Training with Music

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Training with Music

Postby Appledog on Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:05 am

Some people like to listen to music while practicing, others advise against it. I'm aware of various reasons why you would or would not want to listen to music while practicing. As a teacher I often find that playing music while practicing is good for a class but not as vital for personal practice. Also, as someone who likes to walk a lot, I like listening to music when I exercise. The flipside is that if I am in a gym or otherwise surrounded by people I like to stay off the phones and pay more attention to my surroundings.

I'd like to pose a two part question. For those of you who don't like to listen to or play music during training, why not?

And for those of you who do, would you like to please share some of the music you play during practice? As for me, I have been curating a number of playlists over the years. Here is the 2024 version of "m3" which is morning No. 3, a high-energy anime/game/future funk playlist with attached videos suitable for an older children's or teen's class. I am also curating a "zhou xuan and friends" (tsai chin, teresa teng, etc) playlist, but it is at least a month or two from being completed.

P.S. Please let me know which songs on this playlist you don't like! Especially if you are a fan of this music. I'm looking to curate, to remove songs that don't fit the list. Thanks.

Last edited by Appledog on Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Re: Training with Music

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:03 pm

I initially learned T. T. Liang's form, which he modified to fit exactly to music to keep students together when practicing.

I don't generally listen to it myself when practicing, though my push hands partner lately has brought his speaker along to play like trance type stuff and some chinesey sounding stuff sometimes, it makes for better background for the videos.

I'm making my own music so want to score the videos at some point when the content is worth it.

By the same vein, I've been considering writing something to go with each of the forms I'm practicing just as an extra practice. Try to communicate information about the postures in the music.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:02 pm

I need less distraction. It takes a while to get into the zone. More neigong, less MA, less everything else. Much, much, much harder to do than learning some MA or sport move or anything else in the world. Most of it due to the brain itself being its own a distraction. A little music in a yoga class, OTOH, I kinda like it. I guess if you can kinda put the distracted portion of the brain on some kind of background focus so the rest of your brain can focus, maybe it's quite helpful.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 pm

If you practice better together with music, I would say go with it. Rhythm and flow is important, but I think you rather need to find it within yourself. I seldom listen to music while practicing, emptiness of the mind has more to offer. But when I have music on, I prefer slow, sad, melancholic music. Instrumental only.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:16 pm

This about music during practice was something I came to think about reading the “Taijiquan and BP” in the off topic section.
While aerobics exercises may have good health effects and perhaps keep one’s BP at good levels,
but maybe that’s not the case in the long run with aerobic classes at the preppy gym where a overly peppy instructor yell instructions to keep up with extremely upbeat rhythmic tunes that seem to try to outplay the leaders peppiness.

While in a regular Taiji class for healt where often harmonious soft melodies are the tunes, the music in it self may play a great part in the practitioners health management ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby Bao on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:38 pm

I went through the playlist fast. Hated the whole thing. What kind of exercises would you do to this annoying crap??? I guess aerobics could work. But any sort of focused or mindful IMA practice? I would have run away from a teacher putting on anything even close to this. Damn.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 pm

Try. Canyon Trilogy by Carlos R Nakai
Most music leads the inner process
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:57 am

Appledog wrote:
P.S. Please let me know which songs on this playlist you don't like! Especially if you are a fan of this music. I'm looking to curate, to remove songs that don't fit the list. Thanks.

I don't dislike the music in that playlist but I don't think it would fit the vibe I'm trying to cultivate in a class at all.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 am

Trick wrote:This about music during practice was something I came to think about reading the “Taijiquan and BP” in the off topic section.
While aerobics exercises may have good health effects and perhaps keep one’s BP at good levels,
but maybe that’s not the case in the long run with aerobic classes at the preppy gym where a overly peppy instructor yell instructions to keep up with extremely upbeat rhythmic tunes that seem to try to outplay the leaders peppiness.

While in a regular Taiji class for healt where often harmonious soft melodies are the tunes, the music in it self may play a great part in the practitioners health management ?

hmm yes, that music is to rev you up. not to relax you.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:24 am

hmm not everyone will like the same music. so instead of focusing on specific types, what do you think about the kinda-mathematical notions of specific Hz music for specific brain wave frequencies? For example... (random google ai bits or excerpts):

Binaural beats in the theta (4 to 8 Hz) range are linked to REM sleep, reduced anxiety, relaxation, as well as meditative and creative states. Binaural beats in the alpha frequencies (8 to 13 Hz) are thought to encourage relaxation, promote positivity, and decrease anxiety.

5 Best Meditation Frequencies in 2024 – Start Your Journey
Gamma Waves (30 – 100 Hz)
Beta Waves (12 – 30 Hz) ...
Alpha Waves (8 – 12 Hz) ...
Theta Waves (4 – 8 Hz) ...
Delta Waves (0.5 – 4 Hz) Delta waves, the slowest brainwave frequency ranging from 0.5 to 4 Hz, immerse us in the realm of deep sleep and profound relaxation. ...

