you understand the function it is obvious
When you don’t no words will help
Skateboarding it matters little right or left on the board but front or back makes the difference
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 pm

wayne hansen wrote:It is similar to a basic karate form

As for basic Karate katas, shorin or shorei ? But let’s take the pinan/heian katas, in those there are some not so obvious for a beginner to see gems hidden, actually quite similar to authentic TJQ methods .
And as for shotokans absolute beginners katas, the ones that are supposed to be learned before the heian-katas, they are named Taiji(taikyuku), something that the founder expressed was the way of practice the advanced practitioners would eventually come back to and highly value, indicating something deeper than just a name and simple linear form.

Perhaps the same can be the case with the simplified 24 form….if one learns it correctly and stays with it for some lengthy time ? It was put together by people with serious background in serious linages so something of value there must be to be found.
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:09 pm

I was comparing it to the simplified kata put together for the Japanese schooling system
You are right anything can be of value trained in the right manner
The short coming in the 24 is not it’s lack of movement across the floor
It is the lack of movement within the stance at the beginning stages
The 123 white stork 123 play pi pa 1234 reverse as opposed to the changes of direction in the 108 in the first 12 movements
It lays down a different special awareness right from the start
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:04 am

wayne hansen wrote:Gaze or glance little difference
Look quite different
When you understand the function it is obvious
When you don’t no words will help
Skateboarding it matters little right or left on the board but front or back makes the difference

I mean I can get with this, but look and gaze, in english, mean the same thing.
look
/lo͝ok/
verb
direct one's gaze toward someone or something or in a specified direction.

gaze
/ɡāz/
verb
look steadily and intently, especially in admiration, surprise, or thought.

glance1
/ɡlans/
verb
take a brief or hurried look.

So to paraphrase:

look = gaze in a particular direction
gaze = look intently
glance = look briefly

So if you're trying to communicate a particular meaning based on the English meaning of the words saying that's the secret than I don't know if two antonyms (gaze and glance) make sense.

Can you just try to speak directly about the matter? The little riddles and guessing games are cute and all, but it does little to help actual understanding, it's a good way to get 50 more people to invent 50 more things for it to mean.

I set down in some detail descriptions of the ideas, how does your understanding of "the secret" here differ from that description?
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:20 am

I think u should just ignore what I say
I don’t really to examine your stuff
As I have said before my writing here is for others
If no person gets anything out of what I say it is just an exercise for myself
You may be right