What does 432 Hz do to the brain?
Moreover, studies have shown that listening to 432 Hz music can help to stimulate the brain's alpha waves, which are associated with a state of wakeful relaxation. This can lead to increased mental clarity and focus, making it easier to stay on task and be productive throughout the day.

The Solfeggio frequencies all have distinct benefits, but 528 Hz stands out in terms of its healing powers. It’s also often referred to as the Love Frequency or the Vibration of Love.

The 528 Hz frequency is found in almost every living organism, from human DNA to chlorophyll. It’s also one of the Solfeggio frequencies with proven health benefits. It has a deep-rooted relationship with nature. Chlorophyll (in plants) vibrates at this frequency. Bees buzz at this magical frequency to pollinate flowers. And the air we breathe is made up of this exact number of Hz.

have you tried any of those?
Last edited by everything on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:56 am

everything wrote:hmm not everyone will like the same music. so instead of focusing on specific types, what do you think about the kinda-mathematical notions of specific Hz music for specific brain wave frequencies? For example... (random google ai bits or excerpts):

Binaural beats in the theta (4 to 8 Hz) range are linked to REM sleep, reduced anxiety, relaxation, as well as meditative and creative states. Binaural beats in the alpha frequencies (8 to 13 Hz) are thought to encourage relaxation, promote positivity, and decrease anxiety.

5 Best Meditation Frequencies in 2024 – Start Your Journey
Gamma Waves (30 – 100 Hz)
Beta Waves (12 – 30 Hz) ...
Alpha Waves (8 – 12 Hz) ...
Theta Waves (4 – 8 Hz) ...
Delta Waves (0.5 – 4 Hz) Delta waves, the slowest brainwave frequency ranging from 0.5 to 4 Hz, immerse us in the realm of deep sleep and profound relaxation. ...

What does 432 Hz do to the brain?
Moreover, studies have shown that listening to 432 Hz music can help to stimulate the brain's alpha waves, which are associated with a state of wakeful relaxation. This can lead to increased mental clarity and focus, making it easier to stay on task and be productive throughout the day.

The Solfeggio frequencies all have distinct benefits, but 528 Hz stands out in terms of its healing powers. It’s also often referred to as the Love Frequency or the Vibration of Love.

The 528 Hz frequency is found in almost every living organism, from human DNA to chlorophyll. It’s also one of the Solfeggio frequencies with proven health benefits. It has a deep-rooted relationship with nature. Chlorophyll (in plants) vibrates at this frequency. Bees buzz at this magical frequency to pollinate flowers. And the air we breathe is made up of this exact number of Hz.

have you tried any of those?

I would say for off the shelf type stuff.

Massive Attack, Chet Faker, Erykah Baduh, Boards of Canada, especially "Music Has the Right to Children"

I have a friend in the UK who used to write instructional manuals for courses about various OS system internals and operations, retired and started putting out some interesting and experimental type stuff on Spotify as "Boredom Boy" that's a good fit. Support Independant Artists! Here's a youtube playlist of his more energetic type stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hEzsK- ... TPOlU5vaPe

I think a playlist can be a good way to move the class along.

Music is how we decorate time, it's no coincidence that the classes that incorporate music have huge attendance.

I know some tai chi teachers that keep their rice bowl full with Zumba, for example.

Spin class uses different songs for different segments, energy to match the exercise.

Research shows that we learn better when we keep a playful and relaxed mind and music can help with that. You can match the emotional intensity of the music with the desired mood and energy of each segment of instruction, and/or each particular exercise.

This can help you keep students in an exercise longer both because it provides an extra layer of stimulus to distract from discomfort, but also an idea of how much longer they need to do something, and that can be the motivation that helps them stick it out.

With form, if you have a particular song or set of songs that can serve several purposes:

1 - learning by the numbers, you will be here on beat 1, here on beat 2, etc
2 - disciplined pace, rather than speeding and slowing as our mind quickens and lapses, we sync to the beat. Just like learning a musical instrument this allows us to drill and perfect the movement at a particular speed, 30 beats per minute, per se, and once we've got that down, we can just play a faster version of the song to play a quicker form.
3- movement cues, even if the song isn't written for the form, if played consistently musical cues will align with movement cues that help the student remember where they are in the form and when they need to transition out of repeated postures for example.

The student can then interface with the music and the form in different ways for different training purposes, focusing on pushing the physical, opening and stretching, cultivating energy, meditation, relaxation, whatever.

Just my thoughts, and the more I think of it the more I want to write that music.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:38 am

you can write it? damn. please let us know if you release some of it.

i really like this idea that those waves are not just for listening pleasure but a kind of "energy" that can affect our mind/body in a positive way.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:17 am

Dropping this one here too, I think this would be an excellent pick for background music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRxGdKIuO20

Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:17 am

everything wrote:you can write it? damn. please let us know if you release some of it.

i really like this idea that those waves are not just for listening pleasure but a kind of "energy" that can affect our mind/body in a positive way.

I got something planned for that.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan